Ready to Add Fish Yet?

I've been cycling my new 75 gallon tank for 8 days and I have some questions. I tested today and I started to get some nitrate but my ammonia and nitrite is 0. I'm currently using a canister filter with bio media along with filter floss and sponge. I also put in all tank decorations and gravel from my smaller tank to this one. If I'm just starting to see nitrate what's going to happen to my ammonia and nitrite? My Ph is also around 7.5. I haven't tested my tap water for anything but Ph and for that its 7.0. Should I introduce some ammonia to the tank to get things going?

Yea my fish are in my old tank. 2 goldfish. I have tested 3 times throughout the 8 days and nitrate, ammonia and nitrite were all zero until I got some nitrate today when I tested. Tap water tests: Ammonia: 0 Nitrate: 0 Nitrite: 0. Should I add crushed coral to make my pH go up since 7.5 is a bit low or is it ok?

I find it strange that you got nitrate first. Unless the tank was cycled immediately by the old media and rocks etc. Usually ammonia shows up first. Then nitrite. Then nitrate. But with no fish in the tank, people need to add the ammonia themselves. I am interested to see what the experts say. I think the ph is fine. Honestly I think I would just put the 2 fish into the 75 cause it is big enough. Just watch to be sure the ammonia doesn't get too high and if it does change out most of the water. Also, Don't listen to anything I just said.

Edited by DieselPlower

Is the fish's current tank cycled? If so why not transfer teh fish and the old filter to the new tank? :idont

Edit: If your pH is stable at 7.5 I wouldn't mess with it. Do you know your KH?

Edited by fantailfan1

Yea I was thinking of just adding the other filter but I'd have to cut a hole in the hood which I will probably do eventually anyway. If my nitrates go up and my ammonia and nitrite stay stable I'll add the fish and just closely watch it and if not put the other filter on there.

Can you take the media out of the current/cycled filter and add it to your new filter? :idont

Your fish are the ammonia source so you either would need to add your fish or some ammonia . . .

If it were me, I'd add the fish along with all the media I can and then test daily for ammonia and nitrites. If you choose to go this route, just let us know your parameters daily and we can guide you through it. If you are able to move a bunch of media, you shouldn't see much of a cycle bump. Feed lightly and test your water. :D

I will test the water tomorrow and put my smaller fish in first and yea I'll just test everyday and ask about any problems I might have. Should I leave the light off for now or does it matter?

I can probably get most of it. I used to use cartridges so I I will just cut them up and separate the carbon and floss. I know not to use carbon now but its got my cycle so it will have to be there for awhile.