Sign in to follow this  
Ele

Upgrading

Hi my names Eleanor and I am new to this site. I have a question(s) concerning upgrading my aquarium. I have bought a 30 gallon aquarium for my one Ryukin goldfish. She is currently in a 20 and I wanted to give her more space. I also bought a 55/75 Aqueon filter which runs at 400 gph. Anyway, after looking all over the internet I haven't been able to find the answer to my upgrading questions which are:

Can I put my new filter on my old aquarium to "prep" it for the new aquarium or will that make all my levels (bacteria, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ect.) off? If so could I just soak my new filter cartridges in a bucket of old aquarium water to transfer the beneficial bacteria? I am planning on putting my old water in my new aquarium but my filter cartridges aren't the same size so there isn't really anyway for me to use an old one in my new filter to start the build up of good bacteria.

I hope I posted this in the right spot and I hope all of this makes sense!

Thank you guys so much!

You can move your new filter to your old tank, yes. Also, you can take your old filter, and place it on your new tank, so your friend can enjoy all that extra space. :)

Regarding the old tank water, just put fresh water in your new tank. Beneficial bacteria is mostly found in your filter media, so there's really not much benefit to moving old water over. :) Good for you, for giving your fish so much space. Be sure to post pictures!

Welcome to Kokos. We're very glad to have you!

:hi and welcome!

:rofl ^^What Tammy said. You took the words out of my mouth. :rofl

Thank you so much for the super quick replies and the warm welcome! That answered all my questions, I just didn't want to kill everything and cause my fish to suffer. I'm off work Tuesday and I can't wait to get it up and running! :D I will try to post some pictures sometime soon!

Welcome! :)

Welcome to the forum :D

Welcome to the site, Ele. You've received some good advice thus far. :)

Hello and Welcome to koko's :)

Just put the filter media from your old cycled filter in your new filter :)

welcome! :hi

:hi and welcome to Koko's ! This is a great forum with wonderful people and lots of collective knowledge!!

BTW I :heart your name and if I ever had a girl baby she would be Eleanor... Its a family name :D

I agree with the above mentioned new water in new tank and old filter media to seed your new filter :goodluck

Okay so I'm going to drain the water out and just fill the new one with new water and an old filter cartridge, thank you all so much for your help! I would be making this a lot harder on myself if it wasn't for all the help!

:hi and welcome to Koko's ! This is a great forum with wonderful people and lots of collective knowledge!!

BTW I :heart your name and if I ever had a girl baby she would be Eleanor... Its a family name :D

I agree with the above mentioned new water in new tank and old filter media to seed your new filter :goodluck

Yall certainly do have a whole ton of knowledge!! :)

and thank you so much for the complement! Surprisingly it isn't a family name for us my dad just randomly named me that :P

:hi welcome!

I just put my old media in my new filter when I moved to the bigger tank. Since the media was too small for the new filter I put new media in there as well. Everything was together in the filter for a couple months and then threw out the old stuff to fit bio max in there instead! I didn't have a cycle bump but I was testing often just in case :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2