* Nitrite Level(Tap): 0

* Nitrate level(Tap): Not sure

* Ph Level, Tank: 7.6

* KH Level, Tank: 3

* GH Level, Tank: 11

* Ph Level, Tap: 7.6

* GH Level, Tap: 3

* KH Level, Tap: 3

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Test Kit; drops

* Water temperature? My thermometer is coming in the mail - I had a stick on one, went to move it and it died. It's usually anywhere between 16 and 21 from memory (celcius).

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? aprox. 42 gallons, 1 month

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Not sure of the brand. It's a canister filter and runs 1800LPH or ~475GPH

* How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 25%.

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days ago, 50% (nitrates were a bit high and we were moving the tank about a metre to the left so had to make it lighter)

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3, 7cm, 8cm, 10cm

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use Seachem Prime and Aquavitro GH Mineralize

* What do you feed your fish and how often? ttanked brand of sinking pellets, 2 times a day. I've recently started putting algae sinkers in at the same time because I think they need more vegetation. It all gets soaked about 30 minutes before I put it in. I also try to give them peas at least once a week.

* Any new fish added to the tank? No.

* Any medications added to the tank? Yes.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

15/07 added a tsp of salt to help protect them while the tank completed its cycle, on the advisement of a member on here

25/07 tetra parasite guard treatment

30/07 tetra parasite guard treatment (did a 25% water change beforehand as it says to on the package)

02/08 - 10/08, API Melafix treatment once a day (ran the filter with activated carbon in it for 24 hours beforehand to get rid of any chemicals from the parasite treatment)

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

Lenny (gold comet) was the first to have the stringy white poop. I thought it was maybe the stress or constipation or something. He's the smallest of the bunch. But after it having been around for a while, I noticed the others would do it too sometimes (nowhere near as much as Lenny). So wahtever it was, it had the ability to spread, I think. I did the parasite guard treatment and didn't see any change. After I'd been treating with Melafix for a while, I noticed that I hadn't seen the white poop from the other two at all. It's back to being just Lenny again.

The poop is thin, white, short to long, doesn't appear to have air bubbles or anything in it and he's capable of pooping normally (thick, brown, short).

I've uploaded a video below as taking photos when they're waiting for their food is nearly impossible :P. I did put one photo up that isn't too bad, hopefully it is clear enough!

IMGP2327_zps0a1bb9df.jpg

This is the video:

please excuse the photobombing by the others. They're just hassling me for their breakfast.

Let me know if you need any more info on this mystery poop :). I just want to also say that asides from this, they seem pretty happy and healthy :).

Edited by musicalmouse

Is his poop ever the color of his food? Like if you feed a pea... will it be green? :idont Or is it brown when you feed the pellets?

Hopefully a Mod will be able to assist you with your fish poop.

I did see that you only do a 25% weekly WC. It is recommended to do at least a 50% WC weekly. This should help keep your nitrates down and just all over better for your fish. A lot of members do even a bigger weekly wc or/and even closer together. Like for instance, I do a 80% plus WC every 5 days.

I'm about to leave and on mobile, but in regards to medicating with the parasite guard, you'll want to do around 4 treatments minimum rather than just the two due to parasites life cycles. Oviparous parasites are not susceptible to the medication as eggs, so you need to do several rounds to ensure they're susceptibility to the medication by letting them go through the lif ycle stages.

Increased water changes would be great, and I can give you easy steps to make your own python system for no more than $30 which will be a lot easier to do larger water changes with. In regards to your levels, KH is still a little low and you'll want it around 6dKH.

Are you still dosing with the melafix?

I was going to do one last dose of Melafix today at 4pm, but won't if advised not to.

I'll buy enough tetra parasite guard today to do 4x treatments and try that again (even if it's not parasites they've never been treated properly before so better safe than sorry, right?).

I'll also do a 50% (80L) water change today instead of the 25% I was going to do. 10-12 buckets in and out isn't that big of a deal and is good exercise :).

I've got a lot of plants sticking out of the top to help with nitrates: lucky bamboo, pothos, philodendron, papyrus and arrowhead. They're not big enough to have much of an impact yet though. I didn't realise that you were supposed to do such big water changes each week. Luckily I've been doing them around every 4 days recently for various reasons :). And I check the params 2-3 times a week.

Your fish poop seems fine to me, imo this is due to underfeeding and perhaps medication stress too. Just don't do any more Melafix (I don't see the need for it) and do more w/cs (~80% per week) I'm sure it will improve. I'm using the TTanked 1.5mm too, I usually do 4kg per order to bring down my cost to A$11.5/kg. This food is really good and I'm feeding my youngsters 6-8x pd directly without soaking.(small amounts that they can finish within 2 mins).

Cheers

I don't see a need to medicate at all.

White poop can mean everything and nothing at once. If they are acting and eating fine, then we do nothing.

I agree about upping the WCs and the other suggestions up above.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll try and do four feedings a day. Might be a bit irregular due to study commitments though.

I'll also do more regular water changes :).

Thanks a lot. I'm a newb at all this still so anything irregular and I panic ;p.