Betta setup help ASAP

LauraThe3xplora

I got this beautiful active betta at Petsmart today after secretly plotting to get one for my dorm all summer. I havent had bettas in years and I cared for them badly before out of ignorance.I had almost everything I needed so I got some CaribSea sand, a measly pack of silk plants, and some betta food. Right now he's still in the cup in a warm room. I don't have time to do research on Prazi, so can someone tell me how much to use? I'm gonna add the sand to my 10gal tank, let it settle, fire up my 10gal filter with media from my goldfish tank, heat it up, and acclimate the fish into the water. I have Prime and salt if I need that. Can anyone provide me some quick advice on setting up my betta? Thanks so much :)

Congrats on the new addition! please post pics when you get things setup!

For the 10 gallon you will use 1/2 teaspoon of prazi.

Follow the typical prazi schedule, but no salt. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

Set heater to 78-82. Sounds like you have the rest covered :) Your betta will definitely appreciate a decent number of plants and/or decorations to explore, so you may end up needing more depending on what you bought to start with.

Congrats on the new addition! please post pics when you get things setup!

For the 10 gallon you will use 1/2 teaspoon of prazi.

Follow the typical prazi schedule, but no salt. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105076-schedules-for-the-treatment-of-flukes-etc-using-praziquantel/

Set heater to 78-82. Sounds like you have the rest covered :) Your betta will definitely appreciate a decent number of plants and/or decorations to explore, so you may end up needing more depending on what you bought to start with.

Thank you!! The heater I have right now is one of those automatic ones (not ideal, I plan to upgrade soon) but I know it will heat up to at least 78*F. I will for sure get more plants and stuff once I get him going, I just wanted to provide him some hiding space for now. Thanks for the help with Prazi! I can't wait to post pics of him. How soon after I add the sand and clarifier do you think it will be safe to add him? I will add the sand with the tank empty and gently add water so hopefully it will settle quickly. Or should I float the cup in the heated water?

Yay for new fish! :) Congratulations!

Pictures.... :Beware:

Thanks! I can't wait to post pictures. He's such a beauty!! Half moon :)

Just wait until the water looks clear. Doesn't typically take too long in my experience. In the mean time you could certainly float him in the tank in his cup :)

Just wait until the water looks clear. Doesn't typically take too long in my experience. In the mean time you could certainly float him in the tank in his cup :)

Alrighty. I'm like so afraid he's gonna freeze but I guess a few more hours wont hurt. The bet food they had was Aqueon pellets so I got that for now. How many should he get per day? And I don't soak them right? Sheesh I'm so used to goldfish. I have some bloodworms I can feed him later on too :)

Congrats!! Pics! :photo:

:rofl

Thanks!! I will take one of the cup soon and post it!

I have never used the aqueon pellets so I don't know how big they are :idont When I was feeding omega one I usually fed 2-3 pellets 2x/day. Now I am using new life spectrum which are much smaller so I do about 4 pellets 2x/day. I don't think there is any need to soak.

Ok, I will get better pellets, preferably NLS! I'll start with only a couple pellets, if he'll eat at all yet. I got the sand going so I hope it settles soon :yikes And I got a pic uploading right now!!

Ohhhh! He's very pretty, interesting coloring!!! :Congrats:

BTW: Are you still getting puffers?

Ohhhh! He's very pretty, interesting coloring!!! :Congrats:

BTW: Are you still getting puffers?

Thanks! His body is more of a royal blue, do he's very colorful :) and no, I decided I realllllly wanted a betta(s) instead

Thank you! I'm kind of nervous because I haven't had a betta since I learned how to properly care for them, but I think he will be fine once I Prazi him up. He's soooooo prettyyyyyy :heart

Ooo, he's pretty!! Unless your space is cold, he's probably the same temperature that he has been for months. He's been living in a cup at an air conditioned Petsmart.

Thank you! I put him in a warm room, so I think he'll be ok until the sand settles. He's in the dark so be doesn't stress out :)

A lot of them do use them, since it's better for them to rest near the surface where they can readily access surface air. Plus, it keeps them off the gravel, where they can pick up all sorts of skin/fin irritating bacteria. Just remember to clean it regularly like every fake decoration :) I've never invested in one, but I bought a fake leaf which mine all use to rest on