Planting Amazon Sword...made a mistake!

jfg5018

Hi All!

So excited! Bought a bunch of new tube plants today! Because I realized I am a "minimalist" golfish keeper...I decided to stick with just Anubias and Java Fern...

Well...I picked up about 5 Anubias of assorted varities and NOT Java Fern as I intended....I got turned about and ended up buying Amazon Swords on accident thinking they were Java Fern....I am such a dodo! :blink: hahaha....

So my problem is...I already superglued one of my Amazon Sword to my decor in my tank....but Swords typically need to be planted in substrate right?

Will my Sword survive if I leave it glued to decor or should I move it and pot it? I have very very very thin substrate in my tank...so planting in substrate I would like to try to avoid if possible...but I already bought and opened the plants (they are the PetSmart/TopFin Tube ones)

...so I'm stuck with them haha!

Such a stupid mistake!!!

What would you all do?

I thought that would most likely be the consensus! I was trying to avoid planting period because my fishies love to dig and uproot and make a hugeeeee mess of plants....I previously had a bunch of hygrophilias potted in there and they made a night mare of the tank and substrate....Can I plant them in Aragonite/Crushed Coral? It's what I have on hand....my water is super soft so it is a good thing either way for my pH....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Got any organic soil you can put under the crushed coral? And then add some larger rocks on top so the fish can't dig in the soil.

Edited by Hidr

If you don't want to plant it, why not keep it glued to the decor and see what happens? At the worst, it will die and you will be rid of it. At best, it might be happy and get big.

That's kinda how I feel too, if you really don't want to pot it. Why not try you luck? :)

I would be more worried about the fish destroying the Swords than how to plant them. My goldfish demolished my Amazon Swords. So, like you had planned, I just do Anubias and Java Fern.

I have one that is glued to a rock & it has done very well!! I took a close look & don't see any sign of goldie nibbling!! And it's been quite awhile.

Just glue it & give it a go......worst case they have a feast!!

Edited by Jeana727

Haha! Thanks for all the input! I did take it off the ornament it was on but I think I am going to attach it to a base in the back of the tank and see! Theyll probably eat it to pieces but I hate to waste it! Its so pretty!

Haha! Thanks for all the input! I did take it off the ornament it was on but I think I am going to attach it to a base in the back of the tank and see! Theyll probably eat it to pieces but I hate to waste it! Its so pretty!

You can also offer them something else to munch on as a deterrent such as lettuce.

I didn't mean to buy the Amazon Sword...just made a mistake when I was at the store...my fish are 90% likely to go after it! They even take chunks out of some of my Anubias! Haha! They are such little piggies!

But since I already bought the Sword and opened the tube container...I agree with yafashelli! And to try out the little experiment!

Ok! So don't laugh! (Picture of the updated, planted tank below!)

My tank is not nearly as attractive as 99% of the peoples' on here! (I have serious tank envy!) But its the best I can do and try to keep it at minimal maintenance!!!

I stuck the Amazon Sword in the center fyi!

Thanks again for all the input everyone!

55gallPlanted.jpg

haha thanks! The substrate is actually extremely minimal (ie not deep enough for plants)...the picture makes it look more full! You can see the tank bottom in most places places in the tank! But I don't like the look of barebottom personally....I have just enough substrate to be useless for planting and keep vacuum maintenance to a minimum!

Recently just started adding plants to the tank! Just bought approximately $90 in Anubias/Java Fern today in an attempt to curb my yearning to get another goldfish (which would push me in to the "overstocked" category!) It isn't really working very effectively....but I am excercising control...just barely. If you asked me 5 months ago.... I never thought I would say this...but I LOVE my Anubias! I actually like that they are slow growing! They are so easy to take care of (except the whole brushing off algae on the leaves thing-ugh thats a pain!) But I get so exuberant when a new leaf pops up that I literally drag my boyfriend in to look at the tank (he couldn't care less haha) just to point out a new leaf!

There are some nice barebottom tanks here, but I too prefer the look of substrate. More importantly, I think the fish like it for foraging. And I believe that plants freshen the water and give the fish security. They hide behind them and sleep behind them. :) Your ornaments are fun too! :D

Plants are nice. They make the tank and room pretty. The fish look so vibrant when they move around in the plants -- it's just such a cool color contract. And it's fun to experiment with plants -- if they thrive, great, and if they don't, oh well. Because it's a goldfish tank, I try not to be too perfectionistic about it -- they easily could eat or uproot anything in the tank. But I think they are worth the effort -- for me and the fish. :)

There are some nice barebottom tanks here, but I too prefer the look of substrate. More importantly, I think the fish like it for foraging. And I believe that plants freshen the water and give the fish security. They hide behind them and sleep behind them. :) Your ornaments are fun too! :D

Plants are nice. They make the tank and room pretty. The fish look so vibrant when they move around in the plants -- it's just such a cool color contract. And it's fun to experiment with plants -- if they thrive, great, and if they don't, oh well. Because it's a goldfish tank, I try not to be too perfectionistic about it -- they easily could eat or uproot anything in the tank. But I think they are worth the effort -- for me and the fish. :)

Ya I have defintely seen some lovely bare bottoms here too....but I like it more natural looking I guess! And my goldies like to dig for food too.

The Amazon Sword has been pegged as a food source, one large, long leaf is becoming shorter and shorter every day! Hahaha! But that's ok, because I have just ordered an $85 plant and I would much rather have them eat the $5 sword!

Uh...it is an $85 dollar single plant hahaha - :doh11: Its a bit excessive ....But I am so excited for it to arrive!

It's Anubias barteri var nana white!

This is what it looks like:

DSC_0508.jpg

© Jeffery Sutanto

An EIGHTY-FIVE DOLLAR P L A N T??? :thud Good Lawd!!!!!

I'd be afraid that thing would start to die on me & I would be trying to figure out how to give it mouth to mouth...AND PLANTS DON'T HAVE MOUTHS!!! :yikes

Don't get me wrong...it's pretty (Feel free to send me a little snippet of it!!!)

Edited by Jeana727