Leonidis Tumor Removal 31.07.2013 (4th procedure)

Helen

• Supporter

Leonidis has recovered quickly and joined his buddies in the man tank again :) he's continuing to heal. next update will be in a few weeks time, hopefully by then, we might see some tail growth from that section i removed. i am currently hesitant to believe that it will grow back given the amount of flesh i removed, but, i have been very surprised in the past with how a fish just heals itself with nice clean water and even more surprised with regrowth of flesh, scales & fins from injuries & surgical procedures.. so,. i am very eager to see how he does this time around :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

negative, none of the above. he healed well in QT for the time that he was there. now, just natural healing in his usual environment. the only reason why he stayed in QT as long as he did, was for the wounds to heal up enough so that they didn't taste like a snack to his tank mates. he's doing well in the main. we're happy :)

his wounds healed and have formed slimecoat over them. extra QT time is not necessary & the salt from QT has already done it's job well :)

• Supporter

well, it's been 14 days and i am pleased to update that Leonidis is doing exceptionally well :)

he has already shown signs that the tail will grow back, i have snapped a shot displaying the growth:

tailregrowth_zps0a04dbcd.jpg

that is clearly fin growth and i am very happy that currently i don't see tumor regrowth in that spot. if we continue to be tumor free there, we have succeeded in resolving our 3rd tumor. although more are appearing on his body, he continues to remain happy & healthy.

• Supporter

thank you :D

yes, more tumors.. surgeries are about every 4-6 months. they will continue to grow, i don't think they will stop. if i can get them when they're small enough, then perhaps they won't push out scales n grow as that huge one on his left side did. that one pushed out 2 scales and because of the tumor regrowth rate, they have not been able to grow back.

it's not the sugery that bothers me. it's the sedating. you just never know when he's had enough & not going to wake up. that's why one must always never fully sedate if you don't have to. some response from the fish does not mean that he's feeling anything. ie, during this time, he displayed dorsal & pectorial fin flicking, that could very well have been nerves. when fully sedated, you don't get any of that. i am not even sure if when fully sedated their mouth will move like Leonidis' did.

we will see where future procedures take us. i would like to cut deeper than flush into that left tumor next time, should i receive the correct information as well as the full support from my good buddy dnalex, as always.. i won't go it alone! :)

Oh I am glad he is doing so well! And that is crazy how fast the tail has started growing back!

I am so proud of you Helen :D You are so amazing at taking care of your fishy family. You have made me feel comfortable enough to try something like this if the need ever came up for me to do so

• Supporter

Oh I am glad he is doing so well! And that is crazy how fast the tail has started growing back!

I am so proud of you Helen :D You are so amazing at taking care of your fishy family. You have made me feel comfortable enough to try something like this if the need ever came up for me to do so

thank you hun :heart that's exactly why i post stuff like this, to let other members know that if i can do it, anyone can. the first time we did this, i didn't have a dissection kit, just a brand new hobby razor with masking tape on one side.

once i realized all this can be done, (i.e with the sedation turning out well), i ordered my kit and a few other comfort things & i have been well prepared for future surgeries ever since.

It still amazes me every time I see you do this. You are a brave woman! And what a strong fish! Good job Helen :Jig:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Supporter

Where do you get the kit from? and is his behavior normal? Or normal from before the tumors?

the kit i purchased from ebay, searching dissection kits in AU.. his behaviour or health has never changed, always normal & healthy.

It still amazes me every time I see you do this. You are a brave woman! And what a strong fish! Good job Helen :Jig:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

thank you sweetie :bighug

• 6 months later...

dear eleni,

i'm only halfway through this procedure (#4) and i just keep saying to myself: i can't believe you did this without an assistant! i can't believe you did this without an assistant!

it's just beautiful. what beautiful, brave, loving work.

deep respect,

xristina

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporter

dear eleni,

i'm only halfway through this procedure (#4) and i just keep saying to myself: i can't believe you did this without an assistant! i can't believe you did this without an assistant!

it's just beautiful. what beautiful, brave, loving work.

deep respect,

xristina

thanks hun :)

i didn't do it without an assistant. well, perhaps this time around which was his last surgery. but all other times i had Alex on FB almost the whole time. it helps when you're in the company of someone who understands these things. talking through issues when they happen (and there were a few scary moments) is plenty for me to keep going. it also helped that Leonidis was a strong fish. on his second or third surgery, he bled out quite a bit until i became desperate and superglued the incision closed. i had changed the water 3 times after that surgery and all 3 times the water (10 gallons) was quick to be heavily blood stained.

i really believe that the fact he was so healthy all 4 times is the reason behind him bouncing back so well after each procedure.

the community spirit at kokos is truly amazing... friends made are friends forever :heart

:heart leonidis.

and for you, too.

it's really beautifully done, helen.

now i want to go back and watch the first three… my heart starts pounding when you describe the scary moments, but that's part of it all, isn't it? and to have alex alongside via fb is extraordinary. i think it's actually going through ordeals together that make for such true, forever friends.

thank you again, for bringing the rest of us into your home and sharing so much of your experience with us.

xo