They Just Aren't Right

Guest meenieme

Guest meenieme

My goldies in my 29 gallon tank arent doing well. The pH is 7.6, temp 75, ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate less than 20. I do a 40% water change twice a week. I've lost one so far, clamped fins, not eating, staying at the top of the tank. No visible signs of injury, no film or spots. Now the other 2 goldies are starting to act the same way. I've treated with metro, upped the temp to 80, started adding salt and medicated food but that didn't help. I've started trying Clout since the metro didn't seem to work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Guest Cuckoo for Calicos

I'm not an expert but I think 75-80 temp may be too high. Clamped fins is sometimes an indicator of constipation...what do you feed them?

Water changes are good and so is salt...3 tsp per gallon or 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons is 3%. That has helped mine a lot. Add it slowly though.

The pros will be along shortly. Good luck!

Guest meenieme

I've been feeding a variety of foods, including peas at least once a week, flake food, frozed plankton and carrots. I've got some pepso food for internal parasites but they definitely haven't been interested in it.

Meenieme, the symptoms you discribed sounds like something parasitic is bothering your fish, and some parasites are not cured with salt. Among them is flukes for example. Is there a chance that you can get your hands on a broadband parasite treatment like Parasite Clear or LiveBearer. I know Clout is one of those treatments as well, but if it isn't working, try switching to one of the others.

Unfortunately, most of the parasites that can affect a fish are not visible with the naked eye and require a microscope for accurate diagnostic. There are signs that are easily overlooked though.

Are you able to take your fish into your hand, open his gills with the thumb nail of the other hand, and tell us what condition they are in - are they pink, dark red, light red, pale? Do they seem intact, or do they look like smushed?

When you say, the fish are hanging on top of the tank, do you mean like trying to gasp for air? :)

Guest meenieme

No gasping, just floating. The salt and the clout seem to be helping today. They were moving around some and ate a little bit this morning. I just put in the second dose of salt so they should be up to .2% this morning, I'll put in the 3rd dose this evening. The second dose of clout will go in this afternoon. Wish I'd tried that first and maybe I'd have saved my lionhead. I'll keep you all up to date on outcome.

Archived