Leonidis Tumor Removal 31.07.2013 (4th procedure)

Helen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Helen, this is amazing! I’ve had to take a few very small (compared to body size) surface bumps off of koi before and it’s terrifying. Such big lumps (like that big body one!) on a fish would probably terrify me waaay too much to even try! Especially such deep ones! :yikes

• Supporter

He looks great!! He is lucky to have a fish mama like you. :hug

thank you Mikey :)

:thud

Wow. Just wow. :clapping:

:D :D

Absolutely wonderful, Helen. :hug You are such a brave woman and you've got such a great fighter of a fish!

thank you hun, i fear every time he needs to be sedated, but he bounces back really well. this time around i got the clove oil mix well and he was ready to operate in just under 7 mins :) he's a strong boy :wub:

WOW you are brave! I wouldn't have the cahones to do that. How stressful it must have been. Good job! Is it common for fish to get tumors?

thanks :) i didn't have the 'cahones' to do it either at first. Alex beat me with the koko stick :rofl all jokes aside, he was there for us first & second time around, even the third., right by my cyber side :) there are 3 very important things to remember if ever anyone feels the need to try it, 1. get your clove oil mixture right, 2. flush the gills frequently! 3. rehearse! make sure that you go over and over in your mind before you sedate, exactly what it is that you're about to do. be sure to rehearse possible problems and be sure to have the stuff you need in case they happen. if ever in doubt, or in need of moral support, post a thread, we're always here :)

• Supporter

You are amazing !!!!! :o

What you have learned to do to care for your fish and he is an amazing fish !!! To look at him you would have no idea what he has just been through.

What a team!!! :clapping:

thank you! :D you know, i look back on the videos frequently. i have to say that sometimes, i can't even believe that the person doing this is me. never in my life did i expect to be doing fish surgery :blink:

:rofl :rofl

You are amazing !!!!! :o

What you have learned to do to care for your fish and he is an amazing fish !!! To look at him you would have no idea what he has just been through.

What a team!!! :clapping:

I know right!? Just incredible!

:heart:bighug

Amazing Job, Helen :) I really admire your dedication and courage!

thank you #2 and thanks for the little pep talk before the surgery :)

Nice follow up video on him! Great to see he is doing so well! I wish you were closer when it is time to chop around on Hugo, because I sure as hell will be freaked out if I have to do this :yikes

sweeite, i am really confident that if you needed to, you would :heart . if i can do it, anyone can.. you will just need larger handled tools :o:donthit:

:rofl :rofl

• Supporter

I'm sure you will do well, Fang, and if necessary, just have Dr. H on Skype! :D

haha! Dr. H LOLOLOL :rofl

Helen, this is amazing! I’ve had to take a few very small (compared to body size) surface bumps off of koi before and it’s terrifying. Such big lumps (like that big body one!) on a fish would probably terrify me waaay too much to even try! Especially such deep ones! :yikes

thank you Amber! my next "want to try" is actually getting below the surface and seeing if i can actually remove that side tumor to the flesh & a little more. it really is on the biggest 'fatty' part of his body under the Lateral Line. ... but i am too much of a wuss i think! :rofl

You're very brave! :)

thank you Jeff :bighug

• Helper

Wow! That was amazing, I don't know if I could bring myself to do something like that, I get scared enough medicating thinking I'm going to mess something up, I think I'd be a wreck with the sedating and cutting! You are awesome, It was very interesting to watch and I'm glad he is recovering well!

That was remarkable Helen. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and video with all of us. Leonidis is one lucky fish having you as his owner. I knew he was a big fish but didn't know he was that big. He's beautiful. I hope he continues doing well.

• Supporter

WOW you are brave! I wouldn't have the cahones to do that. How stressful it must have been. Good job! Is it common for fish to get tumors?

i missed answering your question about the tumors. tumors are not uncommon and unfortunately we're seeing it more and more as the quality of breeding worsens. the more we 'inbreed' the more problems are introduced to the health of the fish.

