* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0.03
* Nitrate level(Tank) 8.7
* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.06
* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0.0
* Nitrate level(Tap) 1.0
* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.3
* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.7
Other Required Info:
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Hanna Instruments 83203 Multiparameter Photometer
* Water temperature? 74°F
* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 56 gallons; 9 months
* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 each AquaClear Model 70; 1 each AquaClear Model 50 with Quick Filter feeding an Aqua UV 8W Advantage 2000 HOB UV Sterilizer
* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 20%; Daily 4%
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 4 days for Weekly (20%); this morning for half of daily (2%)
* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 Comet; 12 inches
* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice Daily: 1/8 tsp. Saki Hikari or Hikari Lionhead, 4 peas; Weekly: 1 tsp. Hikari blood worms
* Any new fish added to the tank? no
* Any medications added to the tank? no
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Dosed with Prazi and salt 6 times (two regimens) two years ago (new fish).
* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? frayed dorsal fin - this is normal for him - he's a jumper and runs into the tank cover
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Has eaten almost nothing in the last two weeks. During this time he has had only one poo - a long, thin, stringy "stress" poo.

Mr. Cuddlesworth is normally a voracious eater - two feedings/day. Each feeding is followed by immediate waste removal. Tank is bare bottom. For the last two weeks, he has ignored almost all food. He will occasionally take a part of a pea into his mouth, chew, then spit it out. Same thing for bloodworms. He completely ignores the Hikari pellets.

I had not been too concerned 'til today because he was acting normally in all other respects: fins not clamped; does his "happy dance" when I approach the tank; no flashing; no bottom sitting. This morning I found him on the bottom, in the corner, and clamped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this fish.

Matt

I'm sorry your fish is ill. A video or picture might help the Mods with a treatment plan. Can you confirm that the last Prazi treatment was 2 years ago?

Thanks, motherredcap. His first Prazi treatment was September 2011, right after I got him. His last Prazi treatment was October of 2011. In both cases, he had been flashing, spitting, hiding, and bottom-sitting. I will take a picture and post tonight.

I'm sorry your fish is not feeling well. A mod should be here soon. Thank you for filling out the form ahead of time.

Well, he's acting a little better now. Still, nothing like his normal, rambunctious self. In the video, he has just woken up when I got home.

Edited by Norwood Matt

I'm assuming the redness on his "lips" :teehee is always present since you didn't mention it above? :idont

Yes, the redness is always present. I want to think it's a separate issue, but maybe I'm missing something. He has, since I got him two years ago, had a problem with violent head shaking combined with darting. This usually results in damage to his "lips." Any insight is welcome. This behavior seems to be in response to being startled.

Can you get a close up pic of that area? (You may need to hold him or put him in a smaller container if possible)

I would recommend a round or 2 of prazi and salt.

Try soaking some food (I would try something soft like bloodworms) in garlic to see if that entices him any.

Your fish is very pretty and I hope he gets well fast :)

fantailfan1, well I tried soaking a teaspoon of bloodworms in two drops of Kent Garlic Extreme. He seemed excited at first, then no interest. I tried to get more detail of his lips:

http://youtu.be/kTFMX5IEc5I

I am very reluctant to try Prazi again since I've been running the UV sterilizer for over a year now and the Prazi treatments make him act all beat down. I'm at the point of wanting to do a swab and a microscope view to look for flukes before subjecting him to another round of Prazi.

Your fish is very pretty and I hope he gets well fast :)

You and all the posters on this forum are very, very kind. I have lurked here since late 2011 and learned a lot as a result. Thank all of you for your encouragement and knowledge.

Matt

Thanks for the video. Is there any redness inside of his mouth?

Often times if they react poorly the prazi in the first day or two, it's because the fluke load is so high it takes a toll on them as it starts to kill the flukes. Is that when you see him acting all beat down or say 3-5 days into the prazi treatment?

Let me have other members of the mod team take a look at this and get their opinions, ok? Hang in there.

Also . . . he is a gorgeous fish!! :D

Thanks for the video. Is there any redness inside of his mouth?

