• * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.25
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5
  • * Ph Level, Tank 7.6
  • *High Ph level, Tank 8.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap 7.6
  • *High Ph level, Tap 7.4
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Freshwater Master Kit
    • * Water temperature? Not sure, but room temp presume.
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallons
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? I have two First Choice internal power filter.
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? 75% w/c weekly
    • How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Friday
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, at 3 inches each.
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Saki Hikari Fancy Goldfish (Purple bag)
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
    • * Any medications added to the tank? No
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
    • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

The problem I am experiencing is that my fish are floating at the top of my tank.

One significantly more then the other.

To be more specific, the one can't swim down from the top for long where as the other can easily swim to the bottom of the tank.

They both stay at the top and it looks like they are gulping air for a good part of the day.

This behavior happens within a half hour to an hour after feeding them (which I do once a day).

This behavior has increased since I began feeding them more in the last two days...I was beginning to think they were not getting enough food.

I had been feeding them originally 2 pellets each a day, and within the last two days, I bumped it up to 4-6/day.

Truth be told, a local pet store worker said I was severely under feeding them and should double the amount.

By the following morning, both fish are doing quite fine and have no floating/buoyancy issues.

I don't know what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I tried to add a video, but can't seem to make it work...I think.

Hope someone can help.

th_FishVideo_zps536f006a.jpg

This seems unusual that nobody has responded to your concern yet. Your thread must have been sadly over looked by mistake/just not seen. Your Video Is Working Though. :)

I'm not a mod and hopefully someone will see this and give you proper care/instructions. I'm not sure, but I'd almost do a big 80% WC to get your nitrates down and possibly double dose with prime. Wait for a Mod though please.

Is your 20g tank a qt tank or their permanent home? If it's there permanent home it's considered overcrowded with your two fish. Can you upgrade your tank?

Are your fish 3 inches in total, each? I would think that a couple of pellets were not enough food for them also. I'm glad your giving them more.

Thanks for responding...I was hoping a moderator would be able to give some advice.

Maybe I'm not too high on the priority right now?

I do want to upgrade them to a new tank soon, but for now, this will have to do.

How long have you had these fish? I see you haven't treated them for anything before. Did they both come from the same source?

A quick google search doesn't give the be brand 'first choice' for internal power filters. Can you let us know the gph of them and what media you have in there?

The above questions pertain to keeping the environment safe while you wait for an upgrade to take place.

Can you fast the fish for 2 days and then feed only blanched kale or shelled peas? This will help us determine.

Get a scale if you can so that you can weigh your fish, this is the best way to determine if you are over or underfeeding food. :)

I think you need to change your food. While many fish do well on the purple bag of Hikari, some, including some of mine in the past, floated like they were inflated with helium after this food. Seeing that there is such a strong correlation between the floaty behavior and this food, it's time to change.

If you want to stay with the Hikari line, get Hikari Lionhead.

As for the thread being neglected, it wasn't. Sadly, we mods have other duties in life to attend to, and sometimes it takes a little bit of time to respond. I still think we are doing pretty well, having responded in less than 24 hours, no? :)

Both fish were bought from the same source, and purchased approx. mid Feb.

Filter gives out 90 gph, and I have two running at the same time.

The media is a filter cartridge.

Name of the system is actually Great Choice, I wrought it incorrectly up top.

I didn't say neglected, I said 'low priority'.

I understand that there are others besides me with more important issues, and I wasn't upset.

I also realize you guys are doing this voluntarily, so I appreciate that as well.

I'll try some other foods/ veggies and see if I can figure out what works.

Thanks for the advice Alex/bodoba.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

The white and red one is a tank, and seems to be fine.

The orange one looked well the next day (like always), but I fasted them for a few days...until Saturday.

Fed them some sinking pellets I had when first buying my fish (Tetra brand, I think).

Both seemed pretty well after, and not really much of a floating issue.

I guess the cheaper food was more agreeable with them then the Hikari I had...Why eat steak when you can have burgers?...go figure.

I also changed the feeding habit; giving them a lump amount that sunk to the bottom (4-5 each) and let them hunt for it.

Probably best they don't hang around up top waiting for me to feed them one at a time, while gulping air.

Gave a bit of spinach and the orange one started floating again...maybe too much food in one day, so I'll stick with the cheap-and-cheerful pellets and see how it goes.

Thanks for asking.

Hi Mike,

I'm glad that things seem to be better now that you've removed the Saki. I just wanted to offer a bit of an explanation why the premium food might have been problematic.

As you know, the Saki contains probiotics, live bacteria that are supposed to help with digestion and immune functions. Unfortunately, sometimes this can be too much of a good thing, and it ends up being more of a problem. The same thing sometimes can happen with another food that contains probiotics, pro-gold.

If the floating happens again, would adding salt to the tank be an option?

Also, are the tanks nitrate and ph level too high?...is it a connection to the floating?

Nitrates and pH are fine, although of course keeping nitrates as close to zero as possible is always the best thing to do.

Adding salt isn't going to help with the floatiness.

From what I've read so far from you, it does seem to be that way. :)

Always good to hear, in particular from someone who knows more then me...which is probably everyone who owns a fish.

Appreciate it Alex.

Just an update.

The orange fish that has had the floating issue is better ever since I have changed the food.

It can now swim to the bottom and hunt for any pellets that were missed during feeding time.

It still takes effort to swim/stay down at the bottom, and floats up to the top.

All this happens an hour or two after eating, and is completely better by the next morning.

I think letting the food sink to the bottom and not allowing them to eat/gulp air at the top might be helping too...couldn't hurt.

I heard red leaf lettuce (uncooked, I think) is good in this situation.

I may try taking a break from the food tomorrow and go with that.

Hopefully that will help it recover fully.

Edited by Mr. Hyde

I had a fish that was a bit floaty so I switched the tank to only peas and corn (skin removed) for a couple days and that stopped the floating. The fish seem to like the change too. Not saying you should do this... Just another option.

I had a fish that was a bit floaty so I switched the tank to only peas and corn (skin removed) for a couple days and that stopped the floating. The fish seem to like the change too. Not saying you should do this... Just another option.

Don't see how it could hurt.

I may give it a shot.

Thank you.