Sign in to follow this  
HappyPercy

Not Alfredo... please not Alfredo.. Dropsy

Oh my god I can't stop crying. This fish is everything to me. He's all I have. I live alone and he's like a dog. Everyone's had a goldfish like that. They're special. He'll go to the top and wiggle around. I hand feed him. He's the only fish I have that doesn't get scared when I put my hand in the tank or have to move him to a tank he doesn't even fight me, never has. Alfredo has shown early stages of dropsy in the past and we treated it. I tried to treat it this time and he's not responding to the epsom salts or the metro med. He's in a QT tank by himself. This is just too devastating to even watch. His fins are black, I'm wondering if there was an ammonia spike when the power went out last night. None of the other fish seem to have this. Please help me, if there is even a way to be helped. :(

My internet isn't working so I'm using my phone. It will make the video quality lousy. Towards the end you can see the dropsy.

7f23.jpg

73ed.jpg

te8b.jpg

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level 0
    • * Nitrite Level 0
    • * Nitrate level less than 10
    • * Ammonia Level 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4, KH: >100
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)6.4
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API glass tubes one
      • * Water temperature? 73
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons, 6 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? It says Aquaclear 50
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? On the QT tank I try to 100% every day
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? usually pro-gold he's on metro med now for the 3rd day.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Yes, 1/4 teaspoon in a 10 gallon tank of epsom salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Alfredo has struggled with early signs of dropsy before. i've always been able to get it under control. This practically happened overnight. He's just all the sudden swelled up.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Yes, when I picked him up he was very slimy. He appears to have ammonia burns but I'm not sure if that's what this is. None of the other fish had it. The power had gone out, maybe there was an ammonia spike. I didn't check the ammonia because I didn't know if/when the power went out if it even did.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? He's gasping for air a little bit at the top. He's getting weak, the filter is blowing him around a little bit. He's still eating a lot but he's not quite his spunky self but still energetic.

So sorry to see him like that :(

The only thing I would add is to up the heat. With one of my fish, he would only go back to normal after the heat was turned up to 78 degrees.

I second upping the heat. I'm sorry he has dropsy. :hug. You are doing a great job. Are you feeding him the proper amount of MM? That is key.

Oh Percy, I'm sorry Alfredo isn't doing well. I could read the pain you are in from your post. :hug Hang in there. It sounds like your doing the right thing from the posts above. I hope you see him doing much better in a day or two.

I'm sorry Percy! Hopefully he'll recover quickly!

I am so sorry, girl! :(

One thing I notice: The tap pH is really low, with 100% water changes daily you are exposing him to to a full point drop in pH every day, which can be one of the main reasons or even the reason for him to be ill.

I agree with upping the temperature, and try to find a solution for the pH. Since it goes UP in your tank, I would start to let a big bucket or tub of water sit out with an air stone over night and use this for the water changes the next day :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

you're doing all that yo can hun. fingers crossed he improves :heart

oh no :( I do hope you caught this in time again and he recovers asap!!!

Also, his tail is getting slightly ragged which concerns me a little.

Oh no! :cry

OH dear. I sure hope he get better soon.

Good luck with him. I hope he bounces back for you. :hug

?

One thing I notice: The tap pH is really low, with 100% water changes daily you are exposing him to to a full point drop in pH every day, which can be one of the main reasons or even the reason for him to be ill.

?

I agree with upping the temperature, and try to find a solution for the pH. Since it goes UP in your tank, I would start to let a big bucket or tub of water sit out with an air stone over night and use this for the water changes the next day :)

This is a good point. Are you buffering the water when you do a water change?

Just checking in and wanted to see how Alfredo and You are doing. He sure is a gorgeous fish.

Come on Alfredo. Please get to feeling better.

Awwh this is heartbreaking to read about :(

You're doing all you can and that is important, he loves you and you're taking the best care of him. Let's hope he makes a full recovery!!

This is a good point. Are you buffering the water when you do a water change?

This is a problem for me. I have live PH monitors and usually I'll put the fish in a bucket with an aerator while i'm changing the water until I can get the Ph just right. Otherwise you're right, it will cause a major drop in the PH and the baking soda doesn't work right away so yeah its not good for him being exposed to an unstable PH that is constantly changing. Is the bucket thing OK?

Just checking in and wanted to see how Alfredo and You are doing. He sure is a gorgeous fish.

Come on Alfredo. Please get to feeling better.

Thank you. I'm doing ok, he's a fighter he's still got his personality.. he acts like a dog lol

Hooray!

Thank you for the update. Hopefully that means he's at least staying the same / holding his own? Best wishes to both you all. :crosses fingers:

I have a question. I am leaving town and a friend is taking care of my fish. I'm in a huge hurry, how long should I leave Alfredo in the epsom salt? My friend doesn't know how to do a water change so I will be gone 3 days. He's been in the epsom salt for 3 days.

Normally it's 8 days. He should be fine. :) How is he doing? And make sure you have the MM weighed out in advance

Edited by mikey

Ok, so you DO use a buffer (baking soda). I would pre-prepare the new water for water changes a day in advance then, if possible. Just keep testing the prepared water to figure out how exactly to dose etc until the water has the right pH. This way you will prevent pH fluctuations :)

Hope he feels better soon.