Advice on a 10 gallon betta tank? Betta get the facts!

Sooo, I have been thinking about getting some bettas for a long time now... I just recently decided to go ahead and give it a try :D! I love how flowy their tails are and I love how unique their personalities are.I have never kept bettas before so I'm wondering what all I would need for them to have a happy life with me :D.

So, my first question would be about what kind of filtration I would need for a 10 gallon betta tank?

My plan was to have two bettas separated by a tank separator. I was going to have it heavily planted so they couldn't see each other to fight. Would it be ok to keep two males separated like that or would a male and female be better? Also, can they eat repashy soilent green or do they need a specific diet? Do I need a water heater to keep the tank at a stable temp? Also, is there a specific PH they prefer? Oh and would they pick on a ramshorn snail? There are so many things I need to learn, I just want to get my facts now so I don't have to learn from my mistakes :krazy: !

Thanks everyone! I'm super excited for this new project!

Bettas definitely do need a heater. :D They do very well at temps from 78-82 degrees. Separating the tank and making it so they can't see each other seems to work for a lot of other folks around here, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. Bettas need minimal filtration, mostly just make sure the water doesnt toss them around. A lot of people use the smallest AquaClear filter on their 10 gallon betta tanks and baffle the outflow and have great results. As far as picking on tankmates, that one depends on the betta's personality. Some are aggressive, some are really chill. Mine for example is pretty chill, he doesn't do anything more than chase his rasbora tankmates around, and even then it's half-hearted.

Thank you sooo much for the info! Is there a way to judge a bettas personality while its still in the store? I'd imagine it would be kind of difficult to tell with them being unhappy in a cup :-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I have an AC 20 on my 10 gallon divided betta tank. I have it set up so the output dumps onto the divider so there isn't much current at all. I have a male and a female at this time. Before that I had 2 males. Either has worked for me. I had apple snails in there but they bit the antennae off. :o My nerites do much better in there cuz they don't stick out of their shell so much. I dont' really know anything about ramshorn snails. :idont

I feed mine NLS betta formula. They do like soilent green and they LOVE bloodworms. I don't know if SG would be an appropriate staple for a betta. I'm sure someone more versed in bettas can tell you though! :D

Have fun!

I'm new too to all of this but in a thread I started last week some time people recommended blood worms (and other frozen things like brine shrimp etc) and also the Saki Hikari Betta food. They are carnivores and don't need greens in their diet to be healthy I believe. I'm so used to goldies that I grossly overfed so don't make my mistake :yikes . Only a couple bloodworms 2x a day or a few tiny betta pellets twice a day. Looking forward to seeing your setup.

Edited by CindiL

AC20 will work perfectly fine for filtration, and I also use it on my 15 gal betta tank. It's pretty quiet too.

Soilent green is good, but not ideal. You'll be better off feeding them a more carnivorous-based diet such as repashy meat pie, but it's definitely fine to feed throughout the week alongside things like bloodworms or a pellet formula.

A pH between 6.5-8.2 is fine provided it's stable and you adjust them to it accordingly. Ideally, 6.8-7.0 is a more ideal range, and you can achieve this by adding in some indian almond leaves. But as long as it's stable, they'll be fine

Heating is best kept at 80F. That's the ideal temperature for metabolic functions. but many people fluctuate within the ranges of 76-82F.

So, my first question would be about what kind of filtration I would need for a 10 gallon betta tank?

I absolutely adore my zoo med 501 nano canister. You can pick it up on amazon for 33 bucks. In store its like 57 I think. I am currently running one on my 13 gallon betta tank and just ordered a 2nd for my 20 gallon. What I love about it:

- it's quiet

- it holds a lot of media

- it's small for a canister filter

- it has a spray bar (which can be cut to size) - this is my favorite thing. The spray bar reduces current in the tank and evenly distributes the output. The spray bar can also be angled in different ways to further reduce current if you have a sensitive fish (e.g. point it toward the back wall to break the current).

My second filter choice is the AC20, which I had running before I got the canister. This one also does a nice job.

Would it be ok to keep two males separated like that or would a male and female be better?

2 males is fine. The key is plants around the divider to reduce visibility.

Also, can they eat repashy soilent green or do they need a specific diet?

I feed repashy meat pie and new life spectrum betta pellets (and blood worms occasionally). They are carnivores so if you feed repashy the meat pie one would be ideal (not the goldie kinds).

Do I need a water heater to keep the tank at a stable temp?

yes, a heater and stable temp is important for betta health. A 50 watt should be good for your 10 gallon. I really like the aqueon pro heaters.

Also, is there a specific PH they prefer?

In ideal situation neutral (7.0) to slightly acidic (6.7 or so) pH is preferable, along with soft water. However, bettas are highly adaptable and stable pH is ultimately more important. It is better not to mess with the pH to try to lower it. If you have a lower pH out of the tap that's great and no need to worry about it, but if it is higher, don't sweat it. Your bettas will adjust.

Oh and would they pick on a ramshorn snail?

My bettas have never been aggressive toward snails in the tank. But every fish has it's own personality. I think it would more than likely work out fine :)

EDIT: posted at the same time as narny :P

Thank you sooo much for the info! Is there a way to judge a bettas personality while its still in the store? I'd imagine it would be kind of difficult to tell with them being unhappy in a cup :-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah it is pretty difficult to tell personalities when they're all stressed out at the store. :c The most you'll be able to determine there is their relative health and activity level. Unless they're being kept in proper conditions at the store, that is.

Yeah it is pretty difficult to tell personalities when they're all stressed out at the store. :c The most you'll be able to determine there is their relative health and activity level. Unless they're being kept in proper conditions at the store, that is.

I agree. We brought home two from Petsmart last week. My daughters is super active, constantly in motion. Mine is very still alot of the day with some periods of activity. Same water, same setup. Now treating both for parasites with prazi pro so am hoping mine makes it through. Only had him for a week so my fingers are crossed. Just goes to show you its nearly impossible to tell in those little cups though. They were both active at the store because they had replaced their water that day and so were feeling perky.

This is one circumstance where I'm glad we didn't put both together with a divider because it is so hard to tell if one is sick or not.

Edited by CindiL

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 20 gallon planted betta tank and what i totally recommend is covering the filter intake with some filter mesh so that your betta's fins don't get caught.

And you should also think about having a betta tank with just females because then you don't need a divider, but you could also have a male betta and a couple neon tetras (which i have). Just make sure you don't over feed the betta and give them a varied diet (cause i wouldn't want to eat the same thing every day i don't think the betta would either). And I have an Aqua Clear 50 filter in my tank and it's very quiet and you can adjust the flow so that you're not tossing your betta around in the tank. What i also did to slow down the flow of my filter is to just put some filter mesh right where the flows out so that it pumps/filters the same amount of water just not spiting it out super fast.

But good luck on your tank!!

:D

I just wanted to say that I have the AC30 on my daughter's 10g tank. It's been great. Her betta is bigger then her other one and the current isn't too much for her. She actually likes to play in it. Then she'll go elsewhere when she wants to rest. I bought the bigger filter in case we want to upgrade the tank down the road.

Edited by 4prettyfish