What to do against brown algae

Ciedric

I have the same issue but mine is much worse. I just scrub down the sides during each water change and try to reduce the photoperiod (but this is not totally possible since there are huge windows that cover most of the room and let a lot of light in). Big water changes have also helped (i.e. scrub down the sides and then remove most of the brown water).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Based on what they will kill fish and plants? If so they wouldn't sell it right.

If you use the search function of our forum, you'll see that quite a few people have had some really poor results, after using algaecide. :(

Don't know if they sell Seachem products overhere. Just saw a couple of products on Dutch webshops.

I do have Easy-Life ProFito. Does anyone have experience with it?

Found it!

http://www.aquaplantsonline.nl/seachem-flourish-excel-p-584.html

It's expensive!

I use a product called "Metricide 14" (only the 14, not any other varieties), which is a more concentrated form of the same chemical in Excel, Glutaraldehyde. If you find it, it will be much less expensive, and will need to be diluted with each use. That being said, a gallon of it lasts me over a year, and sets me back less than 1/3 of the price of Excel. It has been used by folks in the planted aquarium world for many years.

A little bottle of "activator" would be sold with it, and that must be THROWN AWAY.

metrex-metricide-disinfection-solution-1

Also, with the mention of photoperiods, I only leave my light on for six hours a day. My plants do amazing, and I hardly see a spot of algae. With lighting, it's all about tinkering until you find that perfect balance. :)

Tammy! I didn't know you used metricide...I have contemplated it before but didn't have the guts to do it...I have done some reading on TPT and it was fifty fifty on the use of it. I'll have to reconsider it now!

Based on what they will kill fish and plants? If so they wouldn't sell it right.

If you use the search function of our forum, you'll see that quite a few people have had some really poor results, after using algaecide. :(

Don't know if they sell Seachem products overhere. Just saw a couple of products on Dutch webshops.

I do have Easy-Life ProFito. Does anyone have experience with it?

Found it!

http://www.aquaplantsonline.nl/seachem-flourish-excel-p-584.html

It's expensive!

I use a product called "Metricide 14" (only the 14, not any other varieties), which is a more concentrated form of the same chemical in Excel, Glutaraldehyde. If you find it, it will be much less expensive, and will need to be diluted with each use. That being said, a gallon of it lasts me over a year, and sets me back less than 1/3 of the price of Excel. It has been used by folks in the planted aquarium world for many years.

A little bottle of "activator" would be sold with it, and that must be THROWN AWAY.

metrex-metricide-disinfection-solution-1

Also, with the mention of photoperiods, I only leave my light on for six hours a day. My plants do amazing, and I hardly see a spot of algae. With lighting, it's all about tinkering until you find that perfect balance. :)

Tammy! I didn't know you used metricide...I have contemplated it before but didn't have the guts to do it...I have done some reading on TPT and it was fifty fifty on the use of it. I'll have to reconsider it now!

Sam and I have both used it for quite a while, with positive results. :)

So I changed things against all odds and maybe a week is to short but I seem to see some results!

I start using more plant food (EasyLife pro fito) and Seachems Florist excel.

The algue on the front glass isn't grow as it used to be :)