Red fins and gills, Septicemia?

Here is a link to my previous posting:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112195-goldfish-with-red-streaks-in-tail-and-possible-fungus/

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) .25
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) See pic of test below. More than 20 less than 160.
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API test kit, drops
      • * Water temperature? 75-80, generally 78
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 125, up one week with established filters, see previous post
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 405, Rena Filstar 4
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? once a week, 30%.
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 24 hours, 35 gallons
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 fish, 1 pleco. Size of fish, 1 large, 5 medium, 1 small. pleco is very small
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? once a day, omega one small sinking pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? yes, small goldfish, small pleco. see previous post about guppies.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Currently 0.1% salt, added 6 days ago
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. none
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? two have bloody streaks in tail and one of those is missing a few scales also one has had the streaks for a week while the other has developed recently, one is scratched possibly from guppies of decor, one has white on front fins that is three dimensional. see pics. New goldfish has just, within the past 36 hours, developed red streaks in fins and red around base of fins. See pic
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? all are eating well but swimming slowly and/or hovering near bottom. fish with possible fungus floating around but not really swimming. one of the fish that is hovering at bottom has always been a bottom hoverer and occasional floater, he has only one eye. New fish swimming listlessly.

IMG_5396_zps6ebce2ec.jpgIMG_5393_zpse5d55d2e.jpg

What could this be?

I would definitely recommend doing a back to back 80% WC to get the nitrates and ammonia down.

And start changing at least 50% of your water weekly. :)

Please do not add any more salt. It would be best to remove the salt in the tank unless otherwise directed, as the salt and ammonia do not mix.

Please wait for a mod's approval before adding anything to the aquarium. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

I agree that one of the first things that needed to be done was the reduction of nitrates in the tank.

Your last post in your other thread mentioned that you think there was a pleco attack. Are there wounds? Where are they? How is the fish doing? Have you done the necessary WCs as suggested above?

For future reference, once you've started a D&D, please keep with it until the problem has been resolved. That way all the information is in one place. Making a new thread will just make things more confusing, and won't get help any faster. :hug

Yes, I have done the water changes and will do another one in the morning if necessary. Right now the ammonia and nitrates are at 0. I am unsure of the pleco attack, I don't know why the new fish, who is pictured above, suddenly had red gills and fins. I saw the pleco snap at two of the fish and by the time I scooped him out he had snapped at several more including the new guy. That was the first time I saw him be aggressive towards and I was speculating that maybe he could have been the cause of their general distress.

Right now half of the fish are bottom sitting and the other half are near the surface lazily swimming about. They all look so sad! What is the best treatment? could they have septicemia? Should I continue with the salt treatment? I did not re-salt after the WC.

Sorry about the double posting, I'm having a bit of an aqua meltdown over here.

• Supporter

i will go ahead and read the other thread as Alex did (thank you for posting the link), in the meantime, could you please upload a video of your fish's behaviour as well as focusing on the concerned areas? you are welcome to speak through it as you point out what you need to bring to our attention. i feel it is best, seeing there is more than one fish behaving out of character. it's always good to get a visual understanding to the problem :)

• Supporter

wow! they've been through a huge ordeal.. i would say that a lot of the problems are stress related and water quality issues. right now, i think it's best you keep the tank goldfish only. since other inhabitants could be affected by treatments that are safe for goldfish.

i am not a fan of keeping any pleco or tropicals with goldfish. so, if we can find another arrangement for the pleco(s), at this stage, that would be best.

we will wait for a video, when you can.

Yes, several fish have red at the base of their pectoral fins, including the one pictured above. I will make a video of the tank in the morning. In the meantime, here's a pic of the bottom sititng and a few other fin pics.

I have permanently removed the problem pleco. There is still one very small pleco (L018) in the tank that I cannot remove now as I have nowhere to put him. He hangs out in his cave most of the time. I feed him in the cave so he can dine privately and the goldies can't steal his food. I think it was a war between the two plecos and the goldies got in the middle.

Thank you for the feedback!!

IMG_5403_zps38e5c248.jpgIMG_5377_zpsbdc559b2.jpg

• Supporter

can you tell me how well you clean the gravel & ornaments? ie, do you vigorously siphon it from surface to glass base? or do you just lightly vacuum over it? the ornaments, do you scrub underneath them as well as inside?

i am assuming you have taken advice and done the water changes, can we have new tank results for

Ammonia

Nitrite

Nitrates

PH

I don't own a microscope but I could buy one if need be. I deep clean the gravel when I do a WC. I haven't cleaned the ornaments themselves but I clean under and around them. When the plants get crummy looking I replace them with new ones.

Test results and videos will be up in the morning. Thank you!

• Supporter

hun, i don't mean to be asking things that might have already been answered, i am helping out on the fly here (a lot happening around me atm)

have you prazi'd the fish at all? ever?

This morning's results:

Ammonia: 0?

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

PH: 7.6

The ammonia is either 0 or .25. I have a hard time reading the colors occasionally. It is light yellow but I can't be sure there isn't a hint of green, see pic.

The fish, except one, are more active this morning but that may be because they want breakfast. The fish originally posted above seems worse this morning, see pic.

Half the fish were Prazi'd in Feb 2012. The three sitting in the above photo were in that group. The one pictured below was not. The one below, henceforth referred to by name, Jasper is a new fish added last week. He was mail ordered and added to the tank without being QT'd. Bad idea, i know. The other fish have had their symptoms since I switched the tank two weeks ago.

Thank you so much for your help!

I am doing another WC now. Video shortly.IMG_5408_zps24a32e50.jpgIMG_5409_zpsbb5d7c14.jpgIMG_5414_zps26f348cd.jpg

At this point, it does look like the big problem here is septicemia AND flukes.

It's probably one of the worst things ever to add a shipped fish directly to the main tank without having properly quarantined the fish. The stress of shipping allows for quiescent or low-grade infections to become a larger problem, and then this spreads to the other fish in the tank.

For now, can you go and get Tetra Parasite Guard, and treat as directed. You will also need to get some Prazi-Pro, as well as Medi-Gold from goldfishconnection.com.

ARGH, I messed up big time on the mail order fish. Sad.

I will begin treatment immediately, doing WC now then off to find the meds. Do I remove the carbon from the filters while medicating? If so, how do I control ammonia during that time?

Yes, remove the carbon while doing any waterborn treatments. The beneficial bacteria in your filter controls the ammonia, not the carbon. I don't think I've ever used carbon in my filter. It can be useful for removing meds, but you can also just do large WCs to remove the meds. :D

We've all messed up at one time or another. That's what brought many of us here . . . .

Just to make sure of this...

You do need to remove the carbon, but not the whole filter cartridge. You will just have to slice open the cartridge and dump out the activated carbon.

I can get Prazi-Pro locally, should I just use that? Or do I need the Tetra also?

If possible, I'd like for you to start with the parasite guard, and the finish with the Prazipro, because we'll want to do a few rounds of flukes treatment.

Let me know what is feasible for you. :)

Ok. I have the Tetra parasite guard on hand and I will add it as soon as the tank is refilled. I will remove the carbon from the filters. Once the Tetra is in the tank, what do I do next? What if the ammonia or nitrates become a problem?

Thank you so much, I am beyond grateful for everyone's help!!

If ammonia is less than 1ppm, a dose of double dose Of Prime daily should solve the issue for that day. Otherwise, you will want to do a big WC and redose. The idea is that I want the fish in PG for about six days.