Often times if they react poorly the prazi in the first day or two, it's because the fluke load is so high it takes a toll on them as it starts to kill the flukes. Is that when you see him acting all beat down or say 3-5 days into the prazi treatment?

Let me have other members of the mod team take a look at this and get their opinions, ok? Hang in there.

Also . . . he is a gorgeous fish!! :D

You are very kind, indeed. I wish I had video of him recently when he was happy and healthy. He extends all his fins to their maximum and cruises majestically about his domain. He's like a clipper ship spreading its sails.

No, no redness inside the mouth. For whatever reason, he is really shy about letting me look in there, but no, it is pale inside. He did shed a tooth a couple weeks ago. I didn't think anything of it since I normally find a tooth about once every couple of months at the bottom of his tank.

REALLY good point about when he acts all beat down! Every time he's been dosed with Prazi, he has acted beat down only within the first 24 hours.

Thanks for the encouragement. Mr. Cuddlesworth is a real fighter.

Do you have access to a microscope that you could do a scraping and take a look?

Yes, I have access to a microscope.

The real trick is getting the scraping. Mr. Cuddlesworth is still pretty much a wild varmint who only let's me think he's a pet so that I will wait on him hand and foot. What I'm trying to say is that I fear he will pull one of his startle/head-thrashing maneuvers, resulting in more injury to his mouth if I try to do a scraping. He really, really does not like to be handled. He's in his third tank, now - in his first year he grew almost an inch a month. Each of the moves was really traumatic - lots of scale loss and fin damage. What would you think of mildly anesthetizing him prior to doing the scraping?

I hope your goldie gets well soon!!

:hmm Let's wait for some other mod members to chime in. They may not think the scrape is necessary and if they do they may have suggestions on how to do it, including if mild anesthesia is an option. :D

It may be a couple of hours as I know one is traveling, some live in Australia and I'm not sure what the others are up to as I can't keep tabs on them all. :rofl3

Hang tight. We'll figure something out. :)

fantailfan1,

Many, many thanks for your kind attention. I am headed to bed and will check the forum again first thing in the morning.

G'night all.

Matt

Sure thing! I didn't want you to think we forgot about you if no one responded to your questions. :D

Hello! Your fish is beautiful, and I have to say from reading the answers you provided that I am super jealous. :rofl

I want that multiparameter reader! :rofl

Anyway, I think that in this case, because you have access to a scope, let's try to do a scrape and see what you can find on the slides. Also, I know that he's not going to cooperate, but I think we need to do a once over, check belly, gills mouth, etc. Have you seen him poop at all?

Two weeks is an awfully long time without food, and I'm wondering if he still ate some. It does sound like he is harboring some sort of infection that includes irritating his mouth/gills, and certainly flukes is a possibility. So, I think that scrape is really important so that we don't have to guess.

What a beautiful fish you have. I hope you are able to figure out exactly what's going on with him soon. Poor guy. :(

dnalex,

I have seen only one poop in the last two weeks. It was a long, thin, stringy "stress" poop. However, the only reason I got to see that poop is because it had wound itself around a ground probe. Otherwise it would have been in a filter. It is possible he's had a couple sneak poops that went to the filters. However, he is not pooping anything like what he used to.

I know what you mean about the multiparameter reader. Ouch! But, it was all that I could figure to do since I am terribly colorblind and so can't use drops or strips.

What do you think about anesthetizing the little guy before doing the scrapes?

Matt

dnalex,

I forgot to mention that I have let a thick coat of algae grow on the tubing that feeds the UV sterilier in hopes that he might graze on it. I have never seen him graze on it, but it is possible he is eating that. More often, he will put his snout on the underside of the tubing and just nuzzle it. He does this when he's scared. I think of it as his security blanket (it's very soft).

Matt

Hi Matt,

I was thinking about the anesthesia also. It need not put him completely under, but it should just calm him down enough for the scrape, and for a quick overall examination. What do you use, clove oil, or tricaine?

dnalex,

I've never anesthetized him before, so I don't know. I was thinking the same thing about not putting him under, just enough to keep him from harming himself.

Do either clove oil or tricaine require a prescription? What do you recommend?

Matt