Sign in to follow this  
blubblubblub

Question about Ehiem 2217 canister filter?

I was thinking of getting this for my 55 in addition to my other HOBs (I have 3, will take the smallest out to replace). It would be my first canister.

• Is it a good choice? It says it's for 159 gallons and is the most expensive. Saw a couple people on here say they have this for their 55g...otherwise I would have gone with the 66g one or something..
  • Is it worth it?

thanks! :)

I love my Eheim, although I have the Ecco, not the classic. :)

It's definitely worth it, and worth it for you to shop around for the best deals, as you've found out! :D

Ahh! Hmm there are so many types now that I'm looking.. no idea what the differences are. Hmm...

Go here, and you can read up a bit more on the differences

http://www.eheimna.com/products/detail/Classic

For me, the classic is more like "bare bones," the ecco pro is bit more souped up, and the professional line even more so.

The other option is to get a Fluval 206 or 306 for your tank. :)

I don't think you can really go wrong with an Eheim. Lots of people have classics and love them. I have the Ecco 2236, basic difference is the ecco lines are self priming whereas the classics are not. This is an important difference to me personally. ;) I love my Eheim.

Amazon occasionally sells "open box" Eheim 2217s for $53! I bought one of these and it was brand new I would buy from Amazon or valuepetsupplies.com, depending on which is less expensive with tax and shipping.

Edited by schoolie

OHHHH yes I think I would like self priming.. you guys are great <3

Read the ads carefully.

I found some state media others dont.

Generally the cheaper ones dont mention coming with media.

This is usually why the same filter can be alot cheaper as it wont have any ceramic media (unless stated)

Good point. I can confirm that the Amazon Eheim 2217 for around $140 does come with everything, including all media. The $270 price is just outrageous markup. For that particular model, don't pay more than $140 for it.

The 2217 isn't self priming, but once it is primed you can close off the disconnect valves, and detach the filter from the intake and output tubes for cleaning. When you are done, you reattach the filter, open the valves, and the pump primes automatically. You only need to prime when you have to clean the input and output tubing.

Oops--wrong thread LOL!

Edited by pawsplus

Elizabeth,

Did you rinse the media? Is that canister fully primed?