Sign in to follow this  
AnnaMNR

Is 400 gph enough for a 55 gallon?

I want to know if I have to buy another filter, and if so, what size? The one I have now is a 90 gallon

It's recommended to have 10x the turnover rate for goldfish so 550 gph for your 55 gallon tank. A lot of us here including myself also prefer to run 2 filters in case one breaks. If the filter you have now is not causing any problems in your tank and you only have the one fish, I think you could get away with it :) let's see what others have to say as well.

What type of filter are you using?

Edited by sarajo

I want to know if I have to buy another filter, and if so, what size? The one I have now is a 90 gallon

As Sara Jo asked, what filter are you using?

The normal recommended filtration rate for aquariums is 7.5x-10x+, but this will also depend on your set up, stocking, and type of filter being used.

I agree with the 10x for a fully stocked tank. I think I would want 2 filters on a 55 gallon anyway due to the length of the tank. The side without the filter wouldn't have much flow at all.

I agree with the 10x for a fully stocked tank. I think I would want 2 filters on a 55 gallon anyway due to the length of the tank. The side without the filter wouldn't have much flow at all.

my tank is a 50 gallon and I actually have three on there... a AC 110 , then the 20 then the 70 on there in that order.... this give plenty of water movement on the tank :)

I am using 400 gph on my so called 55 gallon that only holds about 42 gallons of water.