• * Ammonia Level(Tap)1ppm
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0ppm
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)0ppm
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.2
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)7.4

Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 74F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 29 gallons, running since November
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?Unsure of the brand but two 55 gallon filters
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 75%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? Adding fish tomorrow
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?Pro-Gold and Spirulina discs
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?Just the oranda
  • * Any medications added to the tank?No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. The tank used to be Wacken’s which I treated with salt for ick. He is transferred to a different tank now and all of the salt has been removed through water changes.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody streaks but they are not very noticeable. Ammonia burn on dorsal fin
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

I am getting a fish tomorrow that I needed to fill this out for. It will be less than 24 hours when I get her so I thought I'd get a head start. I'll post a video tomorrow.

Edited by Narny105
Changed font size- too large

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so this is for a fish you do not have yet, correct?

Since we do not know the fish's history, and the issues appear to be minor, I would just go with clean water. The new fish probably was exposed to ammonia which caused the burns and the red streaks. These should disappear on their own once he is taken care of properly.

This current tank has been running empty for a while? Did you keep feeding the cycle?

If you haven't gotten the fish yet, may I ask how is it that you already know the ammonia to be 1ppm? We actually wanted to know the tank parameters that the fish was in, this information might be a bit misleading, because the 1ppm readily lends a hand to the belief that there is ammonia burn, when we don't know that to be true.

Is it definite that the tap has 1ppm ammonia?

Yes, I fed the cycle

I put the stats of the tank she is going in. I can try to test the water she comes in when I get her home this afternoon

The tap was in between .5 and 1 ppm

What can I add to get rid of the ammonia present in my tap water so that when I do water changes I'm not adding ammonia?

Prime will detoxify up to 1 ppm of ammonia for 24 hours. Eventually your cycle will be able to process that amount within 24 hours.

And you won't necessarily be doing 100% WCs so if your tank water has no ammonia then you do a 50% WC, your ammonia should only be 0.5 ppm which will be processed fairly quickly once your cycle is well established. :D

You can't see the red streaks very well in her tail fins but this is the best I could get. Am testing the water she came in now, will be back shortly

The tests on the fish store water came back:

ammonia 1ppm

nitrite 0ppm

nitrate 0ppm

And yes, she is gorgeous. I named her Tippy <3

The man at the fish store told me the black spot was just her color but it looks curled like it was burned so I don't think it was just her color. What can I do about the red veins?

I've noticed since I put her in her tank she's done a lot of bottom sitting but she ate voraciously for me. Do you suppose she's just scared of her new surroundings or is this a problem?

Sorry for so many posts, I just want to add new information as I get it.

Firstly, for the future, please don't post with diagnosis in the title, because that actually will bias the way people look at the issues already. Instead of saying ammonia burns, I would say black marks or smears, because that's what they are. While ammonia burns are possible, that's only one possibility among several. :)

Are you planning to salt and prazi?

Sorry, I didn't know, I thought they were ammonia burns.

I can salt but cannot afford to buy prazi right now. What do you recommend?

Oooh she is adorable! Consultations! I am glad you went back for her!

Thank you! I thought she was just beautiful. I'm wondering how big she'll get and if she'll get one of those big brainy wens xD I love those lol

I just raised the salt level to .1

Now she is showing very few 'grains of salt'. Maybe three small ones on her whole body BUT the red veinyness is beginning to lighten

Could you try to get pics and/or a video of the affected area? That will help.

You will also want to increase the salt to 0.3%.

Finally, it's probably prudent to not take so much of what the seller has to say to heart, in light of observable symptoms. The fish may have been fine, but it clearly is not at the moment.

I increased to .2 salinity and tonight will make the jump to .3 She seems to be handling it well but is a bit inactive. She was more active at the store than she is here but I think it might have been because the woman that feeds the fish popped up to help me get her xD lol They were all doing feed me dances.

You know what annoyed me most though? The man accused me of telling him his fish was sick when it wasn't so I could get a discounted price. I asked for 5 dollars off after pointing out the symptoms and he told me that was just her color and she was fine. I ended up not getting the discount but I don't really care about that. It was the principle of the thing, you know? I'm insulted he thinks my character is that bad. I wouldn't lie like that.

You can see a 'grain of salt' toward the end on her tail fins. It's really hard to capture the blood vessels but they are fading and less evident than they were yesterday. She was being particularly active for the video. Often she just sits in the corner.

I raised the salt to .3 and the red veiny lines are nearly non-existent now. Could the black part of her dorsal fin be a scar> The surrounding orange has gone away though, it's just left a black curled mark