Are bamboo roots toxic to goldfish?

Goldyfeesh

I know to grow lucky bamboo in a tank it can't be fully submerged, or it'll rot, but I planned on just sticking it in my tank. However, I heard somewhere that the roots are toxic to goldfish if consumed. Is this true? Do I have to put the bamboo in a container with substrate or can I just put it my tank with the roots exposed?

• Supporter

I know to grow lucky bamboo in a tank it can't be fully submerged, or it'll rot, but I planned on just sticking it in my tank. However, I heard somewhere that the roots are toxic to goldfish if consumed. Is this true? Do I have to put the bamboo in a container with substrate?or can I just put it my tank with the roots exposed?

Good question I would really like to know this. I have some is a container stuck to the back wall of the tank and when the roots grow out they get eat. So if this is bad I need to change somthing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have some bamboo with established rust coloured roots inside the filter intake area and a very tall bamboo sticking directly out of the tank environment with some massive root growth going on.. I'm very curious about this.