Sign in to follow this  
Orandafish

Nitrate poisoning?

Feel his belly for me, please, as well as check the vent and gills. Is the vent showing any signs of inflammation? Are the gills a healthy red?

How many days has he not eaten?

I checked. His belly is firm but not bloated. His gills are pink. He has not eaten in 3 days. I see no visible signs of distress. Would methyline blue help him breathe? I'm worried about him not eating. I don't want him to starve to death. I put three sinking pellets in the tub in front of his face and he did not react. If he does not eat them soon, I will remove them. I'm wondering if he will react diffently to his favorite... peas.

You could try peas, if you like, but I think he will be OK for a couple more days without food.

The methylene blue wouldn't do anything to help his breathing, and from your description, I don't know that he's in some sort of oxygen deprivation state. If need be, we can artificially raise the oxygen levels in the tank by adding hydrogen peroxide, but that is not something that appears to be needful or helpful at the moment.

Unfortunately, it just seems to me that the best thing we can do for him right now is to let him try to recover with clean water. I don't think we should do more.

Sharon, any thoughts?

I'm heading out the door for the day. I will let him rest in his clean water an check on him tonight. Thanks to all who have offered support and advice. I'm delighted to have knowledgable people who care helping him.

I will be in the area of some pet stores today if there is any type of items you think I should pick up that could assist, please post it and I will try to check the messages on my phone.

Thank you again!

I talked to a man today who recently opened up a business setting up and maintaining salt water aquariums in people's homes and businesses. As soon as I told him where I live, he asked if I had trouble keeping nitrates under control. I told him what I was going through with my tank and Shane. He said he cannot keep nitrates under control in his customer's tanks in my town. Our city water is NASTY. I will not drink it, unfiltered. We came to the conclusion, the problem is starting with the municipal water, plus the challenge of keeping goldie water clean. He was NOT a goldfish lover AT ALL. When I told him what I was doing to try to save Shane, he said "No offense, but I wouldn't go to the bother for just a cheap goldfish". I gently but firmly reminded him that not all goldfish are 28 cent feeder fish, and even if they were, their life was still worth something to me. We agreed to disagree.

:no: Frustrating. He is a gorgeous fish and well worth the effort. :hug

I'm sorry for that man. Valuing something based on how much it costs is one way of doing things, I suppose, although that's a rather poor way in my mind.

Hang in there!

Shane update........ He willingly lets me pick him up to put him into the next tub. That tells me how week he is. Normally holding Shane was like holding a bull. He has (had) amazing strength for a little fish. He would not eat the pea I gave him last night. He's still on his side, not moving.

Clean water isn't doing it, and it doesn't look good. Alex, what about an antibiotic bath? I have had some luck with Maracyn, which is available in any pet store.

From what I have heard, that is useless, but Alex would know.

I wouldn't medicate at this point. He seems far too weak and is fear anything would push him over the edge. Fingers crossed he pulls through.

Clean water isn't doing it, and it doesn't look good. Alex, what about an antibiotic bath? I have had some luck with Maracyn, which is available in any pet store.

Orandafish,

I agree with Sharon. He isn't showing any improvements, and at this point we have two options. We can continue as we do, hoping for a turn around at some point, or we can be a little more aggressive and try an antibiotic bath, knowing that he might not be able to handle it but not doing anyway may lead to the same result.

Let me know what you think and I will continue to assist. I'm sorry. It is a rough decision. :(

I'm at work right now. I don't get off until very late. I don't remember Walmart carrying Maracyn (or any other decent fish supplies). Unless it's something they carry, I won't be able to go to the pet store and get meds until before work tomorrow, then actually administer the meds late tomorrow night (midnight) when I get home. There are no pet stores in my town. Just in the town where I work, 30 minutes away. When I left today, he was still pretty much motionless, but he did wriggle a little for me. He is still on his side though. If I saw his eyes darting around or his gills moving rapidly I would have probably euthanized him this morning, but he seems peaceful, almost comatose. He "waves" his pectoral fin around, but that's about it.

