How do you go about hand feeding?

AnnaMNR

Do you buy tongs or hold the food in your hand or what? My celestial doesn't get his fair share because the others gobble it up before he realizes it's there.

I was working on getting Johanne to handfeed before he passed. I just held my fingers in the water with the food pinched between them. I started by dropping the food when he looked in the right direction, then every couple days made him start coming closer before dropping it.

I've been using tweezers to feed mine because it's a lot easier to put the food close to them...with peas I just drop the nibblet when they're looking, but with bloodworms they'll come grab the worm out of the tweezers. I plan on graduating to hand feeding when their food isn't in such tiny pieces...

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103326-training-fish-to-eat-from-your-hand-video/

Here's a video that was posted. :)

I was working on getting Johanne to handfeed before he passed. I just held my fingers in the water with the food pinched between them. I started by dropping the food when he looked in the right direction, then every couple days made him start coming closer before dropping it.

Thank you!

I've been using tweezers to feed mine because it's a lot easier to put the food close to them...with peas I just drop the nibblet when they're looking, but with bloodworms they'll come grab the worm out of the tweezers. I plan on graduating to hand feeding when their food isn't in such tiny pieces...

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/103326-training-fish-to-eat-from-your-hand-video/

Here's a video that was posted. :)

That video was very helpful! Thanks for the help!

I learned from Solid Gold's video! You just have to be consistent and feed them by hand everyday. My goldie was shy at first but now she nibbles on my hand every time I put my hand in the aquarium :heart

Edited by Ele

• Supporter

I learned from Solid Gold's video! You just have to be consistent and feed them by hand everyday. My goldie was shy at first but now she nibbles on my hand every time I put my hand in the aquarium :heart

I followed her directions two and it totally worked! She is awesome. The only thing is that now every time I put my hand in there to clean gravel or move rocks around, they swarm on me! I'd like to think of it as goldfish kisses but they are really just little piggies!

Personally, my fish True Gold just decided one day to eat my hands. *lmao*. That's how I started feeding hands. I mean, hand feeding. ;) I was cleaning the sides of the tank with a short brush so my arm was all the way in the tank and he was suddenly up in my business chewing on me! xD

So after that I just started holding pinches of food in my fingers and waiting around for a few minutes till he decided I was sitting still enough to come up and peck the food out of my fingers. :)

I got Edie to eat from my hand but didn't really train her to do it, she just got used to me and did it herself, since Heidi thinks that's normal now she's started having a nibble too, but when I feed Edie she seems to bite me more than the food :P I'd agree with everyone in saying let the fish get used to you and encourage it to come closer little by little, good luck!