Well, I removed the driftwood

I removed a large piece of driftwood from my tank because it was lowering my ph too much. The fish seem to love that it's gone. They're doing paces across the tank unhindered by the wood. I thought they liked having the wood to swim through and hide in but I was wrong xD

Yeah, I am not a big fan of driftwood in a goldfish tank. It can affect the pH too easily and fat, clumsy fancies can injure themselves too easily on this decoration. I once had a fish that had wedged herself in UNDERNEATH the wood in order to get at some food, and must have spent all night stuck like that under the wood.

Considered how wacky some of our aquapuppies are, I think it is usually safer to keep the driftwood for a tropical tank :D

Yeah, I am not a big fan of driftwood in a goldfish tank. It can affect the pH too easily and fat, clumsy fancies can injure themselves too easily on this decoration. I once had a fish that had wedged herself in UNDERNEATH the wood in order to get at some food, and must have spent all night stuck like that under the wood.

Considered how wacky some of our aquapuppies are, I think it is usually safer to keep the driftwood for a tropical tank :D

What about small pieces of driftwood to adhere anubias to? That must have been an awful ordeal, poor little chubbly lady. I believe you are right though, they seem happier, at least, without the driftwood. Now I have to decide on décor again...hmm...

I am not a fan of (real) driftwood in my goldfish tank, either. I know some people (like Helen) who does very successfully with them, because she does quite a great job at keeping them clean etc., but I have always had issues with stuff growing on the wood, fish wedging themselves under the wood etc. It was just not fun. :rofl

I am not a fan of (real) driftwood in my goldfish tank, either. I know some people (like Helen) who does very successfully with them, because she does quite a great job at keeping them clean etc., but I have always had issues with stuff growing on the wood, fish wedging themselves under the wood etc. It was just not fun. :rofl

I didn't realize they wedged themselves under it so often O.O Now I feel bad for putting it there in the first place lol

I didn't realize they wedged themselves under it so often O.O Now I feel bad for putting it there in the first place lol

It's not so much that they like to wedge themselves anywhere, but being piggies, if they detect food anywhere near, they will try to force themselves there to get to the food.

What about small pieces of driftwood to adhere anubias to? That must have been an awful ordeal, poor little chubbly lady. I believe you are right though, they seem happier, at least, without the driftwood. Now I have to decide on décor again...hmm...

Those are fine as long as they do no affect the pH or have sharp edges (same goes for rocks, of course). :)

But again, all this is just my personal view of this matter.

I prefer driftwood in tropical aquariums but sometimes people make it look really good in goldfish tanks. I'm sure your goldies enjoy all the extra room! :D

I removed mine also. :D

It did not affect my PH but it would not stop leaching tannins so my water was always a little yellow.

My fish seem a little bored without it but they do have more room.

Any ideas of something interesting I can put in for them? Maybe more plants to explore?