Wow! That was amazing, I don't know if I could bring myself to do something like that, I get scared enough medicating thinking I'm going to mess something up, I think I'd be a wreck with the sedating and cutting! You are awesome, It was very interesting to watch and I'm glad he is recovering well!

thank you Mandy :)

Wow Helen! You truly are a goldfish superstar! :thumbs: I really don't know how you manage to do it. I'd be a total wreck!

What a handsome fishy, he is very lucky to have you. :heart

thank you hun :heart missed seeing you around, hope all is well :bighug

By the Trident of God Poseidon, you are the incarnation of Asclepios!

That's simply GREAT!

:D thank you for your lovely compliments :heart

That was remarkable Helen. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and video with all of us. Leonidis is one lucky fish having you as his owner. I knew he was a big fish but didn't know he was that big. He's beautiful. I hope he continues doing well.

thank you Cheryl :) Leonidis weighs 228 kilograms :o

thank you Cheryl :) Leonidis weighs 228 kilograms :o

*cough* I think you mean 228 grams :P

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Cheryl: 1; Helen: 0

Imagine a 228 kilogram goldfish :yikes:rofl

Wow I just watched all three videos..so informative and good to see his recovery. Please continue to post updates :) Also why do you think he developed tumors? I've been researching health in humans and have opinions about that, but fish?

Wow I just watched all three videos..so informative and good to see his recovery. Please continue to post updates :) Also why do you think he developed tumors? I've been researching health in humans and have opinions about that, but fish?

Fish and humans are not so different in this regard. Cell death, proliferation and tissue maintenance are very tightly regulated processes, and events that can cause dysregulations in these processes can ultimately lead to tumor formation. In a number of cases, viral infections can lead to tumors, in both humans and fish, and other animals.

Fish and humans are not so different in this regard. Cell death, proliferation and tissue maintenance are very tightly regulated processes, and events that can cause dysregulations in these processes can ultimately lead to tumor formation. In a number of cases, viral infections can lead to tumors, in both humans and fish, and other animals.

What I've been finding is that diet (and other environmental toxins..anything from pollution to the lotion and shampoo we use) is a major cause in making the body toxic, thereby causing cancers etc. Those who are following non gmo, organic, even raw diets are reversing these effects. That is the gist of it.. and so I was thinking maybe feeding fish as natural a diet as possible might be a way to prevent tumors..then again we're adding Prime and what not...ughh.. haha well just got me thinking.

Surely diet can play a role, but I don't know that those who are following gmo, organic, or even raw diets are reversing the effects. These sorts of studies take years to get to the proper conclusion, and I don't think there is enough data out there yet. Don't forget that there are things much bigger than diets, such as genetic predisposition, and living longer.

Having said that, please don't think that I am discouraging anyone from going natural, be it humans or fish. In the case of goldfish, this would be 60% brown algae, 20% green algae, and 15 animal matters.

As for using Prime or any of these chemical water conditioners...you don't have to use it. Just age your water for at least 24 hours with an airstone, and you should be good to go, unless your water utility uses chloramines instead of chlorines.

Surely diet can play a role, but I don't know that those who are following gmo, organic, or even raw diets are reversing the effects. These sorts of studies take years to get to the proper conclusion, and I don't think there is enough data out there yet. Don't forget that there are things much bigger than diets, such as genetic predisposition, and living longer.

Having said that, please don't think that I am discouraging anyone from going natural, be it humans or fish. In the case of goldfish, this would be 60% brown algae, 20% green algae, and 15 animal matters.

As for using Prime or any of these chemical water conditioners...you don't have to use it. Just age your water for at least 24 hours with an airstone, and you should be good to go, unless your water utility uses chloramines instead of chlorines.

Well don't want to go off topic about humans here, it's a lot of info. My water unfortunately has chloramines.. but thats ok, its impossible to be a .. "purist" even if we try. Just make the best choices we can for ourselves and fishies <3 I did feel gross drinking something that cant keep fish alive though..ugh.