My pond

Gcourtney

1bc7f4185f794c220d90ac8c8ca98ba0_zps9872377b71d7d4979eb50f6099053ea9a440_zps479e it has a two stage diy filter made from an old watering can back half is full of cycled bio balls front is Jammed full of scrub pads ( I watched alot of videos to get ideas on making the filter ) I am going to house 1 Goldie in here maybe two , it has duckweed and Cambomba floating in it , and gallonage its about 36-40 gallons :) Edited by Gustave

I really like that man. Original with a vintage kinda look. I hope you will not mind if I point out a couple things? I do imagine you already have thought of this but please be sure the watering can is very stable. If it falls off you may drain your pond. The second thing is that I would have the mechanical filtration first, then the bioballs. You want the solids filtered out of the water before it gets to the biomedia, otherwise they will get very dirty and be less hospitable for the biobugs. Oh and one more thing, watch the temperature of the tub... Metal like that gets very hot in direct sun.

I have heard of goldfish ponds like this and in flower pots, I have never seen one though and honestly this looks so good! I think you did such a great job!

Ok I will watch it plus it's in 90% shade only an hour of sunlight on half the container at 9:00 am.

Oh and on the watering can it is resting on the pot but the handles are secured To the ac and the wooden wall behind it ( I did check on if it was secured. Before I even used it , it might get moved anyways though

Ok so no pond my mum doesn't want a filter she wants to just use an old pipe with an vintage facet on the end

I do have some goldfish but they are now in my 29 gal while I figure out what I am going to do with them they were going to going the pond but with no filter I decided I wouldn't put them in it :(

Edited by Gustave

Oh no. Maybe stack the pond on cinderblocks or something sturdy, but leave a space in the middle for a canister filter and run the tube from the filter into the pipe and out the vintage facet.

She wants it to look neat and having running water but said she wants the whole pond to look like its connected so she said a spigot fountian would look better than a filter. But yet she bought alot of supplies for me to make a filter :hmm

Ponds (properly stocked) don't need filters unless your want them to look good.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? For starters, this site recommends 15 to 20 gallons per goldfish in a tank. What is proper for apond? I could not imagine not having filter in my pond. The waste has to go somewhere right?

I really like it a lot. I think it's adorable and really cute. 45g. = a nice size. I hope you and your Mom figure something out.

I do agree with the above comment though in regards to please watch out because that metal can get real hot. Ouch!

:)

I'm probably wrong lol but I read it goes by surface area , like 1/2 inch of fish per square foot of surface area

And here lies another problem.... Please don't feel like I am picking on this post because I am not. Just giving examples. Too many ways to say what is "proper". Why would a pond be measured differently than a tank? Why would I go by surface area considering a pond with identical surface area could be 1000 gallons or 5000 gallons, depending on how deep it is. Is "properly stocked" different if the pond has a pump compared to if it doesn't? My pond fish have at least 40 gallons per fish. I think that is pretty generous, but I'd hate so see what it looked like without filters! 40 fish worth of poop?! Ew!