Sign in to follow this  
meatisadelicacy

Am I just awesome at treating Dropsy, or...?

Thursday the 11th very late at night I noticed my little ranchu girl was pine coning. I immediately took her out of the tank and put her in qt, started salting her, and started her on metro meds (I bought them a while back just in case, thank god). She was floaty, one side was more bloated than the other, and she was definitely pine coning. The following day I increased her salt and did 100% water changes every day. Oh and she had an air stone. Literally 4 days later she looked 100% back to normal. Swimming just fine, no floating, no pine coning, just a happy little fish. Now more than two weeks later, she still looks perfectly fine.

I guess my question is this: is she safe to go back in the main tank? Did I really cure her? Is dropsy ever curable? And I don't have any tank readings because it was about 1am when I saw she was sick. I also cleaned out one of the filters completely and have done several water changes since. (And I figured she was a goner, though I had to try).

Thanks so much, everyone.

I'd like for you to please fill out the form at the top of the page. Also, please provide the following:

1. Epsom or Regular salt:
  2. Concentration of salt:
  3. Duration of salt treatment:

Dropsy can be treated, but once a fish has had it, there is always a chance that it may occur again. I can think of a few members who have had fish have dropsy more than once.

Edited by teleSC

How long did you feed the metro meds?

What did you mean by increased the salt?

I used Aquarium Salt from Petsmart. I started the salt with 10 teaspoons/10 gallons, then increased it to 20 teaspoons/10 gallons. I salted for 16 days. At the moment she is salt free (waiting to hear if you guys think she's safe to go back with the others).

She's been eating metromeds since the 11th. For the past few days she's been getting some peas too.

Any other salt but Epsom salt is bad for fish with dropsy. It retains the fluids instead of releasing it. It is 1/4 tsp. per ten gallons for Epsom salt.

Also, how many pellets have you been feeding of metro meds? What is the weight of your fish?

Dropsy can be treated, but once a fish has had it, there is always a chance that it may occur again. I can think of a few members who have had fish have dropsy more than once.

:teehee. :rofl Edited by mikeydude319

Aquarium salt/sodium chloride is actually not good for dropsy fish, because it encourages water retention.

Anyway, you are doing a good job, and things appear to be on course. Keep up with medication, and update us, please. :)

Okay so should I get epsom salt? Or just continue with the meds and no salt? She's been getting 4-5 pellets 3 times a day. I'll weigh her later tonight when I change her water. Thanks, all.

If there is no swelling/bloating/pineconing, you don't need to add Epsom.

A 26 g fish would need about 10 pellets per day for 1% body weight so you might want to cut back just a titch. :D

Okay so if there's no swelling anymore, and she's been getting the proper amount of meds, how much longer do you all think she needs?

Again, thanks to everyone for your help! Mistress Cara the ranchu says thanks too. Blub.

How many days has she been on MMs and how long since the swelling has been gone? :idont

I just want to say that I'm glad your fish is doing better. :)

May she go into the main tank soon.

I just want to say that I'm glad your fish is doing better. :)

May she go into the main tank soon.

Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.

How many days has she been on MMs and how long since the swelling has been gone? :idont

She's been on metromeds since I first saw the dropsy, which was the 11th. The swelling was gone by the 15th and has been just fine since.

So she's been on the MMs for just over a couple of weeks since the symptoms disappeared . . . if that's the case, you can stop them if you haven't already.

:D

Hope your fish gets better! Much fishy love <3

Okay. I will stop the meds. When do you think it's safe for her to go back in the main tank? Thanks!

Leave her in the QT for 3-5 days to make sure that she continues to do well. Then you can move her back!

I'm glad she is doing well and has recovered completely! :)