Pearlscale or Telescope?

Jeff99

As you all already see the topic. I want to have another goldfish with the choose of this 2. Pearscale or telescope? I already have 4 goldfish they are 1 ranchu, 2 oranda, and 1 ryukin. I need your help to choose it and I scared the new goldfish will be bullied by the other goldfish, or is there any other option?

Thanks.. :)

This is definitely personal preference.

Keep it in mind that both fish have handicaps that make swimming more difficult. Are these the only breeds you want to pick from?

Also, please only get another fish if you have room for it. Remember stocking. ;)

Keep it in mind that both fish have handicaps that make swimming more difficult. Are these the only breeds you want to pick from?

Also, please only get another fish if you have room for it. Remember stocking. ;)

I do 15 gallons per fish and my tank is a 80 gallons. If I chose the pearlscale, will the other picking on its scale? And if I chose the telescope will the other bullied him? Edited by Jeff99

It is impossible to say if a fish will be bullied. It doesn't matter what breed it is. If a fish wants to pick on it, then a fish will pick on it.

I never had any issues with other fish picking on pearlscales.

I do 15 gallons per fish and my tank is a 80 gallons. If I chose the pearlscale, will the other picking on its scale? And if I chose the telescope will the other bullied him?

I honestly wouldn't worry about the bullying part unless it actually happens. Ashlee18 gave you great insight on that.

My only concern would be their ability to get food. Both types are at a disadvantage in comparison to your current stock. If you have the time to make sure everyone is fed, then go for whichever you like best.

I vote telescope, but that's just from my personal preference :) I added a tele in with my two piggies a few months ago, and thanks to hand-feeding I'm able to make sure everyone gets their fair share of food. Tele is pretty blind, though! He's the smallest of my three, though, and my huge food-mongering ryukin doesn't bully him even at feeding time.

My pearlies are definitely not at a disadvantage at feeding time. They are round and not afraid to push their weight around to get food. My teles have more of a hard time finding food because of their impaired vision, but they can just be trained to be hand fed.

Even with telescopes having a harder time finding food, it depends on the fish. Some of them are surprisingly speedy to find food so as for the bullying and ability to get food before others, you'll only know once you see it for yourself!
I'd personally go with whatever fish "speaks out to you" at the store. :P

Edited by Chai

Yes, I know there are very round. I dont know that the scale wont grow again? I have 2 internal filter that I scared off. Because I see my fish like to play there -_-

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much to add, since you already have gotten some great advice.

When I got my Picasso,a fantail, I went looking for a telescope but fell for him instead. Actually, the same happened when I got Glitch,too.

I do second the hand-feeding. My late tele Johanne was starting to hand feed before he passed. It's a wonderful way to bond and make sure that they get food.

Though the fish may surprise you. I thought my one-eyed Glitch would have problems finding food due to her handicap, but she's always the first one there.