What are some semi aquatic plants you can put in the back of your filters and what are the benefits?

AnnaMNR

I've seen people use lucky bamboo and have heard of pothos but what about light? Do you need special lighting to keep them alive?

My bamboo is going strong but we'll see how it goes! I would love to grow all kinds of things in my tank. Following this thread! :D

They don't need a lot of light. I also now have peace lilies in the backs of my goldfish and planted fish tanks.

That sounds lovely. My tank is near a window but not in front of a window, would that be enough light?

My bamboo is going strong but we'll see how it goes! I would love to grow all kinds of things in my tank. Following this thread! :D

I think bamboo is so pretty.

What is the benefit of having plants in your filters though?

Yep that is enough.

Thanks! Now I have to hit the stores lol Are there any plants that I cannot use or wouldn't do well growing in water? And can I use pothos?

I have several pothos in my filters. Well they are all in a 1 gallon jar with water I wanted to feed them. lol But yes they do great.

I have several pothos in my filters. Well they are all in a 1 gallon jar with water I wanted to feed them. lol But yes they do great.

My grandma has a bunch of pothos plants, I'll see if I can get some from her.

I have freshwater mangroves in my tanks. They help reduce nitrate, nitrite and phosphate. I imagine that lucky bamboo, pothos, and peace lilies would do the same. Just be careful of peace lilies, I've read that they can be toxic to cats.

I have bamboo and mangroves in mine. They seem to do just fine on natural light but I want to hang my current light from the ceiling to give the mangroves additional light.

I was worried about adding additional lighting. I really don't want to do that LOL

I'm pretty sure plant roots eat nitrates :)

Always a good thing! Thank you!

I have freshwater mangroves in my tanks. They help reduce nitrate, nitrite and phosphate. I imagine that lucky bamboo, pothos, and peace lilies would do the same. Just be careful of peace lilies, I've read that they can be toxic to cats.

Where do you get freshwater mangroves? Would the light from my window be enough? Thanks for the info

I've used lucky bamboo, peace lilies, pothos, and spider plants in my tank, and they all did exceedingly well. :) They do not require special lighting, and in fact, my living room is super dark (even during the day), and my plants thrive. :)

Where do you get freshwater mangroves? Would the light from my window be enough? Thanks for the info

I sell freshwater acclimated mangroves (ask Pearlscaleperfect). Sometimes you can find them on ebay or aquabid. My mangroves are grown by window light so they do not need to be blasted with lighting. You could always place a floor lamp (or clip on lamp) near the tank if they are not getting enough light.

:D

Edited by Acro

A plant I have come to love, although maybe not exactly what you are looking for, is red mangrove. You can buy seedlings on ebay and other places.

These plants grow slow, although very large over long time, and do a great job at nitrate absorption.

They float sideways if you do not suspend or plant them properly though.

They also do not need to be slowly transitioned from saltwater to freshwater. I simply added mine to my tanks and that's it. Initially they lost most of their leaves (each came with about 2 leaves) but they re-grew when they adjusted to freshwater.

I bought 9 seedlings and have not lost a single one.

Whenever they grow big, they will also look great in a larger tank. You can keep them at smaller size if you keep trimming them back, sort of like bonsais.

Mine even grow in very low light conditions.

I've used lucky bamboo, peace lilies, pothos, and spider plants in my tank, and they all did exceedingly well. :) They do not require special lighting, and in fact, my living room is super dark (even during the day), and my plants thrive. :)

OOh I have a spider plant! I can put it in my 55, my 29 is th planted one

Would be awesome to see some photos of peoples filter plants! I'm interested in putting lots of plants in my tank. :)

I agree!

I sell freshwater acclimated mangroves (ask Pearlscaleperfect). Sometimes you can find them on ebay or aquabid. My mangroves are grown by window light so they do not need to be blasted with lighting. You could always place a floor lamp (or clip on lamp) near the tank if they are not getting enough light.

:D

I am very interested

qysegeze.jpgdajaqehe.jpg

Oh and this stuff works too but I don't know what it is called.8etu5e7y.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OOOOOHHH Pretty plants!

A plant I have come to love, although maybe not exactly what you are looking for, is red mangrove. You can buy seedlings on ebay and other places.

These plants grow slow, although very large over long time, and do a great job at nitrate absorption.

They float sideways if you do not suspend or plant them properly though.

