Sign in to follow this  
Plecco

My aquaclear filters aren't cutting it

Stumbled upon this thread as yet another AquaClear owner and was shocked to read what the OP was experiencing with his (what should be) sufficient filtration -- I agree that the water change schedule MUST be bumped up when dealing with goldfish. I do a weekly 50% on my 60 gallon and give my guys a mid-week 15-20 gallon exchange for added health...further, I'm running an AquaClear 110 and Aqueon QuietFlow 55 on my 60 gallon and my water is pretty pristine, always, with the "standard" media I have in both filters (I recently added a 100ml pouch of Purigen to the AquaClear for further polishing). Your (the OP) tank shouldn't be that murky and disgusting, at all -- start rinsing off the sponge in the AquaClears, as suggested, in REMOVED TANK WATER and add some more media elements like Seachem's Purigen (also as suggested I believe)...don't let those sponges get so nasty they rise up in the basket/chambers. I rinse and squeeze mine out every month (or less) or so, as it doesn't really get that filthy due to my water change schedule...

The carbon cartridges my AQUEON takes, now that's another story...I still don't know how to stagger/clean those...

I use the Rite Size Blue filter pads in my Aqueons rather than the cartridges. I just cut a piece and fit it inside the blue holster. It works well and is much cheaper. But I don't use carbon.

Stumbled upon this thread as yet another AquaClear owner and was shocked to read what the OP was experiencing with his (what should be) sufficient filtration -- I agree that the water change schedule MUST be bumped up when dealing with goldfish. I do a weekly 50% on my 60 gallon and give my guys a mid-week 15-20 gallon exchange for added health...further, I'm running an AquaClear 110 and Aqueon QuietFlow 55 on my 60 gallon and my water is pretty pristine, always, with the "standard" media I have in both filters (I recently added a 100ml pouch of Purigen to the AquaClear for further polishing). Your (the OP) tank shouldn't be that murky and disgusting, at all -- start rinsing off the sponge in the AquaClears, as suggested, in REMOVED TANK WATER and add some more media elements like Seachem's Purigen (also as suggested I believe)...don't let those sponges get so nasty they rise up in the basket/chambers. I rinse and squeeze mine out every month (or less) or so, as it doesn't really get that filthy due to my water change schedule...

The carbon cartridges my AQUEON takes, now that's another story...I still don't know how to stagger/clean those...

I use the Rite Size Blue filter pads in my Aqueons rather than the cartridges. I just cut a piece and fit it inside the blue holster. It works well and is much cheaper. But I don't use carbon.

Hey J!

Thanks again for your assistance; indeed, this sounds like what I may have to start doing...can you provide some pictures of what these look like (the Rite Size pads) in your Aqueons? Where can I pick some up? You just run the pads inside the blue bio-holsters..nothing more?

Hey J!

Thanks again for your assistance; indeed, this sounds like what I may have to start doing...can you provide some pictures of what these look like (the Rite Size pads) in your Aqueons? Where can I pick some up? You just run the pads inside the blue bio-holsters..nothing more?

Hey J!

Yes, those cartridges are a total scam...lol! Petco has the Rite Size. Here are some pics of mine:

IMG_20130801_190423_445-1.jpg

IMG_20130801_190700_421-1.jpg

IMG_20130801_190710_723-1.jpg

Edited by jmetzger72

Thanks alot!

Now, with cutting these to fit in the Aqueons, how often do they need to be "changed"? Or do you regularly rinse them off in removed tank water? Do they trap a lot of debris?

Thanks alot!

Now, with cutting these to fit in the Aqueons, how often do they need to be "changed"? Or do you regularly rinse them off in removed tank water? Do they trap a lot of debris?

I usually just rinse them out in tank water. They seem to do the job for me. I mainly use the Aqueons in my QT tanks. But, even if you have to replace them, it's still much cheaper than the cartridges. I think that whole huge package is like $6.

Another thing you can do (that I do anyways) with the aqueons is ditch the bio-holster and then right in front of the rite size padding (before the water enters the tank again) you will be able to fit some biomax. I have two packs of the 30size biomax in each of my aqueons for biological filtration. If I get the urge I usually can squeeze a bag of carbon down there too.

I find I have to toss my blue rite size pad every 3-5 weeks or so because they don't stand up too well after they've been squeezed out a bunch. They catch a ton of debris by the way. :)

Edited by CindiL

If I avow to change more water more frequently and remove some gravel and remove my driftwood -

Can I please get recommendations in easy to service non clogging bio media/filter combos?

I'm pretty well resolved on ditching these aquaclears.

I bought them used from a seller who had them on his salt tank. They looked almost new and claimed to be 8 mos old.

1 had a noisy impeller so I got 2 new ones, dabbed em with Vaseline and reassembled.

One was quiet, the other slightly noisy.

3 months later I scrubbed and reassembled again with petroleum jelly and they have been progressively clacking away ever since.

Yesterday I rebuilt them and when I came home the tanks looked much better. Then hours later one then the other started clacking away. :(

I've had them in the past and same issues repeatedly... Quieter with covers off even new? Ill pass!!

So can I PLEASE get a recommendation on an easy to service filter and media combo that is least likely to clog? I don't need sparkling polished water- just relatively clear.

Thanks!

Ordered an eheim 2217. I'm familiar with it and its bulletproof- just a pain to prime when I strip and clean the hoses.

Thanks all for helping me dial in my set-up.

Another thing you can do (that I do anyways) with the aqueons is ditch the bio-holster and then right in front of the rite size padding (before the water enters the tank again) you will be able to fit some biomax. I have two packs of the 30size biomax in each of my aqueons for biological filtration. If I get the urge I usually can squeeze a bag of carbon down there too.
I find I have to toss my blue rite size pad every 3-5 weeks or so because they don't stand up too well after they've been squeezed out a bunch. They catch a ton of debris by the way.

Thanks for the tip -- I was considering getting Bio Max and throwing it into the Aqueon to kind of make it into an AquaClear; right now, I just don't know what to do because the cartridges from the Aqueon are getting kind of yucky and really brown, even with dunking in removed tank water, but I don't know if this is beneficial bacteria buildup or waste...

My 55 has been set up for 3 week's and IM using 2 55/75 Aqueon Filter's. I have a buble bar in the middle. My tank is crystal clear.

Heidi -- Do you have any current pics of your tank with the 55/75s running AND the bubble bar in the middle?

I know I promised you pics of my tank; my wife attempted to take some the other night, but the fish were in a feeding frenzy and the shots came out kind of blurry...she's gonna attempt again...