Hikari FD Ocean Plankton

Janizary

Does anyone feed this to their fishies? It has a higher protein, fat percentage than any other freeze dried food on Hikari's line up (tubiflex, bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia). Not sure if this is necessarily good or not. It also states that it has reduced sodium content. Is it safe for goldfish?

It is advised not to feed freeze dried food to goldfish. Because it floats, it could create and/or exacerbate swim bladder issues. When you soak them to make them sink, you're losing nutrients in the food.

If you want good, safe, irresistible proteins for your fish you could buy frozen bloodworms. :)

Edited by ChelseaM

Does anyone feed this to their fishies? It has a higher protein, fat percentage than any other freeze dried food on Hikari's line up (tubiflex, bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia). Not sure if this is necessarily good or not. It also states that it has reduced sodium content. Is it safe for goldfish?

Too much fat is actually very bad for goldfish, as the fat can cause all sorts of problems, such as fatty livers, or coating internal organs. I think for something like this, you can definitely use as treats, though. I feed my goldfish frozen krill, which are also pretty high in proteins. They love it. :)

Freeze dried is very bad for goldfish, especially the fancy variety. This is because freeze dried food will rehydrate, and expand as it rehydrates. In a compacted fish, this process can cause constipation and other digestive issues. I would go with frozen.