What are some semi aquatic plants you can put in the back of your filters and what are the benefits?

AnnaMNR

Oh yeah, I have a dwarf papyrus too!

You can also get dwarf cat tail and other plants sold for ponds. For a tank they need to be the dwarf or mini type.

What got me interested in mangroves in fish tanks? The idea of a mini tree in my aquarium! lol

Oh yeah, I have a dwarf papyrus too!

You can also get dwarf cat tail and other plants sold for ponds. For a tank they need to be the dwarf or mini type.

What got me interested in mangroves in fish tanks? The idea of a mini tree in my aquarium! lol

That's a good enough reason for me! How big do they get?

If the roots of a pothos were exposed to the fish would it harm them?

Nah, my fish mostly leave them alone, and they're plant monsters. :) I've had them in the tank for a year now, and the pothos is massive! :)

Nah, my fish mostly leave them alone, and they're plant monsters. :) I've had them in the tank for a year now, and the pothos is massive! :)

Good to know!

In other news I went out and bought myself a pothos and a philodendron along with the spider plant I already have.

I can't find anything about toxins in the roots (although my internet is capped so if something takes too long to load I just hit the 'x'; I'm impatient). However, it does seem to be used quite a lot and no one seems to have reported any ill effects. I think that if the leaves were in the water they might have a go at them and that would be more of a problem, but I think the roots get left alone for the most part. My fish aren't interested in plant roots, they're more interested in trying to eat the elodea.

I can't find anything about toxins in the roots (although my internet is capped so if something takes too long to load I just hit the 'x'; I'm impatient). However, it does seem to be used quite a lot and no one seems to have reported any ill effects. I think that if the leaves were in the water they might have a go at them and that would be more of a problem, but I think the roots get left alone for the most part. My fish aren't interested in plant roots, they're more interested in trying to eat the elodea.

Thanks for the tip <3

In other news I went out and bought myself a pothos and a philodendron along with the spider plant I already have.

I can't wait to see photos :).

Not until I've finished aquascaping ;) LOL

Oerba Yun Fang,

When I placed the first Mangrove propagules I had from salt to fresh, I lost many of them. I needed to do a slow transition. Did you go from seed or propagules? Either way, keep up the good work!

Good thing you asked because I really did not know what is what here, as they were sold as "seedlings" :D They were propagules (according to google), having a couple leaves each. Many of these leaves were dropped within the first few weeks but only as new leaves grew. :)