Gulping in QT

Hey guys,me again.

One of my newbies, Glitch, is gulping at the surface of the water.Additionally, he is missing some scales. My other newbie, Pixel, almost appears to have a slightly thickened slime coat (but this may just be me being paranoid), though he does occassionally go to one corner of the tank and try his darndest to wiggle out of it superfast.

They both ate some when I tried feeding them a little while ago, and I know both have poo'd since releasing them from the bag.

Pixel seems to know that the filter intake isn't a good thing to get close to, but Glitch seems to have a bit more trouble getting away when he gets to close(he always does,though).Glitch is also more prone to being shoved around by the filter outflow,which I have turned down to a fairly low setting due to the current giving them problems.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)5 (was keeping the cycle by dropping a pellet or two of food twice a day)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.0
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) The nice 7.2-7.6 crashed back to where it was before at 6 =/
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?API drops
      • * Water temperature? 78F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10G QT, 1 week, seeded from a tank running for 1+yr(betas)
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC10
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Will be changing 50% every 3-4 days
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, about 1-1.5"
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?Prime, Seachem Neutral Regulator
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS/Omega One, fed once today
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? QT tank, so both
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Nothing. Tank was sterilized last week.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I have a 50% W/C planned for tomorrow along with the start of Prazi Round 1.

EDIT - Also planned on bringing the salt to .1%. Would double dosing the Prazi be a good idea?

If I need to start the Prazi tonight, I can do that too.

Edited by SynthHermit

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The black moore looks like he is breathing pretty fast and the only time that has happened to me was when the ammonia built up in the water.. Good luck though! I hope someone with more knowledge comes to the rescue soon!

Edited by Ele

How much of each did you feed?

How does their poop look?

Do you have any pantyhose you could use to cover the filter's intake?

The food is in the NLS container, a mix of NLS, Omega one and Progold. I grabbed a small pinch, maybe 5-6 pellets, of the NLS/Omega One(since they're smaller),so I'm not sure how many of each there were.

The poos looked good,maybe a little on the short side. They were a more reddish brown than the food, so I'm assuming the food from the store was that color.

I'll look into what I've got for pantyhose. If not, I'm sure I have a sponge somewhere or filterfloss with an elastic(if that would work).

The food is in the NLS container, a mix of NLS, Omega one and Progold. I grabbed a small pinch, maybe 5-6 pellets, of the NLS/Omega One(since they're smaller),so I'm not sure how many of each there were.

The poos looked good,maybe a little on the short side. They were a more reddish brown than the food, so I'm assuming the food from the store was that color.

I'll look into what I've got for pantyhose. If not, I'm sure I have a sponge somewhere or filterfloss with an elastic(if that would work).

Keep an eye on the poop, just to make sure it transitions over to the color of the pellets.

Generally healthy poo is short, so that's good. :)

The floss with elastic or sponge would work just as well. I only wondered just in case Glitch gets too close and is too tired. It will protect him from getting injured by the intake.

Keep an eye on the poop, just to make sure it transitions over to the color of the pellets.

Generally healthy poo is short, so that's good. :)

The floss with elastic or sponge would work just as well. I only wondered just in case Glitch gets too close and is too tired. It will protect him from getting injured by the intake.

Excellent. My mom had an unopened pack of pantyhose from years ago,so I've got two pairs to cut up as I please.

As soon as I can find my scissors, I'll tie a piece on.

Alright, it's on. Looks a bit funny because I cut the wrong end of the pantyhose...but hey. Doesn't have to be pretty to work xD

EDIT - On the Prazi tomorrow, would doing the full 6 rounds at a double dose be okay,or would it be better to do the full 6 at a single dose?

Edited by SynthHermit

A mod would have to confirm for you, but I would so single dosed five day treatments. Seeing as they are already exhibiting poor behaviors, keeping things gentle is necessary.

That is, if the mods think it is okay to start Prazi while having to treat the other symptoms.

What does your fishy medicine cabinet look like?

A mod would have to confirm for you, but I would so single dosed five day treatments. Seeing as they are already exhibiting poor behaviors, keeping things gentle is necessary.

That is, if the mods think it is okay to start Prazi while having to treat the other symptoms.

What does your fishy medicine cabinet look like?

I've got salt, Prazi, and a single dose of Tetracycline on hand. Also there's a store about 20-30 minutes away where I've found a liquid form of MetroMeds,but couldn't afford to buy it at the time I was there.

Gulping can be a sign of flukes if I remember correctly?

Gulping can be a sign of many things. That's why I said we should wait for a Mod.

