Sign in to follow this  
blackmoors

New Life Spectrum pellet help

Ok well ive been using new life spectrum goldfish formula pellets for a while now and im happy with it as a pellet food (still use bloodworms, frozen food etc etc aswell)

But my lfs has told me about a deal on a 2.27kg (5lb) bucket of new life spectrum.

Only issue is its not goldfish formula.

Its medium fish formula suit fresh or marine fish

Or large fish formula suit fresh or marine fish.

Ive read the packs of a few spectrum products and they have identical ingredients. Inc the protien % and fat, ash, moisture % etc etc.

Its like they have just cut and pasted the ingredients content onto every pack??

Cichlids an goldfish formula for example are identical. ..

So what im wanting to know is. Will the medium fish formula etc be ok?

Are they the same??

I like the fact that spectrum pellets are sinking type. Where as most of the hikari pellets are floating that I can find (and hikari goldfish pellets are getting hard ro find here for some reason just cichlids discus etx etc)

I need to know asap so they can order some in.

But I dont want to waste my $$$$ if it's no good

What size pellets are you using now? To tell you the truth, I am using the goldfish formula in one tank, and not the other, and there really isn't a difference.

I would definitely NOT get the large pellets. Those are the devil's work. :rofl

The medium should probably be OK.

Well thats just it.

The medium and large fish formula are both avail in 2mm, 3mm & 4.5mm sizes.....

Im using the 3mm pellet atm which is fine for my larger fish. But some of my new ranchu's and butterfly tails struggle with the 3mm size.

So they prob need to see the pepper grinder for those fish.

Im contemplating the 2mm pellets as they can all eat them then.

Thats about same size as the hikari lionhead pellets which most seem to handle well (bar one of the chu's he's tiny so may be moving him to a qt on his own so I know he eats)

What food do u use in the other tank??

I think the 2mm pellets are almost perfect. :)

For the other tank, it's just the generic NLS formula. I also use the Thera-A. :)

I also can no longer find many hikari brands for goldfish. Can't find a store here that even stocks hikari lionhead anymore. Last time I was able to buy it in store was February. Now it's gone :idont

I love NLS, and so do my fish :rofl

Still, my favorite is still Hikari Lionhead. :P

I second hikariionhead! Inhave no floaters on it, and I can see growth already in the length, humps, and wens of my fish :)

hikariionhead!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

:tomuch: :tomuch:

I managed to get a 350gm back of the hikari lionhead on the weekend. My lfs stocks it. But every shop I speak to here are saying theyre moving more to spectrum. .. dunno why? Both seem good to me. Maybe hikari is harder to import?

So do you all think the new life spectrum medium fish formula pellets will be ok??

Its a really good price.

I think it will be good. I should tell Helen to contact you. May be you guys can share or something, or she can get some herself? :o

On second thought, that won't work. She doesn't need that much. :rofl

no no, i don't offer change to my stock..

they get Thera +A and the Repashy range. that's it...

Mr Blackmoors, i think you should ask the supplier the expiry date on their product they're offering.. find out how long it will take your fish to consume such a quantity & then decide. it is not unusual at all that fish can fall gravely ill on food that has gone rancid. sometimes buying in bulk is just not worth it.

I found the NLS pellets too hard, even after a good soaking they were still hard in the middle. Gave my Ranchu some digestive probs. The hikari saki pellets soften down really well after only 5-10 mins.

I found the NLS pellets too hard, even after a good soaking they were still hard in the middle. Gave my Ranchu some digestive probs. The hikari saki pellets soften down really well after only 5-10 mins.

How did you determine that they were too hard?

In any case, we've had a number of discussions about soaking on here, and I have to say though that even though some people do soak, it's not a very good idea because you lose nutrients. Goldfish should not have any problems with these pellets. In fact, I have not had any issue with any pellets. The only times I've ever had a fish spit it out was when it had major flukes issues and can't eat anything but blood worms.

Thera +A is that the new life spectrum one?

Theyre selling that too.

