How much food and which food?

ElaineSelene

I have two kinds of food (will last me a very long time and I have no money for more right at the moment so these will have to do...)

I have Tetrafin goldfish flake food and I have Omega One Protein formula Large sinking pellets.

The pellets are a little too big for them right now... they have to wait for them to get mushy before they can actually get them into their mouths. LOL.

I see soo many mixed messages about how much food to give them! 2 minutes, 5 minutes, once a day, 2 times a day...

My current 2 or three goldfish (third one is coming soon in the mail) are approximately 2 inches long. The third will be minimum 3 inches long.

How much do I feed them for their size? How do I increase when they get bigger and by how much? I'm very confused.

Thanks!

The best would be to weigh your fish. You need a kitchen scale that works in grams. Set a bowl with tank water on the scale, check the weight. Add one fish, check the weight, and the difference is of course the weight of your fish.

Of their combined body weight, you feed them 1% of that weight in dry food daily. Let's say your fish weigh 50gram together, you will feed them half a gram in dry food daily.

Of course the half gram may be hard to weigh out, but then just weigh out the next closest weight (for example 2gram) and divide the pile of food in four equally large piles. One of these piles is the total food to feed them over the course of a day.

You don't need to weigh it out daily, just remember about how much food total it was and then keep feeding approximately that amount. :)

If you feed fresh vegetables too, simply feed these in addition to the dry food.

Hope this helps! :)

The best would be to weigh your fish. You need a kitchen scale that works in grams. Set a bowl with tank water on the scale, check the weight. Add one fish, check the weight, and the difference is of course the weight of your fish.

Of their combined body weight, you feed them 1% of that weight in dry food daily. Let's say your fish weigh 50gram together, you will feed them half a gram in dry food daily.

Of course the half gram may be hard to weigh out, but then just weigh out the next closest weight (for example 2gram) and divide the pile of food in four equally large piles. One of these piles is the total food to feed them over the course of a day.

You don't need to weigh it out daily, just remember about how much food total it was and then keep feeding approximately that amount. :)

If you feed fresh vegetables too, simply feed these in addition to the dry food.

Hmmm... a little difficult since I don't have a scale... :( Thanks I'll keep this in mind though!

If you can, it is best to feed small amounts multiple times a day as opposed to only 1-2x per day. Something like 3-5x per day is better.

In terms of how much to feed, what Fang outlined above is the best way to get an idea of exactly how much to feed. You may want to consider investing in a kitchen scale when you are able. They are relatively cheap (15-30 dollars typically) and you can use it throughout the life of your fish to adjust the amount you are feeding as they grow.

For now I would just aim for multiple small meals a day.

If you can, it is best to feed small amounts multiple times a day as opposed to only 1-2x per day. Something like 3-5x per day is better.

In terms of how much to feed, what Fang outlined above is the best way to get an idea of exactly how much to feed. You may want to consider investing in a kitchen scale when you are able. They are relatively cheap (15-30 dollars typically) and you can use it throughout the life of your fish to adjust the amount you are feeding as they grow.

For now I would just aim for multiple small meals a day.

Ahh awesome! I'll try. Thanks!

Omega One is great, but the large pellets are huge. These pellets are not working out at all for me, even though my fish are quite large.

I would stick with the small or medium pellets, and no flakes. :)

Omega One is great, but the large pellets are huge. These pellets are not working out at all for me, even though my fish are quite large.

Agreed. But for now you could always crush up the omega one pellets you left a little bit in order to make them a bit smaller :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. But for now you could always crush up the omega one pellets you left a little bit in order to make them a bit smaller :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OH! Great ideas thank you! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for asking this one Elaine, I'm still trying to get my head around it and everyone's responses have really helped me to! :D

Thanks for this simple break down, really useful! :D Just to clarify, veggies don't count towards the 1%?

Veggies are usually considered in addition to the 1%

This, but do watch out for how much total volume of food a fish might be able to tolerate.

For example, I decided to give my fish some seaweed the other day and accidentally gave too much of this on top of their regular food. One of them was constipated for a day. :o

Veggies are usually considered in addition to the 1%

This, but do watch out for how much total volume of food a fish might be able to tolerate.

For example, I decided to give my fish some seaweed the other day and accidentally gave too much of this on top of their regular food. One of them was constipated for a day. :o

Oh no! Poor thing. Consider me warned! I usually just give them a couple of spinach leaves, I'm guessing the key is being observant and seeing how they go?