Pixel's breathing is concerning, as well as how you explained Glitch's behavior around the filter. It's important that we don't just settle on one idea of what's going on, as there could be so many things that could be wrong. I know that sounds kind of horrible, but it is safer to understand and then treat than to assume and treat only possibilities.

Have You confirmed that the medicine at the store is indeed the liquid form of MMs? Do you have a place nearby that carries Seachem powdered Metronidazole and/or Kanaplex in case we need it?

At the moment, we just need to get all the information together for the Mod team so they can help. ;)

Gulping can be a sign of many things. That's why I said we should wait for a Mod.

Pixel's breathing is concerning, as well as how you explained Glitch's behavior around the filter. It's important that we don't just settle on one idea of what's going on, as there could be so many things that could be wrong. I know that sounds kind of horrible, but it is safer to understand and then treat than to assume and treat only possibilities.

Have You confirmed that the medicine at the store is indeed the liquid form of MMs? Do you have a place nearby that carries Seachem powdered Metronidazole and/or Kanaplex in case we need it?

At the moment, we just need to get all the information together for the Mod team so they can help. ;)

I completely understand. c:

It seems like since I put the stocking over the filter intake that Glitch has been staying away from it. It could be that he just didn't recognize what it was due to being a different shape/color than at the store,but whatever the reason he's not going near it.

I know the meds at the store was liquid metronidazole despite not fully remembering the name,but I'm fairly certain it was MetroMeds, and the store where I got these two say they carry the full Seachem line, so they should have it there.

The few uneaten food pellets that were on the tank bottom have disappeared while I was in the shower, and have been replaced by some new poos, some of which are the color of their food. Some quite short, others about what I would consider average length for a goldie their size.

Other than their gulping and getting pushed when going under the outflow(which I think is understandable,given their size), they seem to be doing okay. I think Pixel may have been trying to chew something, because his breathing looks more normal now.

I moved the airstone a few hours ago and turned it back on(had turned it off before, too much current), so now it's sitting about 2 inches below the water level, bubbling away,and neither seem to mind it.

I'll probably be heading off to bed soon since I have to get up early, but I'll update again as soon as I can in the morning. c:

MetroMeds are a product by Goldfish Connection only available through their website. The pellet form is the only form they sell, and contains much more than just Metronidazole. :) What you saw is something I had never heard of before so I was curious.

I asked about the Seachem Metro and Kana powders just in case we needed to treat immediately, so the team knows this can be done.

I'm glad Pixel seems to be getting calmer in his breathing and that Glitch has learned to stay away from the scary filter. Looking forward to your morning update. Maybe a Mod will sneak in like Santa overnight and provide an idea of what treatment should be. :teehee

Edited by ChelseaM

Please follow Chelsea's directions. She's been giving you fantastic suggestions. :)

Thanks, Chelsea!

Edit: I agree that treatment for flukes should commence sooner rather than later. There was a fair bit of clamping.

Thanks Alex and Chelsea. c:

I fed them before leaving this morning, and they were all gone when I got back a few minutes ago. Pixel seems to have quite a few white-ish slimy looking patches on him today that weren't nearly as noticable yesterday. I've got a video uploading now.

Should I go ahead and start the Prazi? Or should I do a W/C first?

EDIT

Edited by SynthHermit

My thought here is that 7.0 pH is rather on the low side, I'd suggest a minimum of 7.2pH (fully stable, never dropping below!!) for goldfish on the long run. 7.5 or a bit higher would be preferred. A low pH like that can certainly account for the symptoms you mentioned in your initial post.

Salt & Prazi as suggested anyway, but if I did not misread the pH issue, then the pH is a major issue and needs to be taken care of asap. :)

• Supporter

Hope your new fish feel better! I got a few from a chain store and the were not looking so good at first but after a few days of really clean water salt and low stress they started to look great. They just were not taken good care of until hey came home with me. You'll do a great job!

They seem to be taking the treatment fairly well thus far.

They're both clamping and don't seem to be quite as active as before, but I'm assuming that this is from the flukes reacting to the meds making them uncomfortable?

The meds will make them feel yucky for a couple of days. If it extends past three days, there will be a need for other medicines. It would be good to see video, if you've got the chance. :)

I think Glitch will bulk up just fine. That's how my new little one looked when I got him, and he's now beginning to bulk up, after about a month on the ProGold and bloodworms. Just give him good food and he'll come around.

I'm hoping it's just the meds. c:

And that's good to know about Glitch.

I did notice Glitch's poo was stringy,where as Pixels was normal. Which is making me think that Pixel is being a pig and eating most of the food.