10g stocking + betta

• Supporter

Ok so I think I know what I want to do now but need an all clear first. I may be over stocked in my plans.

So 1 male betta

4 ottos

4 white cloud

1 snail.

The tank will be heavily planted and has a AC 30 on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• Supporter

Thinking about it I think it sounds like a bit much :/ tbh. But just incase. If it is over the limit what would be a good compromise?

Does seem a little stocked. If you can aim for 15 gallons, that would be much more preferable, particularly for the ottos

4 white clouds, a snail, and a betta would be a much better stocking capacity for a 10 gallon tank in my opinion

Although I do not recommend it for the initial setup, having A LOT of live plants can make up for stocking heavier in a tropical tank. Some people have successfully kept a high number of small tropicals in a smaller tank, but this requires a well established, heavily planted tank.

Generally it is much better to stick with a lower number of fish. I would stick either with the white clouds or the otos, but get five of whichever you choose for a more proper number school. :)

• Supporter

Does seem a little stocked. If you can aim for 15 gallons, that would be much more preferable, particularly for the ottos

?

4 white clouds, a snail, and a betta would be a much better stocking capacity for a 10 gallon tank in my opinion

Thank you

I do have a 15 but it is occupied lol. I'm useing my 10g tank for this project. I may. Do like you say and just leave out the ottos for now.

• Supporter

Although I do not recommend it for the initial setup, having A LOT of live plants can make up for stocking heavier in a tropical tank. Some people have successfully kept a high number of small tropicals in a smaller tank, but this requires a well established, heavily planted tank.

?

Generally it is much better to stick with a lower number of fish. I would stick either with the white clouds or the otos, but get five of whichever you choose for a more proper number school. :)

Ok so ill do a betta, 5 wcmm, and one snail to start. If everything go's good I may try and add another snail or something later.

Does this sound good?

• Supporter

My favorite! :):heart Horned nerites are the best! Also, they have lower bioload than a mystery snail. :)

I have nowhere to get the horned nerites :( I'd love to have one or two of those.

I see them occasionally in my lfs but not when I wanted them, so I got mine on ebay. I bought from this seller, and I still have all of my nerites after a year and half. I'd say they were healthy. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Live-Spiral-Horn-nerite-Snails-fish-tank-aquarium-/271002385061?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item3f19003aa5

• Supporter

I see them occasionally in my lfs but not when I wanted them, so I got mine on ebay. I bought from this seller, and I still have all of my nerites after a year and half. I'd say they were healthy. :)

?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Live-Spiral-Horn-nerite-Snails-fish-tank-aquarium-/271002385061?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item3f19003aa5

I ordered these.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261049934428

Lol! I clicked on it, and it said, "Someone has bought these in the past hour." I know who that someone is!

Best of luck with them. They are handy and interesting little critters. I have kept one in my small tanks, and 2-5 in my bigger tanks. It's helpful that I'm great at growing algae. ;)

• Supporter

Lol! I clicked on it, and it said, "Someone has bought these in the past hour." I know who that someone is!

?

Best of luck with them. They are handy and interesting little critters. I have kept one in my small tanks, and 2-5 in my bigger tanks. It's helpful that I'm great at growing algae. ;)

Lol thank you. I will be getting 6. I can put one maybe two in the 10g? 2 in The 15 and 1-2 in the 29 and 80.

I bought the same ones! Mine were striped though. They came healthy, six live snails. But Prazi Pro killed 5 of them, I didn't know nerites were sensitive to prazi :/

The horned ones stay really small, so I would say 5-6 probably add up to the bioload of one, maybe two mystery snails. I'd say you are good with that stocking level.

I would not add all of them at once though (betta, wcm and snails), because that would be too much for the biological filter. Since you already have the snails, I would QT them with daily full water changes (in order to flush out their shells from the water they brought with them) for a week or two.

After adding them, wait a couple weeks before adding the wcm. Then wait a month or so, and then add the betta.

I would add the betta last since he is the most territorial. That way the wcms will have already established themselves in the tank and the betta won't that easily mess it all up lol.

If you find a betta before the time is right to add him, you need to QT him anyway. So you can theoretically already buy him (or her, females are so underrated!) if you find one you like, and just keep him separate for now.

• Supporter

I bought the same ones! Mine were striped though. They came healthy, six live snails. But Prazi Pro killed 5 of them, I didn't know nerites were sensitive to prazi :/

?

The horned ones stay really small, so I would say 5-6 probably add up to the bioload of one, maybe two mystery snails. I'd say you are good with that stocking level.

?

I would not add all of them at once though (betta, wcm and snails), because that would be too much for the biological filter. Since you already have the snails, I would QT them with daily full water changes (in order to flush out their shells from the water they brought with them) for a week or two.

After adding them, wait a couple weeks before adding the wcm. Then wait a month or so, and then add the betta.

I would add the betta last since he is the most territorial. That way the wcms will have already established themselves in the tank and the betta won't that easily mess it all up lol.

?

If you find a betta before the time is right to add him, you need to QT him anyway. So you can theoretically already buy him (or her, females are so underrated!) if you find one you like, and just keep him separate for now.

Thanks I gor the snails ordered so ill add them when I get them.

• Supporter

The filter I have on it had the tele bioload and has not had a fish for alittle over 24hr. Are my bbs still good. If I move my smallest gf over to it. Think I can keep some what of a cycle going?

• Supporter

So I have my betta. Got snails comming they shipped today.

I'm thinking od getting a school of rasbosas or white cloud to go with him.

But anyway my mom has a poor littlw albino corecat in a 1.5 gal tank. I was thinking should I put it in the 10g with the betta? If not mom has told me I can rehome him to the fammily pet store I have been going to.

• Supporter

Great people of Koko's

?

I beseech ye with a question.

?

Well a few really.

?

Im thinking about the next fish to get for me betta tank.

could I do a school of Cory Catfish? like 3

if I can in your opinion can I also add other fish?

Of these fish will any not work?

White cloud Mountain Minnow

Harlequin Rasbora

Dojo Loach

Danios

If you haven't got the WCMM already, I wouldn't because they're sub-tropical. Their life spans are reduced in warmer water, and probably won't have their brightest colours. I would find a fish that is more suited to the higher temps of the betta :) I vote some kind of peaceful "nano" fish :D

• Supporter

I am thinking about doing a school of cory cat. 4 of some type. I know 1 or 2 don't get as big as others. So trying to find one of them.

I can't wait to see pictures of this tank! I'm trying to get ideas for my 20. It's hard to decide what to put into them!

• Supporter

I can't wait to see pictures of this tank! I'm trying to get ideas for my 20. It's hard to decide what to put into them!

I have a thread up lol

"My Brilliantly Bright Boy Betta"