Brown Algae good or bad?

blubblubblub

So you can measure TDS? Still not 100% sure what that is..man I don't even know what I don't know, theres so much stuff to learn. Another thing is I'm not getting any clear algae anymore (the type that would start showing on the glass) so is there a reason for that? Does that clear stuff turn brown then green? Or whatever?

You don't need to measure TDS but it is one more thing that effects what goes on inside your tank. TDS is pretty much the count of minerals and such that make up your tap water. Calcium and magnesium are big ones but there are many more like iron, sulfur and other minerals and metals. Generally speaking the higher your TDS, the harder your water is. Most likely if you live in an area where you need a water softener then you probably have mid to high TDS. I grew up in Seattle where the TDS was super low and the water was awesome! I forget how nice it is to shower in it until I go back to visit. I've been in the mid-west now for about 10years where TDS is super high and you definitely know it if you don't have a water softener.

Some TDS is good for fish/aquariums in general as they need minerals too. Some of us who use softened water replace lost minerals with our water changes with products like Seachem Replenish and Seachem Gold Trace (minerals) as the water softener removes pretty much all the calcium and magnesium and replaces it with sodium ions.

Edited by CindiL