Sign in to follow this  
ElaineSelene

Can I keep a male and female Betta togeather?

Can I keep a male and female Betta together? I have enough room in a lightly filtered tank for them both but I don't know if they would fight or not! Don't they have to be together sometimes at least to breed? I'm soo confused!

Thanks!

-Elaine

You can't they will fight. If it's a standard size tank, you could put a divider in it. I have a male and a female in a 10 gallon tank with a divider. They do fine together. You need lots of plants though so they can't see each other. :D

You can't they will fight. If it's a standard size tank, you could put a divider in it. I have a male and a female in a 10 gallon tank with a divider. They do fine together. You need lots of plants though so they can't see each other. :D

Ohhh ok! :) Thanks! I think I'll just get one male then. How the heck do they breed if they fight all the time??

Ohhh ok! :) Thanks! I think I'll just get one male then. How the heck do they breed if they fight all the time??

They breed, then separate or are separated. It's a delicate process that does sometimes end in death if not done carefully.

in nature they can swim far far away ;)

This.

Because of that it also theoretically is possible to keep both genders together, but this requires a large tank and lots of foliage/cover. Hidr for example keeps a group of females and a male and some other fish in her well planted 55g (?) tank without problems.

But even with the right setup, depending on the individual fish's temperament it may or may not work.

With a smaller tank (what size is it anyway?) you can either keep a single male, a couple males with a divider, a male and a female with a divider, or a group of females. The sorority should provide a lot of cover though.

This.

Because of that it also theoretically is possible to keep both genders together, but this requires a large tank and lots of foliage/cover. Hidr for example keeps a group of females and a male and some other fish in her well planted 55g (?) tank without problems.

But even with the right setup, depending on the individual fish's temperament it may or may not work.

With a smaller tank (what size is it anyway?) you can either keep a single male, a couple males with a divider, a male and a female with a divider, or a group of females. The sorority should provide a lot of cover though.

Well its only a 10 gallon. LOL. I'll just have one male. That is fine with me. :) I just didn't know if bettas got lonely. xD

Have you ever seen those Betta "Exercise Mirrors"... are they a danger to the fish or do they actually do some good? Because I thought that might keep him entertained and active but I don't want him to hurt himself.

Thanks for the tips! :)

If you are worried that he will get bored or lonely, you could add a few tank mates. Shrimp, snails or small schooling fish can work in the right setup. I find that the more plants, the better. Plants offer good hiding spaces for various fish. :)

This.

Well its only a 10 gallon. LOL. I'll just have one male. That is fine with me. :) I just didn't know if bettas got lonely. xD

Have you ever seen those Betta "Exercise Mirrors"... are they a danger to the fish or do they actually do some good? Because I thought that might keep him entertained and active but I don't want him to hurt himself.

It is beneficial for a betta's fins if he gets to flare every once in a while. Keeps the fins strong etc.

Constant stimulation with a mirror that's there 24/7 can severely stress the fish though. Since the tank is 10g, you can add other tank mates. I fully agree with Shawn's post, the more plants, the better. I keep my betta with neons and glowlight tetras without problems. But he is a rather nice guy; a different male betta may dislike the colorful neons.

Other neat tank mates that almost always work are otocinclus catfish (you should have at least 4), snails, larger shrimp, white cloud mountain minnows.

Bettas do not really get bored without tank mates. More important than tank mates is stimulation by environment. Lots of plants and hiding spaces will provide the fish with constant entertainment. They like to keep patrolling their tanks to see if everything is still alright. Having a snail or some shrimp with them entertains them too, it seems as if bettas always finds the snails/shrimps' "slow activity" very suspicious lol

A betta does not get bored without

I'm new to Bettas myself but I read recently putting a mirror in front of the tank for about 10 minutes a day allows them to flare and then when the threat goes away they perhaps think they have scared the other predator off :)

?

?

?

This.

?

?

?

?

?

Well its only a 10 gallon. LOL.? I'll just have one male.? That is fine with me. :)? I just didn't know if bettas got lonely. xD?

?

Have you ever seen those Betta "Exercise Mirrors"...? are they a danger to the fish or do they actually do some good?? Because I thought that might keep him entertained and active but I don't want him to hurt himself.

?

?

?

It is beneficial for a betta's fins if he gets to flare every once in a while. Keeps the fins strong etc.

?

Constant stimulation with a mirror that's there 24/7 can severely stress the fish though. Since the tank is 10g, you can add other tank mates. I fully agree with Shawn's post, the more plants, the better. I keep my betta with neons and glowlight tetras without problems. But he is a rather nice guy; a different male betta may dislike the colorful neons.

Other neat tank mates that almost always work are otocinclus catfish (you should have at least 4), snails, larger shrimp, white cloud mountain minnows.

?

Bettas do not really get bored without tank mates. More important than tank mates is stimulation by environment. Lots of plants and hiding spaces will provide the fish with constant entertainment. They like to keep patrolling their tanks to see if everything is still alright. Having a snail or some shrimp with them entertains them too, it seems as if bettas always finds the snails/shrimps' "slow activity" very suspicious lol

?

A betta does not get bored without

This is just what I wanted to know lol. I just posted a question in another thread about this lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm new to Bettas myself but I read recently putting a mirror in front of the tank for about 10 minutes a day allows them to flare and then when the threat goes away they perhaps think they have scared the other predator off :)

I'm not sure that's even necessary. I've had bettas in the past who would beat themselves against the glass in an attempt to attack a mirror. :(

I'm not sure that's even necessary. I've had bettas in the past who would beat themselves against the glass in an attempt to attack a mirror. :(

I ended up getting a divider with two males. They don't notice each other very often and can't hardly see through the divider. So I think they are good. :)

Thanks. Good to know!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2