Angry Goldfish-What to do?

AshyTay

Hello everyone :hi

I've been having a problem for a while which is two of my four fancy goldfish are overly aggressive. Right now I have my 55gal tank separated into three sections with nets. I hate how it makes my tank look but I can't leave all four together because I worry for their safety. One of the two causing trouble is Nick, a black moor. He use to torment all of my fish until I separated them. About a month later my pearl scale started to do the same thing to my other two, Jimmy (an oranda) and Callisto (a demikin), and they were battered. After they were separated for about a month I tried to re-introduce them together, but nothing had changed. I was hoping someone had a better solution than just separating them. I don't want to have to get rid of Nick or Toby but I feel bad for all of them because they don't have as much room as I wish they did to swim :help: . Thank you for your time.

-Ashlie

(P.S. - I have monitored all the levels of the tank and none of them show any problem. Also I have had all of my fish over a year, and they have been separated for about a month, Nick about two. All but Callisto are male)

Edited by AshyTay

Yes, all but one are male. My female has already laid eggs in June and it was worse then(which I expected), and I tried reintroducing them a few week after she stopped laying eggs but they didn't let up.

I think your fish are telling you that their tank is no longer big enough for them. I expect it was big enough a year ago, but your fish have grown. Any chance you can get another tank for the bullies?

Four in a 55 is a bit tight. Could you try two 40 breeders? Or maybe upgrade to a 75? Or you could even leave three in the 55 and get a 29 for one of them. That's all I can think of.

@AnnaMNR I'm going to do my best at upgrading to a larger tank over the weekend. Thanks!

Sounds great! Your fish will be happier with the extra room and hopefully stop the bullying

Hello everyone :hi

I want to thank all of you for your advise. Sadly I cannot upgrade right now due to space, but I am still working on it so hopefully I will be able to soon. I wanted to let you know that I added a few new decorations to make some hiding places and it worked great. Now they have a place to hide when they get chased and the bully loses interest. This is only a temporary fix, and hopefully I will be able to get them a bigger home soon. Thank you again for the help :)

• 1 year later...