I'm paranoid, fish questions, prazi help.

4prettyfish

Prazi should be one teaspoon per 20 gallons, I think.

And you are correct. :) Thank you Alex for helping me soooo late/early.

Alex: I was going to put in 15 teaspoons of salt because I'm not filling the tank all the way up. I go a few inches below the bottom of the black rim. I have no lid on tank, only a "do hicky" of a lid on side ways for my dog to NOT put his head in. Or the cat. Cat won't though.

Edited by 4prettyfish

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have an extra filter, maybe you could make a DIY air filter. But instead of the sponge and new media, fill it with the media from a cycled tank. :). There are videos all over YouTube how to make them :)

Mikey, I don't have an extra filter and not interested in one at this time. But thank you so much for the info. you gave me. I'd more then likely be lazy and go out and buy one if I really need one. ha ha AND....A big thank you for the earlier hug from your first post. (I didn't reply back.) I was just trying to get myself to go test the water.

Alex: You had said that Big Blue looks fine. So his face, mouth, wen all looks good then! I'm just paranoid I guess. This fish wen is different then my others. I actually love this one though. When he did that yawn in the video his mouth looked like it would be hard for him to eat. I've watched him eat (not close up) and he takes the food very gently. My other fish are pigs and can't get it fast enough. This fish is so different then my others. He just seems real gentle. And the funny thing is that the first employee told me this fish killed two other fish. (not. at least not from two other employee's)

One of his tails is ripped in the middle (slit up) and I'm assuming this will heal. Perhaps with the salt. ??

Okay, I will keep track of treatment, and param. I need to go and get ready for sleepy time.

Thank you so much.

8-10-13 Saturday 1:30am (yikes on time)

ammonia 1.0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 Huge 90% wc done twice back to back. I added 15 teaspoons of salt because I'm not filling the tank to the brim. 1 teaspoon of prazi added and double dose of prim

8-10 Saturday 1:30pm

ammonia .50 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 I just double dosed w/prime Big Blue maybe a bit more active. He did eat a few pellets in am then some blood worms in pm (I will feed lightly as suggested Alex but he's such a big fish.)

He seems to be a tiny bit more active. You are going to get tired of me saying this but I think he is soooo cute. ha ha I just love looking at him.

He's swimming a little bit more. I've caught him a couple of times going to the surface and looking around. He looks so cute. He's not looking stressed at all or gulping or anything alarming to me. He just glides on up and looks around then goes back down.

Where I placed the tank, it makes it kind of hard to enjoy him because the tank is on the floor. :( I can't see him as good as when I had him on my marble table in the 10g. But I can see him moving around more then the other day.

Tomorrow I'm hoping he will be even better especially after his wc.

I'm still wondering the sex of the fish. I didn't see any breeding stars when I brought the fish home or before I put him on the floor in the 20g tank. I really need to get a stand. I don't want to pay a ton of money for a qt tank. This is only my 2nd time using it.

Thank you again Alex for helping me out at such a terrible time. I'm about to go to sleep now......real soon.

Glad to see blue is doing well :) His face reminds me so much of Puff's face :heart that face shape is my absolute favorite with the big chubby cheeks..... neither of my current orandas have that ;)

Your fish looks really nice.

Hope it all works out for Blue.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your words.

Glad to see blue is doing well :) His face reminds me so much of Puff's face :heart that face shape is my absolute favorite with the big chubby cheeks..... neither of my current orandas have that ;)

Thank you so much. I remember Puff and absolutely loved watching him in your video's. I'm so paranoid I sometime think there is something wrong with my new Oranda's mouth and perhaps the side of his face. Like I said, I'm paranoid.

8-11 Day 3 of qt. Sunday 9:30am

ammonia .50 nitrate 0

100% WC, filled the water up a little bit fuller on tank so this time I added 17 teaspoons of salt, 1 teaspoon prazi, Double Prime.

I don't think the fish is all that interested or hungry for food. He never rushes for it or eats real fast. When I did the wc this morning I even found several pellets in the tank from the night before I guess. :( That really surprised me. I am going to now watch him eat and if he doesn't I'll take it out. I fed him this morning pellets and it took him a few minutes to eat 5 or 6 pellets. He's slow and carefree. I think he's bored in that boring tank on floor w/no light for him. He only gets a little natural light and some light from the 34g tank when it's on. Could this be why he's not swimming all over the tank? He seems to be swimming more then the other day though. He's a glider a few inches from the bottom of the tank. I watched him when I came home tonight and he seems to be okay. Just slow. He's definitely different then my other fish. Don't know what to make out of this??

I think it's a combination of several things at least. He's in a new place (new water), he's eating different foods, he doesn't have anyone around, he's probably not feel too great from the parasite treatment, and there is no light.

But it's important to finish QT properly before he can be with his friends. The slow eating is probably he is getting used to new food, and he may have some irritations in the gills from flukes. As long as he is eating, and active, then we are good.

Feel free to upload a video anytime! :rofl

Thanks Alex for the reply. It makes me feel a bit better. I'll try to remember all the reasons you posted for why he could be acting the way that he is. I just remember when I got Harriet the big Tri-Colored Oranda five months ago that turned all orange a month ago,...She was qt in the 34g with prazi and salt and she seemed fine. She was active and eating. I guess it could have been possibly that she was healthy and big blue might.......................... . Harriet did have the pearlscale in with her during qt time. I did prazi on both of them. (pearl was getting tired from all the chasing from much bigger fish. So I decided it might be safer w/prazi then with the bullies.)

I would never stop qt/prazi. Tomorrow I believe is last day w/prazi then big blue gets a break from it for those next four days. I'm cking your schedule to keep on track. Thanks.

