I (think) I have babies!

justme9984

Well, about 2 weeks ago I was cleaning the tank when I saw something "wiggling" about. I netted it, and it appeared to be a teeny tiny baby fish. I caught five in total (all I could see). I put them in a separate 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter, and decided they had to be pleco babies. (I have a male and female bn pleco in the goldfish tank). Well, I've never raised egg-laying fish before so someone told me if they were pleco babies, they were easy and all I needed was some zucchini slices and algae wafers. So for the past 2 weeks I've been switching out a Slice of zucchini everyday and giving bits of algae wafers. I lost one about 3 days after I caught them, but the other four are still alive. 2 seem to be flourishing, one is about 3/4 their size and one looks like it hasn't grown much at all. Well, I was wondering why they weren't "acting" like pelvis sticking to places... Instead they just swim/float about. Iwas cleaning the tank today and decided to take them out and put themin a container while I scrubbed the tank and upon further inspection, these babies have teeny-tiny fan tails! I don't know how or if this is even possible, but I'm pretty sure somehow, someway I have 4 baby goldfish. The only two kinds of fish in the tank are Goldies and the plecos and last I checked bn plecos don't have fan tails. So my question is, what do I do now!? How do I keep these babies alive and well? Any suggestions appreciated, I will be doing lots of research this evening!

Whatever you did so far probably worked well. I would try to get my hands on brine shrimp eggs though and have some fresh live baby brine shrimp available as food. There is a TON of tutorials online - just make sure to only have a teeeeeny batch hatch at a time, since you want to feed the BBS within 48 hours after hatching since that is when they are the most nutritious (because they still have their yolk sack during that time).

Other than that, just like with adult fish. Lots of clean water, gentle water changes, stable temperature and pH, uneaten food and poo cleaned off the bottom of the tank. Since zucchini and algae wafer seemed to have worked, I'd continue feeding this.

Good luck, and keep us updated! And PHOTOS. :D

Ok, so continue with algae wafers/zucchini. Any first bites or anything? I was reading some thread where someone mentioned adding prazi? Why would you need to do that? I have the 10 gallon with a sponge filter and a heater set at 77. Is that too warm for the goldies? (I thought I was raising plecos :D ). Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Ps- will goldfish cross-breed? The only behavior I observed was Cousteau (my black telescope) has been chasing around the others, but they are oranda and ranchu. I guess we'll have to wait and see! I hope I can keep them healthy!