Uh oh, starting a new project xD

WELL, now that I have my new job (!!!!!!!!) I can have a little office tank again! I'm thinking a 5 or 7.5 gallon tank, along those lines. I'll probably grab a kit like this one http://www.amazon.com/Aquarius-Aq15005-Rounded-5-Gallon-Aquarium/dp/B007KKU8QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375191037&sr=8-1&keywords=aquarium for when I'm ready to set up.

So, I need stocking ideas! I put this in tropicals because I really don't have tons of ideas. I'm sure a tank this size limits my options for stocking significantly.

Since it will be at my office and get slightly less attention than my other tanks, I think I want to stick with silk plants for the time being.

Would I be able to have a heater in something this small?

I'm considering some cool snails but I'm not sure how I should prepare a tank for just snails and how to feed them without overfeeding.

Any ideas? A betta would be fun, also :) Could I get away with danios? Of course, I don't want to "get away" with whatever I choose; I want it to be a good home for them. I appreciate any suggestions!

I'm also curious about Fluval Chi (and the other all-in-one Fluval) setups! Has anyone used one? Did you like it?

Edited by kaylaj2355

My mother had the fluval chi, and I helped her upgrade to the fluval edge 12 gallon. I really love them both, and the edge comes with I think the smallest aquaclear filter.

Why not a betta? :) Narny has an article on betta care ;)

Edited by teleSC

My mother had the fluval chi, and I helped her upgrade to the fluval edge 12 gallon. I really love them both, and the edge comes with I think the smallest aquaclear filter.

Why not a betta? :) Narny has an article on betta care ;)

Thanks for the Fluval input! :D The tanks are really lovely.

I'm considering a betta! I wonder if I'd be able to heat a tank that small, though. I have a betta at home so wondering about other choices, too :D

I have the 5 gallon fluval chi and I really like it! I do reccomend that you buy a cover though first thing since you don't want any fish jumping out! The filter is not strong, but it is perfect for a betta! My betta loves it. I have my tank heavily planted with crypts and I ave added a bunch of suction on LED lights to add light and it works perfectly!

You could do a group of male guppies if you wanted (they are quite fun! I have some!) Or some neon tetras.

You can definitely heat a five gallon! I used to have a betta in a five gallon and I forget exactly what kind of heater I had but it worked well. They sell ones that are rated for tanks that size. I don't recommend one of the stick on pad ones that they advertise for betta bowls...they typically don't work very well, at least, not for a tank that big.

I have the 5 gallon fluval chi and I really like it! I do reccomend that you buy a cover though first thing since you don't want any fish jumping out! The filter is not strong, but it is perfect for a betta! My betta loves it. I have my tank heavily planted with crypts and I ave added a bunch of suction on LED lights to add light and it works perfectly!

You could do a group of male guppies if you wanted (they are quite fun! I have some!) Or some neon tetras.

Thanks so much! I think I might splurge on a 5 gallon Chi :) They look so nice. I forgot about guppies! :D That would be really fun. How many would I be able to have in a tank this size, though, I wonder?

You can definitely heat a five gallon! I used to have a betta in a five gallon and I forget exactly what kind of heater I had but it worked well. They sell ones that are rated for tanks that size. I don't recommend one of the stick on pad ones that they advertise for betta bowls...they typically don't work very well, at least, not for a tank that big.

Awesome! Thanks so much :D I will check it out at my fish store next time I go! I hear when it comes to heaters, you pretty much get what you pay for, so I will try to find a nice one.

Thanks so much! I think I might splurge on a 5 gallon Chi :) They look so nice. I forgot about guppies! :D That would be really fun. How many would I be able to have in a tank this size, though, I wonder?

I would say maybe 5 in a five gallon. They really don't produce much waste though

I would say maybe 5 in a five gallon. They really don't produce much waste though

Eeee, five male guppies would be so fun! Do you have any idea about tetras/danios? Do they need more swimming space?

I'm really intrigued by the glofish danios, but the idea just kind of makes me weirded out. I always wanted those painted glass fish when I was little and I found that they don't make them anymore because of ethical reasons. Granted, I read Narny's article on glofish DNA and I don't think that's how it was done with the painted glass fish. I think those fish were injected or something.

I have no idea about danios as I have never owned them, and the thing about tetras is that they are a schooling fish so you are going to want at least 10 to make them comfortable. I wouldn't put that many of them in a 5 gallon, especially since you want it to be lower maintnance (so you can do a lot less water changes with a low stocked tank)

I also wouldn't do snails if you want low maintnance because snails poop like CRAZY!!!!!

