Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

What are some bad things about the python?

I have had no problems with my aqueon, other than I lost the little rubber circle and it squirts water out the back, but I will deal with it since I lost it.

I'm still old school with buckets as well :yikes Good thing for nurse muscles :rofl The reason: We redid our counter top and sink and its fancy. I don't believe even the adapter will fit b/c the faucet is such a weird shape. What was I thinking :tantrum

My kitchen sink looks like this :\

Coralais+Single-Control+Pullout+Spray+Ki

And my bathroom kinda like this:

'american-standard-bath-sink-faucets-3801

I'm not really sure if they sell adapters to fit these sinks so I can connect a python, but lemme just tell you that my life is a nightmare trying to change water from a 29 gallon using 2 gallon buckets and refilling with milk gallons. :cry1

If I had a Python my life would be made.

I change my 50 gallon with 5 gallon buckets. You python people are missing a great workout! :rofl

been therer done that w a 80 gallon tank :yikes

My kitchen sink looks like this :\

Coralais+Single-Control+Pullout+Spray+Ki

And my bathroom kinda like this:

'american-standard-bath-sink-faucets-3801

I'm not really sure if they sell adapters to fit these sinks so I can connect a python, but lemme just tell you that my life is a nightmare trying to change water from a 29 gallon using 2 gallon buckets and refilling with milk gallons. :cry1

If I had a Python my life would be made.

nope :hug

I change my 50 gallon with 5 gallon buckets. You python people are missing a great workout! :rofl

80 gallon?!! That shows some dedication :rofl

BTW, I love the Avatar of you and Justine. Very sweet picture!

I can't think of one bad thing.

I do think that it is much better to pump (most of) the water out with the pond pump, as Shawn had discussed. I've had that system going a few years, and I prefer it. It's faster and it wastes a lot less water. Now, if only I can use the waste water for plants, that would be best. :)

When I do water changes I run the python outside and water all my potted plants with it.

I do my water changes with buckets. However, I have a system! I drain the aquarium and carry the buckets to the bathroom (I live in a one room apartment so it's not that far) empty them, and then... My boyfriend fills the tank up again. (the reason I get away with this is because I'm kind of short and it's easier for him to fill it up again).

Jokes aside, we should probably try to get a python or equivalent, but I'm worried about the faucets so it will have to wait until I have done a lot more research. But by all means it seems to be more helpful than anything else. Maybe you don't hear bad things as often because they're outweighed by the good things?

I do think that it is much better to pump (most of) the water out with the pond pump, as Shawn had discussed. I've had that system going a few years, and I prefer it. It's faster and it wastes a lot less water. Now, if only I can use the waste water for plants, that would be best. :)

How would you fill the tank back up without a python, though? :idont

How would you fill the tank back up without a python, though? :idont

Sorry I wasn't clear. I do fill it up with the water changer, but I use the pond pump to pump out the water. :)

80 gallon?!! That shows some dedication :rofl

BTW, I love the Avatar of you and Justine. Very sweet picture!

yeah I had about 6 5 gallon buckets on the floor... changed the water twice a week :)

When I do water changes I run the python outside and water all my potted plants with it.

I water my drive way ,, maybe some day it will grow :rofl

Being 50ish feet away (I believe it's like 45) from the nearest sink really makes it difficult to do waterchanges and not be wasteful with water. I can't even just take a siphon and hang it out the window because the pane is much higher than the tank and then it has to go down a roof, through a gutter and into a backyard with very poor drainage. I used to use milkjugs which I would dump in the tub but using a aqueon saves time and water damage to the rug. :rofl

I love my Python but it unthreads now and then so I always check the part that comes loose. Also, if you get a really long one (I have the 50) it worked great in my bedroom but seemed to loose suction when I used it in the living room (which is closer to the kitchen sink.) Could not figure out why it would not start working when I was in the living room until I realized that the tube was still coiled from how I store mine. Once I gave it a shake and straitened the tube, it works great. Also, either way, make sure you use a rubber band and a piece of netting (I use the plastic bags for holding media) with big holes in it so you can clean the gravel but not suck your fish in to it. There have been some bad accidents and it only takes a second so be prepared. Solid Goldfish did a nice video on how she does water changes and she uses on so it is a good example. Plus it is really cute to see what her lovely fish do during water changes!

Problem: The hose tends to kink after rolling it up.

Solution: cut the hose in the middle and put in a double ended brass barb coupling.

Then when you roll it up- just seperate the 2 halves so the hose doesn't kink so easy.

The only thing to be aware of is that if you tend to kink the hose when filling to cut water output as you run to another tank or back to the sink- the accumulated pressure will blow the hose off at the barb. Ask me how I know!

Edited by Plecco

I just brought my python back up to Uni with me today, and can I just say I am so happy :rofl

Problem: The hose tends to kink after rolling it up.

Solution: cut the hose in the middle and put in a double ended brass barb coupling.

Then when you roll it up- just seperate the 2 halves so the hose doesn't kink so easy.

The only thing to be aware of is that if you tend to kink the hose when filling to cut water output as you run to another tank or back to the sink- the accumulated pressure will blow the hose off at the barb. Ask me how I know!

never had this problem in the 5 years I had it :)

Mine is probably longer than yours;)

:wa

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It will kink if you don't turn the hose along its axis when coiling to remove any torsion.

I've never had any problems with kinks either.

Neither have I, unless I was using super hot water to sterilize. The hose seems too stiff to kink.

My 50 ft will kink but only if you don't unroll it properly. It's happened maybe twice in the two years I've had it.

I love my python. It is three years old and starting to turn a little milky looking but I guess that happens when you change 500 gallons of water a week :o. I have the 75 foot version since my Oscar tank is in the other room from the sink and on the furthest wall. It doesn't kink but I just toss the whole thing into a rubbermaid bun and call it a day. We also have horrible water pressure but it would be so wasteful to use the water to drain my 180. So I use the python and a siphon connected to a hose to drain it out the door. Luckily, all the tanks are in my basement.