Sign in to follow this  
fantailfan1

Fantail with Eggs

My fantail Swimmie dropped about 20-30 eggs last night. I do not think either of the other fish in the tank are males as I haven't seen any chasing. Swimmie has spent much of yesterday and today bottom sitting. She is eating and will rouse and swim around for a while but I think she has more eggs to drop.

Is there something I can do to help her release the rest of her eggs? She looks so uncomfortable. :(

I think hand spawning can get a little dangerous, if not done very carefully. :scared I'm so glad that I have a tank with two boys...

Congrats on your eggs!!! :)

Try an extra water change. Some,times that helps and if it doesn't the it's not hurting anything. ;)

Are you going to keep some eggs and try hatch them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

OK, I'll do a WC.

I'm 99.9% sure they are not fertilized as Peanut is too small and "Bob" hasn't shown any breeding behaviors. Besides they ate most of them. :o

I did see her poo and it was food colored and short . . .

I hope Swimmie is okay. Congrats on the eggs. That must be kind of neat to wake up and see a bunch in your tank. I haven't experienced any of my fish with releasing any eggs yet and to be honest not sure if I want to. I don't have the room to keep any. :(

OK, I'll do a WC.

I'm 99.9% sure they are not fertilized as Peanut is too small and "Bob" hasn't shown any breeding behaviors. Besides they ate most of them. :o

I did see her poo and it was food colored and short . . .

Some people have noticed their fry will show spawning behaviour as early as 6-8mos. Your fish may be small but that doesn't mean it isn't fully matured ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Those eggs need to be Waddlized!

Trust me. Both my kids have suggested it. And they've described what they think the fry would look like. :rofl

Good luck, Lisa. I hope she perks up soon! :)

Swimmie continues to bottom sit. She has not dropped many more eggs. It's been since Wednesday night (4 days) since I first noticed the eggs. Water changes haven't helped her drop the eggs. She still is interested in feeding. I've been feeding lightly a couple times a day.

Suggestions at this point? :idont

:(

If I remember right, "high dose" epsom salt dips/baths can help. I do not exactly remember the dosage I read, but it is much higher than the 1/8tsp per 10g. I actually think it is somewhere around the same dose we use for regular salt, like 0.2% for 30 minutes, every day?

Maybe someone else remembers this better, please? :)

I will see what I can find. I saw on one site (now I don't even remember where) they said to "throw in a handful of Epsom salt into a 10 gallon tank". :o I was hoping to find something a little more specific than that. :idont

Thanks. I'll see what I can find.

Sorry, I can't help Lisa. But i hope Swimmie passes her eggs and finds a virulent male soon :rofl Hopefully, wiggles will be the fishy baby daddy! Lol!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I hope she's ok eventually.

I found a website that says to do 1 TBSP per gallon Epsom salt for 15 minutes daily. It also suggested treatment with Maracyn. (It was a pet site with the person answering having supposedly 20 years of tropical fish experience. The question was regarding a goldfish though . . . :idont )

Thoughts?

I was just cking in to see how Swimmie was doing. Poor thing.

Hope the Epsom salt works if you go try that. I've never had a fish drop eggs or a fish having a hard time.

4 days is a little long, but the bottom sitting could be because of the stress of dropping the eggs. My girls always bottom sit for a little bit after they drop eggs. And it is a good sign that she is still wanting to eat, but I think it would be a good idea to fast her just after she has dropped eggs.

I hope she gets better soon.

Thanks. I hope she's ok eventually.

I found a website that says to do 1 TBSP per gallon Epsom salt for 15 minutes daily. It also suggested treatment with Maracyn. (It was a pet site with the person answering having supposedly 20 years of tropical fish experience. The question was regarding a goldfish though . . . :idont )

Thoughts?

Well, it's definitely worth a try. The dosage here is a bit higher than the one I mentioned, but the bath is shorter, so that sounds about right.

But if I read this right and she 4 days due, that seems a bit long for being egg bound, or not?

Maybe an actual D&D topic would be the better idea; I do not think this topic here gets so much attention. :)

:hi

I just PM'd you, but just so everyone else can see what I said:

Edie was incredibly lethargic and bottom sat pretty much all the time before she dropped eggs (probably a couple week) and during the 1 month period in which Hashi and she spawned several times (they spawned probably 10x in a month but each time was only a small number of eggs, I assumed at the time they were being eaten, but I wonder if these girls who have trouble dropping eggs only do small amounts at a time?)

Right before they spawned for the first time I was about to start MMs because she looked like a sick fish (bottom sitting all the time but would rouse for food, bloated looking, but of course that ended up being eggs). When they spawned I decided not to do MMs, but she continued to act mopey and weird that entire month :idont she eventually went back to her normal self without meds, but she also dropped eggs several more times within this period.

I would definitely try the epsom bath. It certainly couldn't hurt to try. I think it is a difficult decision whether or not to treat with MMs. My experience with Puff has left me slightly quicker to treat than I would have before only because I think I waited too long to begin treatment with him. I guess if it were me and the bottom sitting were continuing without any new sign of eggs being dropped I would try a course of MMs. Have you seen her poo? Does it look like reabsorbed eggs?

Thanks Jess!! :D

Maybe I just need to "borrow" Hashi for a bit? :lol2

Lol. Swimmie will end up tail-less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:o He does like the girls with long tails . . . . :rofl

My Cleo also bottom sits a bit, when it's time for eggs. I catch her early in the morning, when everyone thinks I'm asleep. I hope she feels better soon. :(:hug

Just an update if anyone is following this. :teehee

Both yesterday and today I did a 0.2% Epsom bath for 20 minutes. She handled it just fine both days. I then put her in a 10 gallon so I could better monitor her "output". :rofl

I've fed her lightly--a couple of shrimp pellets twice a day. She has been pooing very light brown/clearish poo but so far nothing major or anything that looks like resorbed eggs. :idont

She is still very active and excited to eat. If it wasn't for her looking so fat I wouldn't be concerned.

I will leave her in her 10 gallon for the rest of the day as I did yesterday. The plan is to do another bath tomorrow and reassess if any further treatment should be done.

:D

How fat is fat? Could you go for a top view pic with your phone tomorrow during the dip?