Someone stop me

anogoodrabblerouser

I was at a store today and looked at the bettas...there was one poor guy there missing his whole tail. I left him there but now he's in my head and I'm seriously considering going back for him. I have an empty 5g at home. He didn't seem to be showing signs of distress...not that I know what betta distress looks like. I can't get him out of my head!

What would you do?

I would leave him, honestly. It's expensive to heal a fish, and there would be no guarantee of him healing. You would also be bringing the risk of disease into your home, which endangers your current fish, despite efforts to stop cross-contamination.

I know it's addictive, and hard to see fish left untreated, but it's not generally the best thing to do..

I would leave him, honestly. It's expensive to heal a fish, and there would be no guarantee of him healing. You would also be bringing the risk of disease into your home, which endangers your current fish, despite efforts to stop cross-contamination.

I know it's addictive, and hard to see fish left untreated, but it's not generally the best thing to do..

I agree. You must do what is best for your current crew :hug

I would not support a store that treated their animals like that. My local store sells bettas in 1L vases, and there's a guy at my university who does the same - no heaters or filters, just a fish in a bowl. I don't want to give them any more money and let them think that they're doing the right thing. I want them to go bankrupt and realise that what they are doing is wrong/not supported. When I can, I purchase things online to avoid supporting them. It's stupid that the fish have to suffer but if you buy that fish, they will only replace him with another who will be just as poorly looked after.

I agree. You must do what is best for your current crew :hug

I also agree. Even though you may think he will get better in your care and heal perfectly, he could not recover from this.

It's hard, but honestly you'll do better for them all by not purchasing them and supporting the trade of bettas in that store :( It is stressful and expensive treating ill fish, and likelyhood is that this fish has a myriad of underlying issues, sometimes permanent, that will be very difficult to treat.

There is unfortunately always a fish that needs saving :( I agree with others, it's best not to support places that allow fish to live in poor conditions, buying fish from these places because we feel bad ultimately just reinforces bad business practices. I know it's difficult, but if it were me I wouldn't do it :(