Sign in to follow this  
ElaineSelene

Cloudy water... what to do?

my water is cloudy... Until my test kit comes all I have are some test strips but here are my readings as far as I can tell...

GH: 0

KH: 240

PH: 8.5

NO2: 10?

N03: 10?

Tap water:

GH: 6.0

KH: 240

PH: 7.0

N02: 0

N03: 0

What I did is treat it for cloudy water, put in something to balance the PH to 7, and treated it for high ammonia... I also added tap water conditioner (when I first filled the tank) and API: quickstart.

I didn't know about cycling back when I started the tank... Now I'm stuck and I have a new fish coming soon in the mail... what can I do?

What else I did: Added water from my boyfriends turtle tank whose only problem was high KH...

Added water from my tropical tank: Which is clear but I don't have enough strips to do a test on.

Your test strips seem a bit wonky....I wouldn't trust them at all...your GH should be at least equivalent to your KH reading...so that's kind of odd.

Also, it looks like you could have potentially cross contaminated your water....I don't reccommend putting water from other tanks in to this one....

What I've learned from the mods here...less is better. Don't panic and throw a bunch of chemicals in to the tank (you will regret it later I promise! I definitely have!)

Also, cloudy water isn't neccessarily bad for the fish....

A couple questions that may help the mods and others solve your issues:

(1) What kind of fish are you putting in the tank? Goldfish? (How many fish?)

(2) What do you mean you treated for high ammonia? What did you use?

(3) When did you set up the tank and how long has it been running? Last water change? (Sometimes all the tank needs is time to settle if you have filled it recently)

(4) Do you have substrate in your tank? If so, what kind?

(5) Can you list EVERYTHING you put in the tank specifically (ie what type of water conditioner and/or additives)

(6) What filter(s), type of filtration are you using?

(7) What size is the tank?

Pictures would be helpful I'm sure too....

Edited by jfg5018

Oh and also, what is your water source?

If you get your water from a public utility company...check their website for the Water Quality Reports.

They might give you a better idea of what your water parameters are of your tap water while you wait for your test kit to arrive.

My water is cloudy as well so I'll post my test information as well.

I upgraded from a 20 to a 30 gallon and upgraded to a 55/75 aqueon filter which runs at 400 gph. My aquarium is bare bottom with two amazon sword plants. I have one 3 inch Ryukin goldfish. I have had my aquarium up for about a week and it is so cloudy, like grey cloudy and I'm not to sure why.

PH: 7.2

Ammonia: .25 ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

My ammonia has been staying at 0 but it went up for some reason. I don't have a GH and KH kit yet sooo.. I don't have those results. I haven't put any chemicals or additives to the aquarium. Just water and a new setup with an old filter cartridge.

Any Ideas?

A big big big red flag

My water is cloudy as well so I'll post my test information as well.

I upgraded from a 20 to a 30 gallon and upgraded to a 55/75 aqueon filter which runs at 400 gph. My aquarium is bare bottom with two amazon sword plants. I have one 3 inch Ryukin goldfish. I have had my aquarium up for about a week and it is so cloudy, like grey cloudy and I'm not to sure why.

PH: 7.2

Ammonia: .25 ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

My ammonia has been staying at 0 but it went up for some reason. I don't have a GH and KH kit yet sooo.. I don't have those results. I haven't put any chemicals or additives to the aquarium. Just water and a new setup with an old filter cartridge.

Any Ideas?

Hi Ele-

You need to get a water conditioner (Prime seems to be the leading favorite here...I use it too) ASAP, especially if you use utility tap water to fill your tank!

Your ammonia probably spiked because you aren't cycled or are experiencing a cycle bump. But if you aren't treating your water with a conditioner and your local water supply uses chlorine and/or chloramines (almost all do) to treat your water, you may have inadvertantly sterilized your filter. It will also kill your fish.

Prime will detox the chlorine/chloramines and also ammonia while you cycle the tank.

In terms of cloudy water, I can't personally say for sure, your water may be high in particulates and/or minerals...but I use Koi Clay in my tank and my water is crystal clear! It's amazing!

People here will also tell you that a 20-30 gallon is on the small side for your 1 goldfish (ie don't add anymore). Many people say a minimum of 40B tank is ideal for a single goldfish. But if that isn't possible (especially since you recently upgraded) as long as you do large water changes frequently, especially if your cycle crashed, its doable.

Edited by jfg5018

My water has no chlorine in it because I'm not on city water. I do have some of that just in case i need it for something but I don't feel like adding extra chemicals to my aquarium at this time will be beneficial.

I have been wondering about adding some sort of extra bio media to my filter, there is a large empty space where water runs through so maybe if I got some bio media to put in there it will make my water clearer.

Also, I haven't quite understood the debate on tank size. I've had my 20 set up for almost a year and have had this one fish, I wasn't especially planning on getting another. However, I understand the 20 for the first fish and 10 for each additional rule to be a widespread idea on this website as well. It all confuses me :huh: I guess it comes down to personal choice?

Thank you for the idea on what to use for extra filtration! :)

Suck out all that water and start over.

Oh good! I'm glad to hear that about the chlorine! I was scared for a second. You are SO lucky! I just moved from DC where my water had high chloramines and chlorine treatment as well as 1 ppm ammonia out of the tap! BOO!

