Bloody streaks, ammonia burn

AnnaMNR

I think part of her issue was being in a 20 gallon tank with eight or so goldfish the same size. Could that be why the redness is reducing?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone help me with the black on her? Part of it might be her color but the black is sort of shrinking in size slowly and isn't curled badly anymore

The black will go away on its own, in due time, with proper care. :)

How is she doing? Still a lot of bottom sitting? I really think that she would benefit greatly with flukes treatment.

The black will go away on its own, in due time, with proper care. :)

How is she doing? Still a lot of bottom sitting? I really think that she would benefit greatly with flukes treatment.

The only thing I can find is prazi and metro together. I can't afford to order prazipro online. I only have 12 dollars that I could spend

She isn't bottom sitting anymore, is very active now

Hi congrats on your fine new fish. She is a beaut!

Good on you for rescuing her. ;D As far as the owner goes, well; it has been said that guilty people accuse others, you know? Hope not though...

A mod could confirm this but Prazi + Metro is a great start imo for parasites. It's like a "one, two" punch.

Metronidazole is such a good agent, we're lucky to have it -- low toxicity / high margin of safety and like prazi it's good against lots of parasite-y little critters (including internal flukes (Metro)). It also works very well on many bacteria such as the "stringy white poop" type.

Whether in combo with Metro or eventually by itself, from past sad experience I would make sure my fish get the full course of QT prazi. Obviously since Metro has been started you'll prob. want to give it for a minimum of 14 days, or 21 days, or whichever you agree with makes up the complete course of Metro.

Congrats again! It's win-win for you and your new friend.

Hi congrats on your fine new fish. She is a beaut!

Good on you for rescuing her. ;D As far as the owner goes, well; it has been said that guilty people accuse others, you know? Hope not though...

A mod could confirm this but Prazi + Metro is a great start imo for parasites. It's like a "one, two" punch.

Metronidazole is such a good agent, we're lucky to have it -- low toxicity / high margin of safety and like prazi it's good against lots of parasite-y little critters (including internal flukes (Metro)). It also works very well on many bacteria such as the "stringy white poop" type.

Whether in combo with Metro or eventually by itself, from past sad experience I would make sure my fish get the full course of QT prazi. Obviously since Metro has been started you'll prob. want to give it for a minimum of 14 days, or 21 days, or whichever you agree with makes up the complete course of Metro.

Congrats again! It's win-win for you and your new friend.

I thought I read on another thread to only use prazi and nothing mixed with it? Which is true? I've never used prazi or metro before so I don't know what I'm doing lol

What ever the black thing was it's getting better. It doesn't look crusty anymore and her dorsal fin is almost standing at its full height, just a slight lop to one side where the black was the worst. I think the salt is helping. Her tail fins look fine now.

Hi, I think I can identify with your cautiousness. Sounds like whatever else, you want to be sure you don't do something harmful, right? Very smart.

I'm fairly new at aquaria personally altho more comfortable with other aspects of vertebrate and invertebrate biology, and even some microbiology and pharmacology. Doesn't guarantee that it applies to fish, though, you know?

So...I was looking for this same info recently and the answer seems to be, "OK together." A couple indicators: API medication "General Cure" contains exactly these two agents. Also...as a pure noob on Koko's idk the policy on posting links, but there's an aquaculture website where readers email questions and the mods, who apparently have both some formal training and some experience, post the questions along with their responses. There's a thread there also saying these 2 are OK together & even recommending it for that particular inquiry. The website and / or link are available if OK w/ KKGFF to post here.

Between the mods and me, I'd choose the mods' advice but the above is what I could find. If you need to make decisions pronto and this info is in line with what you already know to be true, maybe it'll be helpful. Like the chicken soup tale, "It won't hurt!" The drawback would be that once an anti-infective is started you have to finish the course, even if later you decide you'd have preferred otherwise.

Cheers, and keep that positive attitude / outlook that I sense is there also!

Hi Steve,

I agree with that metronidazole is a godsend, even for fish. The problem is that as with all things, we try to make sure that it's used only when needed, given the penchant for a lot of people not to adhere to proper protocol, and ending lending an easy hand to antibiotic resistance. The thing that we need to keep in mind, as you know, is that metro is really only good against protozoan parasites and primarily anaerobic bacteria. So, while it's quite powerful, it's range is more limited, and more suitable for areas where there would be anaerobic organisms, such as the digestive tract, or where we could find protozoans.

Ana, I understand that you cannot order online. This then is something that needs consideration. You will probably need to do four 4-day rounds of prazi treatments, with 3 days of rest between each round. This can be done when metro is not part of the equation. However, with metro, you will need to treat continuously for at least 21 days. Can you get enough for that? Keep in mind that you will have to redose when you do water changes.

How is the fish? I'm glad that she seems to be perking up! :)

Thanks for the help guys. I will try to get the med that had metro and prazi when I get back up to Mt pleasant. It will probably be tomorrow. I wish I could get straight prazi but I'll look at the back of the box and tell you what it says the ingredients are and how much is in it.

The fish is doing great, swimming around, no more bottom sitting. The black areas are turning into an orange area and I think she might have a splash of orange as her natural color, maybe even calico just on the tip of her dorsal fin.

Hi Anna! I think it would be worth a shot to search for nearby pet/fish "aquarium" or even aquascape (companies that build ponds, etc) stores and then make a few phone calls before going out to look for the medications. Most of the time they'll be willing to tell you whether or not they have a specific medication on hand and how much it costs. :) Searching "aquarium stores near alma michigan" did yield a few stores with phone numbers so you should give them a try!

They make smaller bottles of Prazipro that should fall into your budget. I hope you can find the Prazi and good luck with your fish! :hug:heart

Hi, it's terrific to read Tippy is doing better!

It feels a little strange to ask this, but idk...if it helps you and Tippy it's worth it:

We have a sealed, completely unopened 4-ounce container of Prazi-Pro that we bought sometime around the first of the year in 2012 (no expiration date visible). Then the fish forum mods at the time persuaded me to use a different prazi product and the Prazi-Pro has just been sitting here; likely we'll never use it.

Of course you wouldn't receive it at once but if you have an address where you'd like us to mail it -- an address that also protects your online privacy and safety -- please let us know. We could send it USPS first class. No charge to you! We'd be happy to see it get used and help someone out. If you want the PP and you'd rather not post any addresses on the forum, which is understandable, just let us know how you'd like to transmit the shipping info.

The important thing is, Tippy's looking better! Hooray!

Edited by Steve1107

OMG I would love if you would send it to me. One day I'll do you a favor in return for your kindness.

[DNAlex deleted]

It says you can't use the messaging system. After you read this and post I would ask that the mods delete this post.

You have no idea how much this means to me

Above noted

Many thanks to dnalex and Koko. (Awaiting Koko's email message.)

@AnnaMNR -- we're happy if we can help!

I so appreciate. It's such a family community here. If you ever need anything I will help you.

Hello! Hopefully Tippy is holding her own & even showing more improvement.

Just to update you, still awaiting email with shipping address. Plan to mail PP same day when address received.