BTW dnalex, LUUUUUUUV your quote

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. (Dante Alighieri)"

Shane update: I quickly ran into the pet store on my way to work yesterday and bought a package of Maracin. I thought Maracin 2 might be a better choice, but they only had Maracin. I dosed him last night before bed. This morning, he is still on the bottom, on his side. However, he did react to me putting my finger in front of his face. He struggled but swam backwards to get away from me. I tried to pick him up and he put up a small fight but quickly exhausted himself. I tried to give him another pea, but he still won't eat. He had a bowel movement. It was quite thin and long.

The Maracin is supposed to be administered once a day for 5 days. I've been putting him into a fresh tub of water every day. Would it dilute the benefits of the meds to do that? I'm trying to determine if I just need to leave him in one tub for 5 days while he's being medicated. If so, I would assume I need a fiter set up. Suggestions?

JOY! Before I clcked "Post" on this message, I checked on him again. He ATE 4 pellets of New Life Spectrum food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dropped the pellets one by one into the water and they drifted down by his face and he ate them!!!!! I've never been so happy to see a fish eat!

I've never been able to figure out those instructions, maybe Alex knows. Why don't you call the customer service number on the package and ask? Maracyn doesn't kill the biobugs, so you can use a filter. (Maracyn 2 kills them.) I have done 100% water changes daily when I've used it, but maybe you are supposed to build up the concentration by adding more each day to the same water.

No, please just add the meds to the new aged water each day. I don't remember that Maracyn/erythromycin decays that quickly, and those instructions have always puzzled me.

I'm glad he is showing some signs of improvements! May these continue! :D

Best of luck with your lil' buddy. He's a beautiful fish.

Update...... Shane is still not swimming. He still just rests on side side on the bottom of the tub. I am still switching him into a clean tub daily. He will eat if I put food directly in front of his face and he sucks it in. He is having normal looking bowel movements. I only have two doses of antibiotics left. I am at a total loss for a cure for his lack of mobility. It may be time to send him to the big pond in the sky. Sigh!

Maybe he is depressed would putting him back with his friend when the meds run out hurt anything?

I'm sorry :(

Update us in two days, please.

After a soak in some clove oil water, followed by some vodka, my big blue boy is no longer suffering. He went peacefully. This is the part where I wish I was like those people who could care less about a goldfish's life. To hurt this bad over losing a fish just doens't seem like something I'm supposed to be feeling. I know my coworkers and even the pharmacist where I bought the clove oil think I've lost my dammed mind doing so much to save "just a fish". I'm going to miss Shane. This fall I'll start searching for another blue or white oranda to fill the tank. It looks so bare without him. Rest in peace, Shane.

I want to thank all who helped me in this journey. I appreciate all the comments, support and advice. I'm glad this forum exists.

I'm so very sorry, and wish there had been a happier outcome. :(

RIP

After a soak in some clove oil water, followed by some vodka, my big blue boy is no longer suffering. He went peacefully. This is the part where I wish I was like those people who could care less about a goldfish's life. To hurt this bad over losing a fish just doens't seem like something I'm supposed to be feeling. I know my coworkers and even the pharmacist where I bought the clove oil think I've lost my dammed mind doing so much to save "just a fish". I'm going to miss Shane. This fall I'll start searching for another blue or white oranda to fill the tank. It looks so bare without him. Rest in peace, Shane.

I want to thank all who helped me in this journey. I appreciate all the comments, support and advice. I'm glad this forum exists.

I am sorry :( I have just read this thread and like others, hoped to read a more favourable ending. RIP big blue boy & cyberhugs to you :(

I just wanted to advise, there is no need for vodka to euth a fish. I hope that you never need to euth a fish again, but if you do, please only use clove oil. once asleep, double dose the clove oil and that will peacefully euth the fish. we've since learned that vodka can burn the gills.