Sign in to follow this  
LabRat99

Moor without telescope eyes

I recently bought a few new goldfish and one of them is a very nice looking small Moor that has regular eyes. I know that the eyes are a defining characteristic of Moors, but I've never been a fan of telescope eyes. When I spotted this little guy at the local Petsmart I had to have him. He's very small, maybe an inch and a half total but he's got a very good shape, matte black coloring, a high dorsal fin, broadtailed, and no telescope eyes.

Anybody else ever raised a Moor that didn't have the telescope eyes?

Could you post a pic? Sounds like it could be a black fantail? Or perhaps a moor that just hasn't fully developed his eyes yet? (Although I think this happens pretty young)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am guessing that you are calling the fish a moor because of the black coloring.

In this case, said black goldfish would simple be a black fantail, or a black ryukin, depending on its other characteristics. :)

A photo is definitely a good idea. I have seen baby moors at my Petsmart that didn't have the eyes developed yet. I believe these start showing at anywhere between 3 and 6 months of age. The size you describe, I'd say the fish is in the lower area of that age range and may still develop the typical protruding eyes.

Either way, sounds like a cutie!

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I got two from the same store and the fish guy there said for the most part they are a;; kind of cross breeds because they get them from lower quality breeders. One of my new mores has a huge ryukin hump but the rest of him looks like a moor. Regardless, I heart them and will take the best care of them even if they are not pure breeds! I agree. pictures please!

I uploaded some pics to my Picasa acct today.

DSC_0047.JPG

Not the best view of him, but at least I figured out how to post a pic!

One more, not the best photo but it shows his lack of telescope eyes.

DSC_0060.JPG

Definitely a telescope.

I believe that Fang and tithra are correct. The telescope eyes are just developing, and will get bigger.

Tele eyes grow all their lives. :)

Definitely a telescope.

I believe that Fang and tithra are correct. The telescope eyes are just developing, and will get bigger.

Tele eyes grow all their lives. :)

You might be right. We'll know in a few months one way or the other. He might just be behind in the eye development department.

cute fish!! & don't worry, i used to dislike telescopes too.. ooooh how they grow on you :heart

cute fish!! & don't worry, i used to dislike telescopes too.. ooooh how they grow on you :heart

Me as well at first I was like that lools painful and I don't like it. Then later I though there not bad now I have one and love him lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Me as well at first I was like that lools painful and I don't like it. Then later I though there not bad now I have one and love him lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You like those bulbous things, do you? :rofl :rofl :rofl

Your little fish reminds me of mine when we bought ours a year ago this month. He was about 1inch to 1 1/2 inch in total length. Ours didn't have big bug eyes at all but over time they obviously started to look like tele's. In time your fish will too. :) He/she is a cutie.

The eyes aren't a deal-breaker for me. If he ends up with telescope eyes that will be alright too. I was looking to buy a moor when I found him. I've just never seen one with normal eyes before, even at that size they are telescoped. I think he's got the potential to be a really nice fish. He's got a broad tail and nice high dorsal fin. Those are desirable traits in a moor, along with the matte coloring.

I'll try again to shoot some better pics of him for you guys sometime over the weekend.

Edited by LabRat99

As others pointed out already, this fish will grow telescope eyes. You can already see them slightly coming out.

I do have to say though that this is probably the most beautiful baby moor I have ever seen. The fins are incredible, and he is of such nice velvety color! I am jealous :D

when I saw the first pic he reminded me of my first moor just little bitty eyes but they did grow and your guys will too ;) and I'm sure he and his eyes will grow on you too ;) lol congrats on your new addition, I was thinking you needed a telescope eyed fish to round out your crew ;) lol

Aww, he's very cute! Maybe his eyes will be a little smaller than some because he's starting late. :)

Petsmart has some incredibly surprising finds sometimes, this being one of them! :heart

Petsmart has some incredibly surprising finds sometimes, this being one of them! :heart

Yep, I agree. I know the kids at the local Petsmart and Petco must think I'm a little off. If I'm looking to add to my fish collection, I might stand there and stare at a tank of goldfish for thirty minutes before I pick one. Nine times out of ten I'll look for ten or fifteen minutes and not get anything. I figure that I'm limited in how many I can raise, so I'm gonna try to get the fish that has the most potential to be nice looking when grown.

Thanks for the compliment about the little moor. I think I'm gonna call him "Norman".

oooh! i love the name "Norman" good choice! :D

Super cute, tiny lil eyes hehe! Almost looks like a butterfly like tail too!

What a cutie!

I like the name Norman also.

I bet your not the only one that stares at the fish for a long time then leaves empty handed. Just last weekend I kept looking at one for at least 15 minutes to only go back and look at her/him for another 5 minutes or longer. I ended up leaving the fish in the tank. I've been considering going back to see her again and................... .

Norman looks awesome. Cool looking find. Great name too. If he turns out to be a girl, you can just say he's dressing as his mother like Norman Bates. Lol. Yeah, I've watched to many movies in my life... :P