I think I will post another video tomorrow sometime then. I'm going to feed all of them bloodworms so BB (not beneficial bacteria ha ha ha) will like that.

Going to sleep now. My daughter starts back to high school. :( I love the Summer months with her.

Thanks Alex. :)

Big Blue was swimming around much better this morning after I put the 34g lights on top of his tank. I video taped him. I'm talking a lot in the video. :( The salt in the back of the tank wasn't near as bad as it looks in the video. I ended up doing a 100% wc because the ammonia was 1.0 and I found a lot of poop not just the three or four I had said in the video. I was also talking a lot about the prazi schedule ha ha no worry I'm making sure I'm on schedule with what needs to be done.

After the video and wc I fed him bloodworms. It took him 15 minutes to eat it. He would eat a little then go swim somewhere then would eventually see more bloodworms and eat a couple while leaving a few. My other fish would have been like vacuums. One minute I worry about the fish,then the next minute the fish seems fine and swims around. I am not overfeeding him either. But I think he is going to be fine.

Here is the video.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/M4H02214_zps442a24c0.mp4.html

Here is an extremely short video during the wc. The water is near 90% out. Is that clear substance on top of the water the prazi or is that slime? I don't need to be worried about that right?

After the wc was completed he seemed very happy. :)

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/M4H02219_zps91280675.mp4.html

Edited by 4prettyfish

Awwwww what a gorgeous fish. He makes me miss my orandas! :rofl

By now, I am no worries about you knowing when you should do WCs to keep the water from becoming toxic. As long as you do 4 days of Prazi, and a few days without for each round and you are good to go!

I'm glad he is doing better! :)

Thank you Alex for the nice words on him. :) I'd miss your Oranda's also if they were mine. They were gorgeous.

Do you mean I graduated from your care? :) Thank you! You are a great Teacher. I will do as you say, :P and use prazi for 4 days and off for a few. WC every other day unless the ammonia is 1.0 or higher. (Today was not suppose to be a wc but the ammonia was high so that's why I did one.) I can't wait for qt to be over with, so I can enjoy this fish in a bigger tank. I'm still thinking of a permanent name.

You didn't answer my question in the second video. :( Was that clear stuff floating on the surface of the tank slime or the prazi? It felt kind of like grease, oil. I didn't like it.

Hope you don't mind but I'm going to post an update at least once a week, maybe twice. Just want to make sure all is good.

Thanks a million again.

:)

I think that it might have been shed slime, but I am not sure.

As for the thread, please update as often as you like. I definitely did write what I did to shut this down, but rather just to express confidence that you know very well how to maintain good water quality in an uncycled condition, so I don't have worry as much and not check to make sure you do your readings daily, etc. :rofl

Thanks Alex. I do feel confident now. I especially feel better knowing that you've seen a couple/few photo's/video's of the fish. I was really worried that something might be wrong with the fish's head/cheeks/mouth. ha ha ha I guess it's just that big old wen growth. In all kidding a side, He does seem to eat real slow though. I'm going to keep a closer eye on him while I'm feeding him.

I'm all good now, though,....with the water and all. Your directions are awesome. :)

Go help others now. :)

Thank you :)

No worries. Just wanted to post an update.

The fish has really perked up and really started to eat more normal like my other fish a couple/few days ago. Perhaps around the 15th is when I noticed the change. It's funny though because this morning I turned off the filter to feed her worms and the worms just sat there in the bottom of the tank. I thought, oh no. come on! I decided to turn back on the filter and all of a sudden the fish perked up and started to swim all over where the worms were and ate them up.

I see no signs of illness by looking at her. She comes up to the glass and to the surface of the water to greet me now. She finally recognizes me and the yellow measuring cup that I put some of her water in to soak her pellets for several seconds.

I've been calling the fish a her because she is bigger then my males and she's only about 6 months older or so then them I'm kind of guessing. I've seen no breeding stars. And I finally came up with a name that I like and it's a girl name. :) To be announced on a new thread. ha ha ha:)

TODAY: DAY 9 OF Treatment

Ammonia .50 I've been doing daily 100% wc regardless what reading says. I just think the fish acts better. I've been replacing whatever I've been taking out.

I've already done 4 days of prazi and 4 days of no prazi. I'm on second round of four days with prazi again. (of course salt always)

Do you think I can put the fish in the 55g tank after 16 days or is this too soon? This would give her 2 four day rounds of prazi and 2 four days rounds on no prazi. I'm so anxious to have her be in with the others and have more room.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Awww :( I had a feeling you might say this Alex. I know it's better even though I was kind of hoping otherwise. Thank you for wising me up. I will be good and continue with her treatments in the 20g.

What do you think of my "guessing/thinking" she is a female? ha ha ha

Maybe I'll try to hold her tomorrow when I do wc and see if I can tell the sex.

Alex: You had said that Big Blue looks fine. So his face, mouth, wen all looks good then! I'm just paranoid I guess. This fish wen is different then my others. I actually love this one though. When he did that yawn in the video his mouth looked like it would be hard for him to eat. I've watched him eat (not close up) and he takes the food very gently. My other fish are pigs and can't get it fast enough. This fish is so different then my others. He just seems real gentle. And the funny thing is that the first employee told me this fish killed two other fish. (not. at least not from two other employee's)

One of his tails is ripped in the middle (slit up) and I'm assuming this will heal. Perhaps with the salt. ??

Okay, I will keep track of treatment, and param. I need to go and get ready for sleepy time.

Thank you so much.

He is gorgeous, Cheryl! That color is fantastic. His cheeks are fine. In fact, they are excellent :D You got yourself a great fish :goodjob