Sign in to follow this  
ElaineSelene

Rainbow of the Deep - 55 gallon tank in process!

My new 55 gallon aquarium. :) I'm still waiting for my lemonhead ranchu to come... and then I'll probably put one more fish in it sometime after that... probably a blue oranda? Anyway.

Specifics are in the video but I'll also post them here.

2 - 3 fish so far.

vintage ceramic decorations

rocky bases on plants so foraging fish can't uproot them

2 filters: Marineland Penguin 350 and 200gph (75 gallon and 55 gallon filters)

Lamp is coming - T5 HO ultra bright

Bubbler coming - fits 60 gallon

Bubble wand coming - in rainbow!!! :)

Decorations still coming! :D

Rainbow gravel on the bottom with rainbow plastic plants

Glass thermometer is at about 73 degrees F.

Ask me anything you want or give me advice. :) I'm happy to answer/listen! :3

5_es_filtered_by_elaineselenestock-d6gpf

Hi Elaine,

The tank is gorgeous, and I love the theme. I hope you don't mind my sharing a couple of the things I've learned from my own experience. Firstly, that gravel can be quite dangerous. If it's too thick, it will create areas of low/no oxygen, and permitting growth of harmful bacteria there. It can also present a choking hazard. Right now, the fish are small, so it's not an issue, but as they get bigger, they can swallow the gravel and may not be able to spit it out.

Secondly, the plastic plants can be prime places where long fins will snag and rip.

Finally, may I ask if you were planning to convert this to a live planted tank? If not, the T5-HO lights may be too bright and not particularly necessary.

Hi Elaine,

The tank is gorgeous, and I love the theme. I hope you don't mind my sharing a couple of the things I've learned from my own experience. Firstly, that gravel can be quite dangerous. If it's too thick, it will create areas of low/no oxygen, and permitting growth of harmful bacteria there. It can also present a choking hazard. Right now, the fish are small, so it's not an issue, but as they get bigger, they can swallow the gravel and may not be able to spit it out.

Secondly, the plastic plants can be prime places where long fins will snag and rip.

Finally, may I ask if you were planning to convert this to a live planted tank? If not, the T5-HO lights may be too bright and not particularly necessary.

I heard gravel isn't the best. :( I really don't want a bare bottom and sand is a pain in my opinion. So I don't know what I'll do.

I'm doubt I'll ever convert to a live planted tank - I hate the color green with fish. lmao.

I know the T5-HO is really bright. I actually got it in particular for photography purposes! I find there is never enough light for a good picture in a LED / normal fluorescent lit tank. :( What do you mean too bright? will it do them any harm?

Thanks for the tips!!! :) I'll work on fixing these things. I guess I'll either find larger rocks or get sand. I just HATE bare bottoms.... Not sure what to do about the plastic plants. :P

You can try to switch over to silk plants. There are tons of really colorful silk ones. :)

The bright light isn't going to harm them. It may cause the tank to have lots of algal growth, or even green water, but that's something that you can control by limiting the amount of light time per day.

I agree with you about having substrate. :)

You can try to switch over to silk plants. There are tons of really colorful silk ones. :)

The bright light isn't going to harm them. It may cause the tank to have lots of algal growth, or even green water, but that's something that you can control by limiting the amount of light time per day.

I agree with you about having substrate. :)

The reason I got these plants in particular (instead of silk) is I read that goldfish will uproot plants that don't have heavy bottoms. So I found these colorful ones with rock bases that matched the gravel I got and I thought it would be perfect. :( SIGH.

Well, I can get algae control substances as well right?

Right now I owe my mother 1400 because she bailed me out of credit card debt :P So that is my whole paychecks for at least 5 months. (I'm leaching off my boyfriend for now - we live together). so I doubt I'll be changing anything yet! T_T I'm scared and worried now!

How likely is it that they will swallow gravel and get it stuck? I'm really really worried now! they don't ever touch the gravel as it is. Do you think it is likely? eeekkk!

My boyfriends gonna freak out when he hears I need to change my whole tank decorations. -_-;

Well, to put your mind at ease, you do have a little bit of time. At this point, it's doubtful that they can actually get one of the gravel pieces in their mouths. However, six months to a year from now, that will change, and you will most definitely want to prepare for that. If you search the forum, you'll see a number of gravel swallowing threads. :/

However, as I said, there is time, so don't panic. Just know that it's something you'll need to address not in the immediate future, but not years, either.

Don't ever use algae control substances. Working by controlling the lighting. The algicides can have terrible effects on the fish.

For plants, you can actually super glue more rocks etc. to the bases to make them heavier. My goldfish don't really uproot the plants anyway.

Well, to put your mind at ease, you do have a little bit of time. At this point, it's doubtful that they can actually get one of the gravel pieces in their mouths. However, six months to a year from now, that will change, and you will most definitely want to prepare for that. If you search the forum, you'll see a number of gravel swallowing threads. :/

However, as I said, there is time, so don't panic. Just know that it's something you'll need to address not in the immediate future, but not years, either.

