What to do against brown algae

Ciedric

Iv'e got brown algue on the leafs of my plants, What can I do? I don't like the fact of cleaning the leafs every day.

I've got one Interpet, 36 inch (90cm) 30 watt tropical daylight bulb. How much Kelvin will that be and how long should it be on?

My aquarium got 120 liters in it.

Edited by Ciedric

Diatoms are one of the hardest things to get rid of in an aquarium. They really only go away with scrubbing, but there is a way I've found that works to reduce numbers.

Could we have some more information? Maybe some photos?

• What plants are in your setup and how many?
  • Do you use any fertilizers? If so, what are they and how much/often do you dose?
  • How many fish?
  • How long has it been running?
  • How long are you running the light right now?
  • What substrate do you use?
Edited by ChelseaM

Two fancy tail goldfish

Light runs now more than 12 hours

I placed five root tabs a few weeks ago. Before I didn't use anything.

Got some plants from my old tank (BiOrb Life S30).

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110551-hey/page-5#entry1532580

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/111678-new-into-planted-tanks-what-about-root-tabs/page-2#entry1529600

It was there before using the tabs. Lowering to 8 hours is no problem.

Is the light good for my tank? On a normal sunny day it does look like it's not that much.

12 hours is fine, albeit slightly eccentric. Like Chelsea said, 8-9 hours is better.

Generally, but not always, brown algae is caused by excess silicates in the water/tank, and/or excessive lighting with insufficient nutrients being plied to the plants (for example, carbon dioxide).

Okay the root tabs that I use don't have bad things in it like fosfat at least the package says it.

I use Tetra Goldfish AuqauSafe to concentrate tap water. Before I didn't use a any conditioner except once in six weeks the BiOrb stuff, but still brown algae.

I found Sera algovec as the cheapest conditioner against algae at my local garden and pet shop. It says 5ml to 20 liters water. And repeat it after 10 days when the algae are heavy, but it is only at the leafs. It doesn't say how often you can use it for a good result.

Also bought some new plant food from Easy-Life ProFito but didn't use it yet.

Please DO NOT use any algaecide. It doesn't just kill algae, but fish and plants as well. :(

8-9 hours is the perfect photoperiod to reduce brown algae, but is not considered low light. Excess light will help the algae grow, as Dan said. Algae also thrive in low light. It's a pretty delicate balance.

They still sell them. Just like they still sell goldfish bowls, vacation fish feeders, and weed killers that also kill your grass.

Please refrain from using potentially harmful chemicals in your aquarium when simple changes to your routine will likely be enough to diminish your algae population.

Here is a very good article on algicides and why you shouldn't use them.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/algicides

In the end, it's the very last line that says it all. If your tank is not in balance, these bandage like attempts are not going to cut it, whatever you use, and the algae will be back.

With the light off

2013_%2525208_%2525202_14_57.jpg

With the light on

2013_%2525208_%2525202_14_57.jpg

Brown leafs and a curious fish

2013_%2525208_%2525202_14_58.jpg

Also on the wood

2013_%2525208_%2525202_14_59.jpg

2013_%2525208_%2525202_14_59.jpg

Also on the weed but some are groing super, guess they get some nutrience from the java fern next to them because they have a root tab

Put it between the wood. When I got it it had fancy dark purple leafs, as you can see they are covered with algae. The top leafs are bright green since a week after adding a root tab about two weeks earlier.

I never can get rid of all of it and I would not expect too. But there are things to do to help. Splitting the light time in half so you have a 3 hour or so rest helps. I would give the plants some excel to help them out grow the stuff too.

But you well always have some.

So turning the light on, shut it down and turn it on in the afternoon for example?

What do you mean giving the plants some excel?

It's okay to have some algae, I don't mind it, looks kind of natural. My dad always let them grow at the back, only cleaning the front glass.

But I do mind that they are on my plants so they stop growing because the brown algae are blocking the light.

