Fantail with Eggs

fantailfan1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:hmm

Look just behind her left gill. I've been looking so closely at her rear that I didn't see that she has about 3 prickly scales just behind that gill and *maybe* a couple very very slightly raised scales on her right side. I had to hold her and kinda tilt her just right to see the ones on the right side. The ones on the left are a litte easier to see . . .

:(

Her shape is a bit weird to me, and I wonder if there is actually something bothering besides eggs...such as impacted eggs and now an internal infection...

Riley is just adorable! :)

I'm on my phone so I can't see the pics well, but if there is some prickly scales beginning it might be a good idea to go ahead and start the MMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Supporter

that all depends, to me, she has features of a Ryukin. that body shape she's displaying is very much how a Ryukin should be. narrow at the front but not pointy and wider at the back..

i support claims re the bits behind the gills and i do not understand if you feel there is swelling, why the fish is not being treated as we normally would, ie,. Epsom salt in the water of her treatment tank?

Epsom salt needs time to draw retained fliud from the body. dips & short term baths with Epsom have never worked very well in my opinion where it concerns drawing retained fluids.

overall, i think she looks quite good. if there is a problem, you have detected it in early stages, which is very good :) i don't believe that she is uneven from what i see in the overhead photos you provided. sometimes, when there is white colouring on the body of if the dorsal is slightly bent to one side, it plays with your eyesight. so i took a ruler to the following photo:

faintailsfish_zps519a8ff8.jpg

because of the flare behind the gill on the left side, i believe that she may be experiencing a mild internal infection. the commencement of antibiotics and only if you think so, the addition of Epsom in the water at our normal recommended dose.

The reason I had done the bath vs adding Epsom to her tank is I thought the swelling was more due to eggs and hoping the Epsom bath would act more as a laxative to help her get rid of the eggs. I didn't notice the few raised scales behind her gill until yesterday after Alex asked for some pics.

I wish I had overhead pics of her from before as I don't think she was as wide near her tail before . . .

Thanks Helen. :)

• Supporter

she could also be growing :) we women and our butts eh? lol..

i am not too concerned from what i see in the photos, but i do believe its a good idea to run her on a short course of antibiotics :)

I've got the MMs all counted out and in a weekly pill box thing for her. :D

She is probably close to 4 years old. Could she be growing still? :idont

Although I'm much older than her and I still seem to grow, especially in the rear. :rofl

Got her started on MMs and added Epsom to her tank. (Day 1 for both for my records. :D )

I don't know if it's good or bad but the left side has more of a dent in it than it did yesterday. It still has the few scales sticking out behind the gills then behind the scales sticking out it goes in a little bit more than yesterday then back out to her fat "butt". I'm telling myself it's the Epsom and MMs working there magic . . . :idont Think positive.

Epsom has been in about 8-9 hours and she's had 6 of her 8 MMs for the day. Still very active and happy to eat. Lots of food colored poo in the QT tank.