As for the expiry date I wont find that out as they have to order it in (they dont have it yet)

Also ive looked at all my new life spectrum jars and I cant find an expiration date anywhere on the jars??

yep.. 3mm with loads of garlic... phew phew.. haha

i got the 300g one. that's loads of food for my sharks :)

how many fish do you have? and roughly what are their sizes?

Hmmmm I just did a quick mental count and not counting the fry/babies, but upwards of 80 fish ranging in size from approx 2" upto 10".

These are spread throughout my ponds and tanks.

Guest Mr Grump

We soak our NLS spectrum pellets over-night (8 hours). They are just right in the morning.

as long as you know that your stock can consume the product prior to it's expiry, i don't see why you shouldn't go for the discount you're after. be sure to store it correctly..

link me to your media for the ponds.. i want to have a stickybeak :D

Im not sure how to do links.

I have a thread in the pond section about one of my ponds.

In any case, we've had a number of discussions about soaking on here, and I have to say though that even though some people do soak, it's not a very good idea because you lose nutrients. Goldfish should not have any problems with these pellets. In fact, I have not had any issue with any pellets. The only times I've ever had a fish spit it out was when it had major flukes issues and can't eat anything but blood worms.

My ranchu has to have his pellets soft or he gets problems. No idea why. But he is very very round, so probably a less then efficient digestive track than some goldies. Even after 20 mins of soaking the NLS pellets were hard in the middle. Hikari saki ones goes very soft quickly and he has no trouble digesting.

I note Mr Grump soaks his NLS for 8 hours to make them soft... gives us an idea just how hard they are.

Im not sure how to do links.

I have a thread in the pond section about one of my ponds.

ok, i will check it out :)

My ranchu has to have his pellets soft or he gets problems. No idea why. But he is very very round, so probably a less then efficient digestive track than some goldies. Even after 20 mins of soaking the NLS pellets were hard in the middle. Hikari saki ones goes very soft quickly and he has no trouble digesting.

I note Mr Grump soaks his NLS for 8 hours to make them soft... gives us an idea just how hard they are.

i soak my Thera +A for about 10 seconds.. until they sink to the bottom & then give a quick stir with the spoon. but i use very little tank water and the whole lot (tank water & food) goes in during feeding. i just feel that they do have some air in them and seeing it come out whilst they sink provides comfort to my mind that this eliminates possible floating issues. my fish do not currently have floaty issues, but i just feel this is something i need to do.

also, i have a pearlscale with a tiny mouth. she has no problems downing a 3mm quickly soaked Thera +A pellet and i am fairly confident that none of my fish have problems chewing the food. it's all gobbled up within mins & they're foraging for leftovers for hours.

We soak our NLS spectrum pellets over-night (8 hours). They are just right in the morning.

This is a little crazy, and goes against everything that NLS says.

This is more a testament to how well NLS holds together to keep your water clean, not how hard the pellets are.

If you have to soak that much, use something else. You've lost probably much of the nutrition by soaking like that, I'm sorry to say.

Well thats just it.

The medium and large fish formula are both avail in 2mm, 3mm & 4.5mm sizes.....

Im using the 3mm pellet atm which is fine for my larger fish. But some of my new ranchu's and butterfly tails struggle with the 3mm size.

So they prob need to see the pepper grinder for those fish.

Im contemplating the 2mm pellets as they can all eat them then.

Thats about same size as the hikari lionhead pellets which most seem to handle well (bar one of the chu's he's tiny so may be moving him to a qt on his own so I know he eats)

What food do u use in the other tank??

I have used the 2mm Medium Fish Formula with my goldies. It works fine. I will say that the NLS 2mm swell a bit more in the water than the Hikari Lionhead. I also notice that NLS doesn't sink quite as fast as HL. So, maybe do a quick, 30 sec soak in a cup of tank water. Overall, NLS is a good food.

Edited by jmetzger72

This is a little crazy, and goes against everything that NLS says.

This is more a testament to how well NLS holds together to keep your water clean, not how hard the pellets are.

If you have to soak that much, use something else. You've lost probably much of the nutrition by soaking like that, I'm sorry to say.

Maybe the British pellets are different?