Don't ever use algae control substances. Working by controlling the lighting. The algicides can have terrible effects on the fish.

For plants, you can actually super glue more rocks etc. to the bases to make them heavier. My goldfish don't really uproot the plants anyway.

Sigh. Ok... thank you very much for telling me.

I'll look into buying sand and silk plants next time I have money.

Thanks for the tip on the algae killer too. Really don't want anything bad to happen to these fish.

What about putting some corys in the tank? Would they help? I have two albino corys...

Do you think this would work? I found rainbow aquarium PEBBLES. They say they are about 9 mm in size! :) That sounds big enough to me... do you think so?

Do you have a link?

Do you have a link?

http://www.purewaterpebbles.com/aquarium-gravel/frosted.html

That is the "frosted colors" but I think it also comes in the same size BUT more rainbow. :)

Do you have a link?

http://www.purewaterpebbles.com/aquarium-gravel/frosted.html

That is the "frosted colors" but I think it also comes in the same size BUT more rainbow. :)

It is on amazon, but doesn't say the size at amazon.

It might be OK. I'm curious as to what other forum members will say. :)

Cool thanks! It won't be for awhile so I'll keep this in mind if others think it would be ok.

You'd have to do your own research on this, but Crayola makes colored play sand. The good news is, it even comes in lots of bright colors. :) If you use your google-fu, there are lots of people that use it in their aquariums.

I'm not sure about the rocks that you posted, but I'm not really a fan of any gravel, unfortunately. I have found that, over the years, the "painted" gravel types end up chipping, and releasing the paint bits into the water column. :( And there's also the problem with gravel getting stuck in their mouths. :scared You'd be amazed how big these fish get. My largest fish can put my pinky finger into his mouth, up to my first knuckle. He's only been with me a year, and he was quite small, when I bought him.

Awww I just hate it that your plan isn't working out like you wanted!! I hope you are able to find the perfect stuff to go with your theme!!

Something I haven't seen mentioned: Is the castle hollow?

Here is an article on hollow ornaments.

I'm sorry this idea isn't working like you thought. :( Goldfish are pretty limiting when it comes to their environments, but that encourages us to get more creative!

Also, I've had silk plants in my tank with weighted bases. PetCo has a line of 'watercolor' silk plants with gravel bases that stay on the bottom well, even in my tank when it was bare bottom!

I like the look of your tank now :) if your going full vintage you need a vintage thermometer ;) like this one ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquatics-Stainless-Steel-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Thermometer-/160834465607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25727b2f47

I do also agree in the gravel as a choking hazard as well as a hazard in trapping harmful gasses :(

I also suggest NOT to use anything chemical to control algae!!!

I hope in time you will find just the right way to see your theme dream :)

Pardoning any potential aqua-piggie safety concerns...OMG IT'S SOOO PRETTY AAAAAAAAH! :D :D :D I'm a rainbow queen xD My last background, and still favorite, was simple rainbow tie-dye wrapping paper. I had silk plants in my tank before and they come in awesome colors. This was one of my favorites: http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/8/800443165843C.jpg

You'd have to do your own research on this, but Crayola makes colored play sand. The good news is, it even comes in lots of bright colors. :) If you use your google-fu, there are lots of people that use it in their aquariums.

I'm not sure about the rocks that you posted, but I'm not really a fan of any gravel, unfortunately. I have found that, over the years, the "painted" gravel types end up chipping, and releasing the paint bits into the water column. :( And there's also the problem with gravel getting stuck in their mouths. :scared You'd be amazed how big these fish get. My largest fish can put my pinky finger into his mouth, up to my first knuckle. He's only been with me a year, and he was quite small, when I bought him.

Ahh Awesome! I found big quantities of sand for pretty cheap. I'll be getting some in aprox. 4/5 months. I don't have money untill then unless I suddenly get bigger pay checks for no reason at all. :P

WOW THAT IS A BIG FISH. :o

Awww I just hate it that your plan isn't working out like you wanted!! I hope you are able to find the perfect stuff to go with your theme!!

Thank you. :)

I'm sorry this idea isn't working like you thought. :( Goldfish are pretty limiting when it comes to their environments, but that encourages us to get more creative!

Also, I've had silk plants in my tank with weighted bases. PetCo has a line of 'watercolor' silk plants with gravel bases that stay on the bottom well, even in my tank when it was bare bottom!