Did you recently put in new carbon media in your filter? If it wasn't rinsed out thouroughly it could make your water mucky looking...I don't personally use carbon in my filters...but if you don't have it in your filter...it will also help clear your water up too if the cloudiness bugs you.

But Koi Clay is great and a natural option to using charcoal. It will also make your goldfish's colors pop!

The idea behind the tank size is (1) Goldfish produce a lot of waste and in turn ammonia, nitrates, nitrites which are less toxic at diluted levels. Having a larger tank helps keep them this way and should reduce time spent on tank maintenance. (2) Goldfish like room to move around in the water column and horizontally (3) It is easier to maintain water quality in a larger volume of water. Large swings in pH and other parameters are less likely to occur ie water conditions are more stable.

Edited by jfg5018

Darn about the chemicals! Maybe I should do a water change? I did add alot...

as of this moment there are 2 goldfish. Third one coming on tuesday morning.

I used... AmQuel Plus - ammonia detoxifier

(3) When did you set up the tank and how long has it been running? Last water change? (Sometimes all the tank needs is time to settle if you have filled it recently)

Set up and running since something like July 15th? July 20th?

Do you mean gravel? I have colored fish tank gravel...

(5) Can you list EVERYTHING you put in the tank specifically (ie what type of water conditioner and/or additives)

Aquaclear Plus

Amquel Ammonia detoxifier

QuickStart - aquarium starter

API Proper PH 7.0 PH Balance

Clarity - Water Clarifier

I have a marineland 350 and a marineland 200

55 gallons

My test kit should be here today or Monday.

Suck out all that water and start over.

Do you mean me or Ele? or both of us?

I'm concerned to do that!

Your test strips seem a bit wonky....I wouldn't trust them at all...your GH should be at least equivalent to your KH reading...so that's kind of odd.

Also, it looks like you could have potentially cross contaminated your water....I don't reccommend putting water from other tanks in to this one....

What I've learned from the mods here...less is better. Don't panic and throw a bunch of chemicals in to the tank (you will regret it later I promise! I definitely have!)

Also, cloudy water isn't neccessarily bad for the fish....

A couple questions that may help the mods and others solve your issues:

Pictures would be helpful I'm sure too....

Wait, cross contamination? I heard about doing the water from another tank from several websites and people who own fish. Supposedly it means you can borrow some established bacteria from another tank. I didn't know that was not a good idea. I just heard it and read it.

My post "suck all the water out and start over" was directed towards the original post. No need to start with a tank full of dirty water and who knows what else. If you want to help get the tank cycled faster, the normal way to do it is to take established filter media from another tank that has already "cycled". There isn't much in the old dirty water that would be of any use.

Also since someone mentioned being on a well I would like to point out that I am also on a well and I have a 1600 gallon pond and 4 fish tanks going that total another 159 gallons and I never pour anything into my water. OK except maybe a little blue dye into the pond twice a year. Stop pouring junk in there :)

Also since someone mentioned being on a well I would like to point out that I am also on a well and I have a 1600 gallon pond and 4 fish tanks going that total another 159 gallons and I never pour anything into my water. OK except maybe a little blue dye into the pond twice a year. Stop pouring junk in there :)

Ahhh ok thanks.

Yep just change out the water-if you have city water add the amquel (people here also like amquel a lot)...I don't personally like ph proper...I'd only use it if you know you need to...(ie your ph is less than 7). Better to just use baking soda if you need to adjust ph/kh but it sounds like you know your water source has a pretty high kh already?

Otherwise, if water is cloudy you can use koi clay as a natural alternative) or pop in fresh charcoal to your filter (but I wouldn't keep charcoal in all the time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

At this point I guess my advice would be to test the water if you have concerns and decide based on the results.

Oh good! I'm glad to hear that about the chlorine! I was scared for a second. You are SO lucky! I just moved from DC where my water had high chloramines and chlorine treatment as well as 1 ppm ammonia out of the tap! BOO!

Did you recently put in new carbon media in your filter? If it wasn't rinsed out thouroughly it could make your water mucky looking...I don't personally use carbon in my filters...but if you don't have it in your filter...it will also help clear your water up too if the cloudiness bugs you.

But Koi Clay is great and a natural option to using charcoal. It will also make your goldfish's colors pop!

The idea behind the tank size is (1) Goldfish produce a lot of waste and in turn ammonia, nitrates, nitrites which are less toxic at diluted levels. Having a larger tank helps keep them this way and should reduce time spent on tank maintenance. (2) Goldfish like room to move around in the water column and horizontally (3) It is easier to maintain water quality in a larger volume of water. Large swings in pH and other parameters are less likely to occur ie water conditions are more stable.

I love having none of that junk in my water it comes in handy when filling aquariums :D

I do believe that my filter cartridges have carbon in them so I may not have rinsed enough... I am definitely looking into koi clay! It isn't to expensive for the amount they give you!!

Also, well you never can tell! By the time my fish matures to a extremely large size I may have a 100 gallon aquarium haha this hobby certainly is addicting! And I understand all the water quality concerns in relation to tank size there are just SO many different guidelines to stocking a goldfish aquarium.

Elaine,

Could you please bring your tank and tap water to an LFS, ask them to check the parameters, and make them give you the actual values? Thanks.

Otherwise, you've been getting fantastic help! :D

Where do you get koi clay?