how much do i feed and how often (3 different kinds of food)

Hi everyone, i have a black moor alone in a 20 gallon tank with a 70gallon fluval aquaclear filter for great water quality. Ive had him for a couple of months now feeding him API goldfish pellets mainly, and about twice a week some tetranature brine shrimp gel food i bought at the petstore. After doing some research i decided to make a DIY gel mixture (using knox unflavored gelatin) with organic pea baby food for good digestion and some TetraFin goldfish crisps that supposedly enhance coloring. My question is how often and at what ratios should i feed my blackie for good growth and most importantly overall health?

ps. this is my first post on a forum... ever :P

• Supporter

welcome to kokos :) nice to have you with us!

i just feed as much as they will gobble up in the first few minutes. after, i remove uneaten food. a few times like that, you can pretty much get an idea of how much your fish would like to eat in one feed.

if you're looking at growing your fish, then feed a little less, a little more frequently throughout the day, but do change the water more often. we here like to change the water every week and we change around 60-80% each week :)

• Supporter

peas a good, brine shrimp is good too, but both in moderation. as peas can be a laxative, you don't want to feed them more than a few times a week. same with brine shrimp, it's all protein.

i generally feed my fish Repashy products. you can have a look at their ingredients here http://tastyworms.com/index.php?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=N&pfull=N&pname=Y&pkeywords=N&search_performed=Y&q=repashy&dispatch=products.search&page=3 the favourite ones for goldies is the Solient Green or the Super Green. i have both & mix them together :)

once a week, i fast my fish for 24 hours, then i feed them peas. once this is all done, i feed them as normal again :)

peas a good, brine shrimp is good too, but both in moderation. as peas can be a laxative, you don't want to feed them more than a few times a week. same with brine shrimp, it's all protein.

i generally feed my fish Repashy products. you can have a look at their ingredients here http://tastyworms.com/index.php?subcats=Y&status=A&pshort=N&pfull=N&pname=Y&pkeywords=N&search_performed=Y&q=repashy&dispatch=products.search&page=3 the favourite ones for goldies is the Solient Green or the Super Green. i have both & mix them together :)

once a week, i fast my fish for 24 hours, then i feed them peas. once this is all done, i feed them as normal again :)

Helen, can I ask what, if any, differences you've noticed between Soilent Green and Super Green? I have a very floaty ryukin and Soilent Green isn't greeeeat with him but it's not the worst. I wonder if Super Green might be the way to go :D Essentially the only things that don't make him float are green beans and lettuce and I worry he isn't getting enough protein.

What do you guys think about this schedule?

Sunday- Fast...Fast...Gel

Monday- Pellet...Brine...Pellet

Tuesday- Pellet...Pellet...Pellet

Wednesday- Pellet...Brine...Gel

Thursday- Pellet...Pellet...Pellet

Friday- Pellet...Brine...Gel

Saturday- Pellet...Pellet...Gel

is 3 times a week brine and pea gel ok?

also is there a time where its better to feed something rather than something else?

for example is it better for the fish if i feed the gel in the morning instead of at night? since it helps with digestion