Avepico

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)looks a bit over 5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) out of PH test liquid, historically stays stable at 8-8.2 tank and tap
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
      • * Water temperature? 76 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?75 gallon 6 months?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon quietflow 500 and AC110
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? every 5-7 days 75%
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 5 days, 75%
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3, Annie at 7 inches, Shadow at 4 inches and a shubunkin 2.5-3 inches
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Staple diet is Omega One pellets, treats of Repashy SG, bloodworms, spirulina brine shrimp, beef heart (frozen stuff mixed into a "cocktail" for all my tanks), assorted veggies as I have them.
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? Small shubunkin added 3 days ago, it has been in my pond for about a 2 months, IIRC
      • * Any medications added to the tank? Not recently
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. All fish have been prazi'ed, I added a proactive dose of Prazi to this tank a couple months ago
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? I saw a stringy thingy coming out of Annie's mouth. She would suck it in, then blow it out. Rinse and repeat.
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She was bottom sitting when I got home from work, when swimming her rear end seems to be a bit floaty. She has always seemed to have a habit of flipping over when she hits a strong current to her upper body or gets completely nose down for food.

I got home at about 3:45 to see Annie bottom sitting, looked a bit closer and noticed the thing in her mouth. When she noticed me, she swam up and I noticed her butt floating a bit high. Here is some video of the issues.

As of now, 5pm, she is still a bit floaty and occasionally bottom sitting. I am not seeing the thing in her mouth. I also noticed a HUGE poo, big enough that it almost had to be her.

Usually I would chalk this up to needing a water change, peas, and a fasting day. Which was in my plan anyway, WC scheduled tomorrow since I forgot to get Prime after work today. I do have about 20 gallons of aged water so I can do a small WC tonight. (I never thought 20 gallons would be a small WC)The only thing that concerns me is the thing in her mouth.

Does anyone think I need to be more aggressive or does it sound like a decent plan of action for now?

Hi Avepico,

What I'd like for you to do is to do a thorough check of her mouth and gills using a flashlight. Make sure there is not redness/inflammation in the mouth, and check gills thoroughly. After that, we can decide if more aggressive action needs to be taken.

Someone did not enjoy that. No redness in the mouth, gills are the normal red color. There is a bit of redness on the inside of the gill plate right where the gill plate meets the head. Identical size and shape on both gill plates.

You said you wanted an update on my fish in another thread, I don't think this is what you meant.

Let's fast her for a day.

When was your last prazi round?

Please update tomorrow. I think we will have bit better idea then. It really helped that you did the check. :)

I gave peas tonight. I will fast after that. I have never been clear if it is better to give peas and then fast or fast and then give peas.

I try to be pretty relaxed with the fish; if I see an issue, I treat with WC first, peas if it is a floaty issue, and only get concerned if it goes past that. Then I do some research and ask if I see a reason. The mouth thing came up with a link to a possible columnaris infection (from this site), so it made me ask for some help.

Right now she is at the glass begging for food, the usual greeting when I get home. I had to go to my friend's house and help bathe his dog.

I will follow up after work tomorrow, no food, and hopefully it is just a paranoid scare.

Hope she feels better soon. She is beautiful.

Thank you, even my friends that aren't into fish love her when they see her in the flesh.

Water change today, fasted since peas yesterday. She seems fine. She pooped pure green pea poop while I did the WC, so I am assuming her system is cleaned out. I will hold off on food until at least tomorrow morning.

As I stated before, my main concern was the thing in her mouth and that has not reappeared.

I am going to do another WC tomorrow after work, my filter media must be more gunked up than I expected. The AC110 spewed out a mess of particulate matter when I turned it back on. So another WC to get the gunk out and clean the filter media.

Seems like whatever mysterious thing it was, it had mysteriously exited. I would just keep an eye on her, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to treat. For that, I am very glad! :)

Thanks as always Alex. It's wonderful how such simple things as clean water and proper feeding makes such a difference.

Hopefully I will get some video up over the weekend. I moved Monkey and Hoover out to the little greenhouse pond and moved my little shubunkin inside.

It's wonderful how such simple things as clean water and proper feeding makes such a difference.

I was taught that this is almost entirely what makes a goldfish happy. :)

I don't do water quality tests as often as some. I try to stick with a schedule of WC's and if I see behavioral issues, I just change water and see if it clears up. It almost always clears up any issues. If I see issues crop up more frequently, I re-assess my WC schedule. I find that I can do a large WC quicker than I can do all my water tests. While not optimal, does sound like a decent method of fish keeping?

It's not a bad method of fish keeping. I will tell you that I don't test my water that often anymore, but that's a perk of having had a mature cycle for many years. However, if I do have some off behavior in my tank, I will check all the parameters.

By now, I also have it figured out how much water and how often I have to change. Soon enough it will be every 3 days :rofl