I have no idea about danios as I have never owned them, and the thing about tetras is that they are a schooling fish so you are going to want at least 10 to make them comfortable. I wouldn't put that many of them in a 5 gallon, especially since you want it to be lower maintnance (so you can do a lot less water changes with a low stocked tank)

I also wouldn't do snails if you want low maintnance because snails poop like CRAZY!!!!!

Aha sounds like I might want to stick with guppies! I always forget that those little snails are such poop machines.

I think a betta's natural colors are much more attractive than any fish who has been genetically manipulated.

I do really like bettas. I suppose I could order a fancy one online as a present for myself for getting the new job :D I'm so torn! I think if anything I will do a betta or guppies, though, since I wouldn't want a schooling fish to feel crowded.

Gah, I'm getting so annoyed shopping online for small desktop tanks...THESE ARE NOT FOR GOLDFISH! xD It's all, three gallon tank, perfect for a goldfish! AKA small hallway closet, perfect for a dog!

Same here xD Even if it doesn't say it's for goldfish, don't photoshop a huge oranda onto the picture of a 1 gallon bowl!

Go to Petsmart now -- the store here has a lot of nice small tanks on clearance. Cindi just got two for her new bettas.

If you want glofish, try a tank like this one: http://www.petco.com/product/14978/Petco-Bookshelf-Freshwater-Fish-Aquarium.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Fish_2-_-Petco%20Bookshelf%20Freshwater%20Fish%20Aquarium-14978 They will appreciate the extra swimming space because they are very active fish. I wouldn't put them in a traditionally shaped tank this size. Actually, this is a great tank for any fish, but I did have to replace the filter that came with it -- it was very noisy. I never put a heater in this tank. I put the light on a timer, and the light kept the tank warm enough.

As for occupants, I love my planted betta and shrimp tank. :)

I think a betta's natural colors are much more attractive than any fish who has been genetically manipulated.

I see your point, but keep in mind that wild bettas don't look like store bettas. They are highly selectively bred. And Glofish come from genetically modified stock -- it's not like each fish has undergone any kind of manipulation. I don't see much difference. At least Glofish don't spend their young lives in cups. :(

I see your point, but keep in mind that wild bettas don't look like store bettas. They are highly selectively bred. And Glofish come from genetically modified stock -- it's not like each fish has undergone any kind of manipulation. I don't see much difference. At least Glofish don't spend their young lives in cups. :(

See and I think that was the difference with the painted glass fish I mentioned before...I think they each had to be treated to end up like that. Not that they were born that way :) I would honestly be just fine with zebra danios, too. That's what glofish are, right?

It is so funny that you link to that bookshelf tank; it is one of the ones I really had my eye on! For the price and the space, and the fact that it's still a kit, I think that might be the winner. Plus, local pick-up! :)

Can I ask what filter you ended up choosing for this tank?

Without having read any replies to your OP, a 5g or 7.5g without live plants leaves you only very few options. A betta with one or two snails as tank mates would be neat.

A good heater for such a small tank is the 7.5watt pad-style heater that they sell at Petsmart, by TopFin. It raises the temperature by about 7F in a 5g, by my experience. Just keep it near the filter or air stone in order to have the produced warm water evenly distributed, since this heater will NOT shut off and may otherwise cause a very hot spot in just one area of your tank.

I would not go with glofish; a 5g does not provide a proper home for these. Being - except for the color - identical to zebra danios, healthy glofish grow to be 2-3" per fish. With this, you need to allocate a minimum 2g of water per fish. Zebra danios are schoolers though and should be kept in groups of five or more.

I think the guppies are a great idea, or maybe a small school of neons or glowlight tetras.

Or how about a shrimp tank, or a tank dedicated to African dwarf frogs? You could keep three frogs in a 5g, they do not require a heater. Average room temperature is perfectly fine, and only minimal filtration. Instead, larger water changes of around 75% weekly. Plus they are extremely entertaining to watch :D

What about Honey Gouramis :D I think they are so pretty and I've read they are similar to bettas. You could keep one and some snails as well! I've never really studied into them so I'm not to sure, just an idea. Good luck!

Edited by Ele

Frogs are an extremely, extremely interesting idea! :o I had considered doing a shrimp tank, but I have a pretty rockin' ghost shrimp tank at home.

LOL, I google African Dwarf Frogs and the first excerpt I notice: "I have several African dwarf frogs {Hymenochirus boettgeri}. These make great pets for the beginner. They are as complicated to deal with as goldfish!" xD xD He goes on to say that they're only slightly more complicated than goldfish because you can't just feed them flakes. There really is goldfish misinformation everywhere, isn't there? Even in articles about other fish penned by hobbyists!