OH I have an idea!!! I'll take them all out, fill them with some rocks, and seal the bases off with clay or some other aquarium safe glue like substance. :) That will fix everything. (I am very good with my hands / crafty)

I like the look of your tank now :) if your going full vintage you need a vintage thermometer ;) like this one ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquatics-Stainless-Steel-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Thermometer-/160834465607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25727b2f47

I do also agree in the gravel as a choking hazard as well as a hazard in trapping harmful gasses :(

LOL no thanks. Actually the only reason I got vintage is that that seems to be the only time period that these bright obnoxious ornaments come from! :)

but then I realized its super cool that they are all vintage! XD

Pardoning any potential aqua-piggie safety concerns...OMG IT'S SOOO PRETTY AAAAAAAAH! :D :D :D I'm a rainbow queen xD My last background, and still favorite, was simple rainbow tie-dye wrapping paper. I had silk plants in my tank before and they come in awesome colors. This was one of my favorites: http://www.petco.com/assets/product_images/8/800443165843C.jpg

AHH THANKS! :D I thought about literally painting the back of the tank with acrylics but then I decided that if I ever wanted to change it it would be hard-ish to scrape off. Not too bad, but thin layers of acrylic are hard to get off. Glass isin't too bad to paint though. I know they sell glass paint trays at art stores because its easy to get off glass. I might get a few poster bored sheets and acrylic those... I don't know. I don't really like my background. I'd rather have a huge rainbow in the sky on the background! Sounds like your background was pretty cool!

Oh my, have you seen this aquarium background at petsmart? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11252586&lmdn=Fish+Decor&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

SUPER CUTE. But only for 10 gallons. :(

Yes, I've seen plants like that but they just aren't as rainbow neon as I wanted!!! Sadly (I know its a safety hazard) but I might keep the plastic plants and just watch out for fish with fin damage. If any damage occurs I will immediately replace them with silk plants. Its just I spent about $80 on my decorations and I really don't have another tank to put them in or anything else that matches to replace them with! :(

I recently spent a bunch on decorations and none of them worked out and I wasted my money. Your tank looks cool. I must say I was hesitant to switch from sand as I have always had gravel. But let me tell you....It looks really nice and it forms a barrier so that crud does not sink down in it and makes my tank easy to clean. My commons, who LOVE to forage through the substrate adore it. I only find a little in my canister filter. Solid Goldfish (the blog) has a nice Youtube video on how to get started with sand and another on on how to clean it. You also have to run your hand through it once a week to make sure there are no air pockets in it but my water is sooo much cleaner than when I had gravel. I used 3/4 of a 20 pound bag for my 55. Highly recommended. Although I heard the colored sand (pink, aqua, etc.) changes the color of you water, which can't be good.

What do you all think of this from this link: http://renasherwood.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Set-Up-A-Goldfish-Tank

I was reading the "How To Set Up A Goldfish Tank" article that was posted here and I saw these few things about setup:

"If you have common goldfish or Black Moors, they can live well in tanks with decorations and heaters. But if you want to keep really fancy, delicate strains of goldfish like Celestial or Bubble Eye, then you need to have a bare tank... Comets, Commons and Shubunkins. They are colorful, active, hardy and won't mind changes in interior decoration."

What do fancy/faintail/oranda/ranchu's count as? That's what I have and am getting more of and sticking to.

Also saw this: "some sort of substrate, such as 1/8 inch (3 mm) gravel made for aquariums."

AND: "(add)... Decorations specifically made for aquarium use. Avoid seashells or any CERAMIC items, as these can leech chemicals into the water that will kill the goldfish and any live plants."

I have ceramic decorations specifically made for fish tanks... are those ok? I'm thinking I will dry them off and coat them with epoxy. ALSO fill them with rocks and epoxy because they are hollow.

I recently spent a bunch on decorations and none of them worked out and I wasted my money. Your tank looks cool. I must say I was hesitant to switch from sand as I have always had gravel. But let me tell you....It looks really nice and it forms a barrier so that crud does not sink down in it and makes my tank easy to clean. My commons, who LOVE to forage through the substrate adore it. I only find a little in my canister filter. Solid Goldfish (the blog) has a nice Youtube video on how to get started with sand and another on on how to clean it. You also have to run your hand through it once a week to make sure there are no air pockets in it but my water is sooo much cleaner than when I had gravel. I used 3/4 of a 20 pound bag for my 55. Highly recommended. Although I heard the colored sand (pink, aqua, etc.) changes the color of you water, which can't be good.

OH! Awesome! Thanks! :)

I just posted something a minute ago from a link about decorating goldfish tanks... will you take a peek at what I said please?

OH! Awesome! Thanks! :)

I just posted something a minute ago from a link about decorating goldfish tanks... will you take a peek at what I said please?

I'll check it out. I am totally not an expert though. I forgot to say that my commons, that are HUGH tear up everything so I can't do regular plants I bought these heavy duty suction cups from Big Als on line and used fishing line to tie my silk plants to the suction cups and then stick the on the side of the tank. It works pretty well. And by the way, Big Metal fan in the 80's, so thumbs up for the video sound track!!!

I also forgot to add that I recently added sand and some crushed coral to my tank and find it as easy to keep clean as was barebottom and my fish a always digging in it and spitting it out all over the place so apparently they enjoy the foraging activity ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4