So turning the light on, shut it down and turn it on in the afternoon for example?

What do you mean giving the plants some excel?

It's okay to have some algae, I don't mind it, looks kind of natural. My dad always let them grow at the back, only cleaning the front glass.

But I do mind that they are on my plants so they stop growing because the brown algae are blocking the light.

It's a product called Fluorish Excel made by Seachem and is a source of carbon. Most people use it as a replacement for dosing CO2. If you're interested, you can also look into using a DIY system. They're easy to setup and there are many examples on youtube. A DIY CO2 system plus the help of my BN pleco keeps my plant leaves brown algae-free :D

The excel should speed up the plant growth and keep the other from taking over. Or if you are brave (not me) DIY is a good option too.

I have always had brown algae in my tanks. Currently my GF tank is doing fine and is manageable but only because I have only two Anubias in there that have made it so it's not too hard to clean.

My 55 is my real planted tank and I stopped using Excel because they melted my Vals. I have recently done a huge attack on the brown algae in there. I left the back and right wall with algae but cleaned the front and left glass then I attacked all the algae on the leaves of the plants. After doing this and seeing hardly any growth from the Vals I've decided to add Excel back into the mix. I'm hoping as Hidr has said, that the Excel will allow good growth in my plants which will cut down on the brown algae but we'll see :)

I'll keep following this thread for other ideas!

Don't know if they sell Seachem products overhere. Just saw a couple of products on Dutch webshops.

I do have Easy-Life ProFito. Does anyone have experience with it?

Found it!

http://www.aquaplantsonline.nl/seachem-flourish-excel-p-584.html

It's expensive!

Edited by Ciedric

I'm on tap talk so I can't see where you're from but have you checked amazon for excel? Might be cheaper :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I read that brown algae likes low light so why reducing the time of having the light on?

Just to clarify, there is a difference between low lighting and photoperiod length—that is, the length of time you leave your lights on. If you have low light levels, leaving them on for 12 or more hours does not increase the amount of lighting you have. Low light is still low light.

Ciedric, you can purchase Seachem Flourish Excel from our forum sponsor Tastyworms. He has great prices and ships internationally too. :)

http://tastyworms.com/seachem-flourish-excel-500ml.html

• 8 months later...

At the moment I'm using a T8 30 w 900mm 36 Interpet light. Does a Dennerle T8 light a bigger change against algue.

I also used Easy-Life Easycarbo is that the same as Fluorish Excel by Seachem?

Using excel will help to reduce brown algae. Regular dosing is usually successful, excel can melt some plants like mentioned above but if you titrate up to the recommended dose you probably won't have the problem. It also may go away on its own too.

But the most natural way to get rid of most of it with out doing hardly anything is to get some snails. Nerite snails, ramshorn snails and even pond snail will eat brown algae.

Gods luck =]

Based on what they will kill fish and plants? If so they wouldn't sell it right.

If you use the search function of our forum, you'll see that quite a few people have had some really poor results, after using algaecide. :(

Don't know if they sell Seachem products overhere. Just saw a couple of products on Dutch webshops.

I do have Easy-Life ProFito. Does anyone have experience with it?

Found it!

http://www.aquaplantsonline.nl/seachem-flourish-excel-p-584.html

It's expensive!

I use a product called "Metricide 14" (only the 14, not any other varieties), which is a more concentrated form of the same chemical in Excel, Glutaraldehyde. If you find it, it will be much less expensive, and will need to be diluted with each use. That being said, a gallon of it lasts me over a year, and sets me back less than 1/3 of the price of Excel. It has been used by folks in the planted aquarium world for many years.

A little bottle of "activator" would be sold with it, and that must be THROWN AWAY.

metrex-metricide-disinfection-solution-1

Also, with the mention of photoperiods, I only leave my light on for six hours a day. My plants do amazing, and I hardly see a spot of algae. With lighting, it's all about tinkering until you find that perfect balance. :)

Edited by yafashelli