Red fins and bellies on 2 of 3 fancies. Fins deteriorating on all 3.

germanyt

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not looking good. I turned the light on to check parameters and feed some peas. WQ is good. Ammonia is 0 and pH is mid 7s. My oranda is looking pretty bad and the fin rot on the other 2 is worse. My moor and ryukin ate but nothing from the oranda. He started swimming erratically when I turned the light on and made his way into his cave. This is him now.

20130806_202213_zpse3bac01c.jpg

I sort of expected the antibiotic to have a positive effect already. I shut off one of my HOBs to reduce the current in the tank to a more comfortable level. His tail fin looks terrible. The ends look like they are clotted and are darker red than they were last night. I'm starting to doubt whether or not he'll make it. Or any of them will make it.

I'm so sorry.

We are at a bind here. To be very honest, I would not have suggested Maracyn 2 at all, or any tetracycline because it itself is very toxic. At this point, all I can suggest is wait until morning and reassess. If by then things have not moved for the better, than the Maracyn was ineffective, and we need to think of other means.

There are couple of things - kanaplex, maracyn plus, maracyn, or Triple Sulfa, in that order.

Have you noticed if they have been clamping their fins, darting, or exhibiting any behaviors like they are trying to shake something off from them?

Recently the oranda is swimming strangely. Almost like a flopping motion. This was brief though. Hes I. The cave now and the tank has been covered by blankets all day.

Dosed 2nd day of maracyn this morning. Ammonia is 0 but I dosed prime anyway to aid in slime coating. Fins are still red and look terrible but behavior seemed more normal. I was glad to see all 3 swimming around the tank. I get home at 8 tonight so Ill test water again then and update.

My calico died. I found it just now stuck in the filter intake. Tank smells funny but that might be the prime. Other fish show no improvment. I'm starting to think the only thing to do is to put the fish down. My sister suggest a bowl of ice water. I also considered moving the 2 I have left to my 10 gallon quarantine to get a more concentrated dose of antibiotic. The tank has the loach in it but I could remove it.

BTW, nitrate was a little high so I added more prime. Tank water is semi yellow. Ammonia is zero as are nitrites. I'm starting to see what looks like ich on my oranda.

I moved them to the 10 gallon. The water quality in it is perfect. 0/0/0 and 7.4 pH. I felt like it was the only way to save them. The 55 gallon has a fuzzy looking growth on the decor. Might be a fungus or maybe from the antibiotic. I don't know. It's pretty much a given that I have to break the whole thing down and start from scratch with a fresh cycle and a disinfected tank. In the 10 gallon I feel like I can get a higher concentration of antibiotic. I just double dosed it and primed it. So now if the fish hang in there I have 10 days of treatment left instead of 4.

20130807_193413_zpse74fb2d8.jpg

20130807_193418_zpsfdf37de8.jpg

20130807_193422_zps82afff40.jpg

20130807_193431_zpsb5036245.jpg

20130807_193437_zps2e6dbe01.jpg

I'm so sorry that you lost him. Please don't give up on the others yet. Let us try to help them this one last bit, especially because you've identified the cause of all this mess - ich!

What I want you to do now is crap the Maracyn 2. We now have excellent reason to remove it. I want just clean water, and 0.3% salt. That's 3 level teaspoons per gallon, or 27 level teaspoons in your 10 gallon QT (we assume only 9 gallons of water). Hang the salt in a pantyhose end to dissolve, if you need, but let's do it ASAP. :)

Poor guy. So he is now at 0.3% salt?

With ich, keep in mind that it can (and probably will) get much worse than currently before it gets better. Hang in there!

I'm sorry you lost your calico. hug. You are getting great help I see! And I just wanted to post a picture of an albino sailfin. Pleco to show you what they really look like :). null_zpscd996195.jpg

Edited by mikey

No news is good news. I put a Tetra Ich tablet in the tank this morning. It's a blue alka seltzer looking thing. Water is a funny shade of green from the meds but fish are rootin away. They just ate some pellets and enjoyed a few hours of lighting today. Still kickin.

Well, good lol

I am not a fan of using the TPG as a first line treatment, but under appropriate circumstances, it's pretty good. :)

I hope they will mend quickly! :)

Hi Germanyt., I'm sorry to see your fish in such poor shape. There is still a chance to save these two if you can counter those ich and fin rot asap. Imo it is alot harder or almost ineffective to treat them in your main tank, you not only waste your effort but also on the cost of medicines too.

What I'll do in your case is to do take both fish out and do a salt dip of 3% concentration (refer instruction at Treatment section), then place them on QT/treatment in a 10 gal (with both fish together, use only an air stone and no feeding for a few days). Administer those medications/salt that Alex has suggested. Need to do 100% w/c daily and add a new dose of medicine/salt. Don't worry 10 gal will handle 2 fish per day.(ammonia 0.5ppm max per day)

Ps My choice of treatment to counter red fins/body or fin rot is to use PP bath but I know there are many people in this forum not comfortable with this but what's more important than saving your pets in an effective and quickest and proven way.

Hi Germanyt., I'm sorry to see your fish in such poor shape. There is still a chance to save these two if you can counter those ich and fin rot asap. Imo it is alot harder or almost ineffective to treat them in your main tank, you not only waste your effort but also on the cost of medicines too.

What I'll do in your case is to do take both fish out and do a salt dip of 3% concentration (refer instruction at Treatment section), then place them on QT/treatment in a 10 gal (with both fish together, use only an air stone and no feeding for a few days). Administer those medications/salt that Alex has suggested. Need to do 100% w/c daily and add a new dose of medicine/salt. Don't worry 10 gal will handle 2 fish per day.(ammonia 0.5ppm max per day)

Ps My choice of treatment to counter red fins/body or fin rot is to use PP bath but I know there are many people in this forum not comfortable with this but what's more important than saving your pets in an effective and quickest and proven way.

The fish have been moved to a 10 gallon. It's got 9 tbsp salt in it and I'm continuting antibiotic and now ich treatment. I haven't done any water changes but I'm checking parameters twice a day. Ammonia is 0 ( I prime if I see the slightest amount), nitrites 0, and nitrates close to 0. pH is a tad high, around 8. Temp is around 78-80.