They also do not need to be slowly transitioned from saltwater to freshwater. I simply added mine to my tanks and that's it. Initially they lost most of their leaves (each came with about 2 leaves) but they re-grew when they adjusted to freshwater.

I bought 9 seedlings and have not lost a single one.

Whenever they grow big, they will also look great in a larger tank. You can keep them at smaller size if you keep trimming them back, sort of like bonsais.

Mine even grow in very low light conditions.

I am very interested in red mangroves. Thank you!

Oerba Yun Fang,

When I placed the first Mangrove propagules I had from salt to fresh, I lost many of them. I needed to do a slow transition. Did you go from seed or propagules? Either way, keep up the good work!

Oerba Yun Fang,

When I placed the first Mangrove propagules I had from salt to fresh, I lost many of them. I needed to do a slow transition. Did you go from seed or propagules? Either way, keep up the good work!

Is getting a mangrove acclimated hard?

I've currently got two white butterfly arrowheads (Daniel E posted a picture; it's the last one in the list) and a silver philodendron in my tank (just the roots). They are both easy to grow and maintain; requiring no special lighting.

In the mail I've got 3x papyrus (depending on space you might want the dwarf version) and 5x lucky bamboo on the way, as well as some white shower caddies to 'plant' them in with some rocks so they don't get swept away by the currents (like Daniel E's photos). I'm also going to get some golden pothos. I've heard that you can use climbing fig and syngoniums as well.

I've been doing bits of reading as I love the idea of having plants keep the nitrates down. From what I can tell, any plant that is fine with having its roots wet and that grows fast will be suitable (fast growth = pulls more stuff out of the water). So bog plants might be something you'd want to look into too to give yourself some more options, as well as Googling things like "houseplants that grow in water" :).

Care also needs to be taken when it comes to placement as a lot of these plants are toxic to cats, dogs and children (adults too but hopefully people aren't going to munch on your plants ;) ).

I've currently got two white butterfly arrowheads (Daniel E posted a picture; it's the last one in the list) and a silver philodendron in my tank (just the roots). They are both easy to grow and maintain; requiring no special lighting.

In the mail I've got 3x papyrus (depending on space you might want the dwarf version) and 5x lucky bamboo on the way, as well as some white shower caddies to 'plant' them in with some rocks so they don't get swept away by the currents (like Daniel E's photos). I'm also going to get some golden pothos. I've heard that you can use climbing fig and syngoniums as well.

I've been doing bits of reading as I love the idea of having plants keep the nitrates down. From what I can tell, any plant that is fine with having its roots wet and that grows fast will be suitable (fast growth = pulls more stuff out of the water). So bog plants might be something you'd want to look into too to give yourself some more options, as well as Googling things like "houseplants that grow in water" :).

Care also needs to be taken when it comes to placement as a lot of these plants are toxic to cats, dogs and children (adults too but hopefully people aren't going to munch on your plants ;) ).

oooh lots of choices! I need to go to garden store like NOW :rofl

The first time I had them, I went from salt right into fresh water and they lost their leaves, some died completely. The next time, I started mixing in fresh into saltwater slowly and it worked. It's not hard, just took time.

I started out with propagules. I don't know if Oerba Yun Fang did something different with hers. She does say she started from seed.

Picture examples:

Seed - http://www.jeffpippen.com/plants/rhizophora-mangle081231-7417collier.coz.jpg

Propagules - http://www.floridacoastalmangroves.com/images/white-seeds.jpg

Edited by Acro

Philodendron, pothos and lucky bamboo will all grow from cuttings so if you know someone who's already got some you can save yourself some money and just ask for a cutting :).

The first time I had them, I went from salt right into fresh water and they lost their leaves, some died completely. The next time, I started mixing in fresh into saltwater slowly and it worked. It's not hard, just took time.

I started out with propagules. I don't know if Oerba Yun Fang did something different with hers. She does say she started from seed.

Picture examples:

Seed - http://www.jeffpippen.com/plants/rhizophora-mangle081231-7417collier.coz.jpg

Propagules - http://www.floridacoastalmangroves.com/images/white-seeds.jpg

Sounds cool. What got you interested in them?

Philodendron, pothos and lucky bamboo will all grow from cuttings so if you know someone who's already got some you can save yourself some money and just ask for a cutting :).

I'll do that! Thank you